X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I read the trilogy. Not overly impressed with the subsequent titles. I hate to say it, but I think he really meant for Dune to be a stand alone. I think the Commercial temptation was just too much and I can't blame him for that, people have to make a living. Dune is the Classic, not the series. Just my opinion.
    That’s what I heard…the first is tremendous and subsequent volumes give diminishing returns (though notably some seem to really like the third).

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    I hope everyone that wanted a copy and were willing to pay the price were able to get one.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Didn't even try for this one. Love the book but I'm not in this tax bracket.

Congrats to all that picked up a copy. I'm sure it will be awesome.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Believe it or not, I’ve never read DUNE — I just wasn’t a sci-fi reader in my youth like so many — so I bought the signed with the assumption that I’ll love it and will need the full set. I certainly hope it’s the case that a first reading of DUNE can have as much impact upon one later in life than it’s clearly had with so many in their youth…or maybe even more…?
    I read the trilogy. Not overly impressed with the subsequent titles. I hate to say it, but I think he really meant for Dune to be a stand alone. I think the Commercial temptation was just too much and I can't blame him for that, people have to make a living. Dune is the Classic, not the series. Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    The next time I'm back in the 253 I'm definitely going to drive over there. Wish I knew about it in August when I drove down the waterfront.

Pictures of the book in the park will be a cool theme - something not everyone will be able to do.

There's a lot of interesting articles (especially the last few years) about Herbert and Tacoma if anyone wants more info.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Related - I knew Frank Herbert was a Tacoma native, but I didn't realize Metro Parks Tacoma actually named one of their attractions in honor of Herbert.

You can read about Dune Peninsula here.

I also love the sculpture they installed:
    c1eUreEqT_Vp4b2iNMfWsgI0L9uYDOhSTkFukpReZ8w.jpg
    Okay, now that’s pretty cool…I also had no idea. Given that that’s less than an hour from me, it might make for a fun short road trip for me to go down there (on some rare day it doesn’t rain) once I have the Centipede edition in hand and take a few shots of book-in-park to share.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    And sold out. Guess that takes the fretting I've been doing out of the equation.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Related - I knew Frank Herbert was a Tacoma native, but I didn't realize Metro Parks Tacoma actually named one of their attractions in honor of Herbert.

You can read about Dune Peninsula here.

I also love the sculpture they installed:
    c1eUreEqT_Vp4b2iNMfWsgI0L9uYDOhSTkFukpReZ8w.jpg

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    I went with the unsigned because I'm not interested in the entire series, Just Dune. I didn't want to create a bunch of orphans...LOL!
    Believe it or not, I’ve never read DUNE — I just wasn’t a sci-fi reader in my youth like so many — so I bought the signed with the assumption that I’ll love it and will need the full set. I certainly hope it’s the case that a first reading of DUNE can have as much impact upon one later in life than it’s clearly had with so many in their youth…or maybe even more…?

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    I went with the unsigned because I'm not interested in the entire series, Just Dune. I didn't want to create a bunch of orphans...LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    I got a signed copy of Dune. $660 with shipping in the US. Unsigned is $610 with shipping.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Still waiting, too…guess I wasn’t fortunate enough to be in the first group, so hopefully I’ll have better luck in the second notification.

Edit: Got it.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 10-24-2021, 04:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Ouch. That’s probably out of my budget. I’m interested but not sure I have that much interest.

Thanks.
    Last edited by TacomaDiver; 10-24-2021, 04:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    $660 shipped in the US for signed, $610 for unsigned.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Still waiting. How much was it? I’m. It sure how much I can spend.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X