Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fanatic View Post

I think it's a great looking book especially for the price!
    I agree. I like the stamping on the cover.

Comment

So Camelot put some rare Centipede titles up today. THE OTHER and THE SEARCH FOR JOSEPH TULLY for $995 each and THE AUCTIONEER for $750. TULLY already sold, which doesn’t surprise me considering how rarely it goes up for sale, at least from what I’ve seen. Camelot’s price for THE OTHER makes me feel good about my recent purchase of a copy for $225.

Comment

Two more scarce titles put up: DELIVER ME FROM EVA ($995) and CHILD OF RAGE ($395). Wish I had a bunch of extra money just laying around.

Comment

I have Centipede's CHILD OF RAGE, THE OTHER, THE AUCTIONEER, and DELIVER ME FROM EVA, but never did pick up TULLY and certainly regret it. I'd love to have it, but not for $995. I had a trade offer once...TULLY for my copy of Sloane's TO WALK THE NIGHT / EDGE OF RUNNING WATER, but that was a non-starter...love Sloane's books and, honestly, TULLY isn't that rewarding of a read (though admittedly it's been a while since I read it).
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I agree with your pass on the Sloane/TULLY trade. TO WALK THE NIGHT/EDGE OF RUNNING WATER is a up on my grail list. Camelot has a copy but for $1500. That’s just a whole lot of money.

CHILD OF RAGE is the one I’m least interested in. I’ve never read Thompson, but from the reviews I’ve read CHILD is “lesser Thompson”. I’m more interested in getting the set of five Thompson books Centipede did before picking CHILD up. THE AUCTIONEER and EVA I’m interested in, but this prices are a little prohibitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
              I agree with your pass on the Sloane/TULLY trade. TO WALK THE NIGHT/EDGE OF RUNNING WATER is a up on my grail list. Camelot has a copy but for $1500. That’s just a whole lot of money.

CHILD OF RAGE is the one I’m least interested in. I’ve never read Thompson, but from the reviews I’ve read CHILD is “lesser Thompson”. I’m more interested in getting the set of five Thompson books Centipede did before picking CHILD up. THE AUCTIONEER and EVA I’m interested in, but this prices are a little prohibitive.
              Jeez louise, $1500...? I'm a bit stunned by how much resale $$ I have tied up in all these (and others) Centipede editions.

You're right to avoid CHILD OF RAGE in favor of other earlier, classic Thompson. I'm pretty versed in Jim Thompson's body of work, and CHILD OF RAGE is definitely later, lesser Thompson. The five that Centipede did of the other titles are not his necessarily THE five best, but they are certainly among the best. There are a number of other great Thompson titles that I hope Centipede will bring out at some point...easily five more to make a Best Of set.

Comment

You’re sitting on a gold mine! if you don’t mind me asking, what is the extent of your Centipede Press collection?

Centipede Press books have really taken off in the last five to seven years. I remember when I first started collecting eleven or so years ago, It wasn’t too hard to find most Centipede Press books, There was always an exception of the really hard to find titles, but a lot could be found reasonably. Not anymore.

I’m still kicking myself for not picking up a copy of THE CADAVER OF GIDEON WYCK when I visited Dark Delicacies in Los Angeles a few years back. I believe it was like $110 or something.

As for the Thompson books, what are the others that you hope Centipede will do?

Comment

You’re sitting on a gold mine! if you don’t mind me asking, what is the extent of your Centipede Press collection?

Centipede Press books have really taken off in the last five to seven years. I remember when I first started collecting eleven or so years ago, It wasn’t too hard to find most Centipede Press books, There was always an exception of the really hard to find titles, but a lot could be found reasonably. Not anymore.

I’m still kicking myself for not picking up a copy of THE CADAVER OF GIDEON WYCK when I visited Dark Delicacies in Los Angeles a few years back. I believe it was like $110 or something.

As for the Thompson books, what are the others that you hope Centipede will do?
                  I just pulled up my Access book collection database and did a search for "Centipede" and got 120 hits...did another for "Millipede" and got 4...so apparently I have 124 individual titles from the publisher.

As far as the other Thompson titles...boy, I'd have to give that one some thought to give a reasoned reply, but off the top of my head I'd at least include these four: THE GETAWAY, RECOIL, SAVAGE NIGHT, and AFTER DARK, MY SWEET...that fifth selection would be a tough one, as there's still close to a half-dozen good ones to go.

My main Centipede regrets are passing on all the David Goodis crime titles and, later, on the first four Library of Weird Fiction volumes (Poe, Hodgson, Lovecraft, and...Blackwood?) at $100 total for the four-volume set (friend selling them, who just didn't want them).
                  Last edited by RonClinton; 05-14-2021, 06:58 PM.

Comment

That’s a lot of titles! I’m somewhere north of seventy, but most all are titles from the last few years.

Thanks for the Thompson titles. I’ve noted them and will be tracking those down in paperback. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for Centipede editions.

Yeah, the Goodis books are near impossible to find now. I’d love copies of those as well.

That deal for the Library of Weird Fiction deals was a good one. I paid $175 for the Hodgson book alone. The Blackwood goes for insanely high amounts now. Sorry that you regret passing. I think we all have those deals we passed on for one reason or another and it comes back to haunt us.

Comment

That’s a lot of titles! I’m somewhere north of seventy, but most all are titles from the last few years.

Thanks for the Thompson titles. I’ve noted them and will be tracking those down in paperback. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for Centipede editions.

Yeah, the Goodis books are near impossible to find now. I’d love copies of those as well.

That deal for the Library of Weird Fiction deals was a good one. I paid $175 for the Hodgson book alone. The Blackwood goes for insanely high amounts now. Sorry that you regret passing. I think we all have those deals we passed on for one reason or another and it comes back to haunt us.
                      $175 is still a great deal...these days that Hodgson is around $300 or $400. Haunted is right...$25 for each of the four...man oh man.

Comment

Are you the one who outbid me on that a few weeks ago? If so- congrats (grudgingly )

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

Are you the one who outbid me on that a few weeks ago? If so- congrats (grudgingly )
                          Nope, that one wasn’t me though I was watching that auction to see where it landed. I got mine off ABE. It popped up one day and I swooped on it.

I thought I found a copy of Swords and Deviltry about a week or so ago for around $325-ish,but was contacted by the seller later stating it already sold.

Comment

Nope, that one wasn’t me though I was watching that auction to see where it landed. I got mine off ABE. It popped up one day and I swooped on it.

I thought I found a copy of Swords and Deviltry about a week or so ago for around $325-ish,but was contacted by the seller later stating it already sold.
                            Ah. Nice grab then. Yeah, like Ron, I regret not buying those first few LoWF titles (I did buy the Lovecraft, thankfully, as I avidly collect him, but not the others). Was that $325 for a signed SWORDS & DEVILTRY?

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

Ah. Nice grab then. Yeah, like Ron, I regret not buying those first few LoWF titles (I did buy the Lovecraft, thankfully, as I avidly collect him, but not the others). Was that $325 for a signed SWORDS & DEVILTRY?
                              It was an unsigned copy. Still very expensive, but I figured I’d bite the bullet to complete the collection as I came to the series late. Other copies I’ve seen for sale are over the $500.

I’ve been eyeing a copy of the Lovecraft LoWF for around $350, but it’s hard to pull the trigger at that price point. One day, maybe. Congrats on having the good sense I was lacking on picking up at least one of the initial LoWF titles when first offered.

As a Lovecraft fan, are you chomping at the bit for Centipede’s forthcoming letterpress edition of At The Mountains of Madness?

Comment

THE HOT SPOT on the Camelot site for $995...I remember when they had copies for like $50-$60!

Comment

Working...
                                X