SST Publications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    SST is in my top four publishers with Suntup, CP, and CD. There are other publishers I like for sure, but these are the four that have the greatest stopping power for me.

I passed on the SGJ book because we just went through a round of layoffs and I'm feeling really shaky. And yes, I did buy the Suntup edition so don't point out the failed logic to me--I'm well aware that I'm broken. But I didn't pass on it easily. SST does fantastic work with a low price point. His Lansdale stuff is amazing. The Tremblay books are next level, though I'm a Daniel Serra fan-boy. And The Silence is underpriced in my opinion. That Francois Vaillincourt is stellar.
    You could always order through Camelot and pay when it ships. And I agree with each of your comments about SST's books. So good. I kinda feel like they're underrated in general.

Comment

I love SST but passed on the SGJ book. He’s one of those authors that is hot and miss and I couldn’t find myself purchasing a book that I might or might not like. I do love the cover art.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
        I love SST but passed on the SGJ book. He’s one of those authors that is hot and miss and I couldn’t find myself purchasing a book that I might or might not like. I do love the cover art.
        Same. I’ve tried SGJ twice, and he didn’t click with me either time, so while I was tempted, it was more for my affinity for SST’s design and production work than the book itself. So I passed.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

My copy of Paul Tremblay's GROWING THINGS AND OTHER STORIES arrived today...beautiful production, as always. If there's a UK publisher putting giving customers more bang for their buck than SST, I don't know who it is...their books are gorgeous, and they just seem to keep getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
            My copy of Paul Tremblay's GROWING THINGS AND OTHER STORIES arrived today...beautiful production, as always. If there's a UK publisher putting giving customers more bang for their buck than SST, I don't know who it is...their books are gorgeous, and they just seem to keep getting better.
            Same, and agreed. Paul at SST has really been filling an important niche "over there" that has been in increasingly shorter supply over "here": namely, the thoughtfully designed and nicely executed Horror $40-$50 signed limited edition. He has admirably slid into that spot that perennial All-Stars like Subpress has all but abandoned for Modern Fantasy (yawn- sorry, Bill!), and that CD (Sorry, Mods!) has had trouble after trouble just getting out the door (Again, sorry guys! We know you are doing your best, and we are here, patiently waiting for the books to start rolling again).

After the aforementioned Big Two- who've not been consistently feeding our addiction- we are pretty much left with Centipede & Suntup as viable publishers of the kind of books we like. Unfortunately- their books are expensive. Very. I was a huge fan of Suntup's Gift Editions, but, they just increased the price 100% from the last one. Not 10%, not 20%. 100%. That's now a $130, unsigned GIFT EDITION. I'm sure it will be nice, but- that's just too much for me. Centipede is interesting in that you never know what anything is going to cost! Sometimes you get the really high end (Hill House), or sometimes you get a flat-out bargain (A MOUNTAIN WALKED, ANUBIS GATES, and tons more). But, the bread and butter consistent $40-$50 horror S/L that we used to count on from Dark Harvest, CD, Subpress? Been a dinosaur this last decade. Thank you SST!

Comment

Have you seen SST's The Silence? It gave me strong Centipede Press vibes. Just quality all the way around.

Comment

I have Westlake Soul and The Only Good Indians on order from SST. I haven't read either of them yet, but TOGI has been getting great reviews from the mainstream press, so I'm expecting good things.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

Have you seen SST's The Silence? It gave me strong Centipede Press vibes. Just quality all the way around.
                  No, I skipped that one as I have a signed UK tpb 1st of it. That said, I loved the book and have been giving a lot of thought to picking up the SST edition. Good to know it’s a similarly impressive volume.

Comment

Westlake Soul is a great read. Made me cry three different times.

I don't cry often. Maybe it was just something specific to me. IDK.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                    I have Westlake Soul and The Only Good Indians on order from SST. I haven't read either of them yet, but TOGI has been getting great reviews from the mainstream press, so I'm expecting good things.
                    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I do have WESTLAKE SOUL on pre-order.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                        Westlake Soul is a great read. Made me cry three different times.

I don't cry often. Maybe it was just something specific to me. IDK.

Not just you. That book made both me and my wife cry. It’s such an overlooked gem of a book. I can’t want for SST’s edition. I love it so much I wish they were doing a Suntup-style super-deluxe high end edition.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post
                          That's now a $130, unsigned GIFT EDITION.
                          Technically they ARE signed, but just by the artist. I know it's not what you mean, but I just wanted to clarify.

Yeah, the prices of the Suntup gift editions have gone up significantly, but I personally think that the price can be seen in the productions. I was surprised that Paul was able to produce those editions so cheaply and apparently he was actually losing money on each AGE.

But to get myself back in topic, SST does phenomenal editions! I'm pretty sure I had ordered The Silence through CD (I really need to keep better track of my preorders), so I can't wait to finally add that title to my library.

Comment

I just took the dive and preordered Westlake Soul and The Only Good Indians from Camelot. I've been well pleased with the Tremblay books and Paranoia Tango by Ray Garton, so I suspect I will not be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                              I just took the dive and preordered Westlake Soul and The Only Good Indians from Camelot. I've been well pleased with the Tremblay books and Paranoia Tango by Ray Garton, so I suspect I will not be disappointed.
                              I have Westlake Soul on pre-order. I keep hearing good things about The Only Good Indians but the only other book I have read from this author was Mapping the Interior and I was less than impressed.

Comment

No, I skipped that one as I have a signed UK tpb 1st of it. That said, I loved the book and have been giving a lot of thought to picking up the SST edition. Good to know it’s a similarly impressive volume.
                                The Silence is one of my favorite books and the SST edition is a perfect edition.I love it. It's a beautiful edition and if you love the book I'd jump on this edition while it's still available.

Comment

Working...
                                X