X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

Have you seen SST's The Silence? It gave me strong Centipede Press vibes. Just quality all the way around.
    No, I skipped that one as I have a signed UK tpb 1st of it. That said, I loved the book and have been giving a lot of thought to picking up the SST edition. Good to know it’s a similarly impressive volume.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    I have Westlake Soul and The Only Good Indians on order from SST. I haven't read either of them yet, but TOGI has been getting great reviews from the mainstream press, so I'm expecting good things.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    My copy of Paul Tremblay's GROWING THINGS AND OTHER STORIES arrived today...beautiful production, as always. If there's a UK publisher putting giving customers more bang for their buck than SST, I don't know who it is...their books are gorgeous, and they just seem to keep getting better.
    Have you seen SST's The Silence? It gave me strong Centipede Press vibes. Just quality all the way around.

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    My copy of Paul Tremblay's GROWING THINGS AND OTHER STORIES arrived today...beautiful production, as always. If there's a UK publisher putting giving customers more bang for their buck than SST, I don't know who it is...their books are gorgeous, and they just seem to keep getting better.
    Same, and agreed. Paul at SST has really been filling an important niche "over there" that has been in increasingly shorter supply over "here": namely, the thoughtfully designed and nicely executed Horror $40-$50 signed limited edition. He has admirably slid into that spot that perennial All-Stars like Subpress has all but abandoned for Modern Fantasy (yawn- sorry, Bill!), and that CD (Sorry, Mods!) has had trouble after trouble just getting out the door (Again, sorry guys! We know you are doing your best, and we are here, patiently waiting for the books to start rolling again).

After the aforementioned Big Two- who've not been consistently feeding our addiction- we are pretty much left with Centipede & Suntup as viable publishers of the kind of books we like. Unfortunately- their books are expensive. Very. I was a huge fan of Suntup's Gift Editions, but, they just increased the price 100% from the last one. Not 10%, not 20%. 100%. That's now a $130, unsigned GIFT EDITION. I'm sure it will be nice, but- that's just too much for me. Centipede is interesting in that you never know what anything is going to cost! Sometimes you get the really high end (Hill House), or sometimes you get a flat-out bargain (A MOUNTAIN WALKED, ANUBIS GATES, and tons more). But, the bread and butter consistent $40-$50 horror S/L that we used to count on from Dark Harvest, CD, Subpress? Been a dinosaur this last decade. Thank you SST!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    I love SST but passed on the SGJ book. He’s one of those authors that is hot and miss and I couldn’t find myself purchasing a book that I might or might not like. I do love the cover art.
    Same. I’ve tried SGJ twice, and he didn’t click with me either time, so while I was tempted, it was more for my affinity for SST’s design and production work than the book itself. So I passed.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    I love SST but passed on the SGJ book. He’s one of those authors that is hot and miss and I couldn’t find myself purchasing a book that I might or might not like. I do love the cover art.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    SST is in my top four publishers with Suntup, CP, and CD. There are other publishers I like for sure, but these are the four that have the greatest stopping power for me.

I passed on the SGJ book because we just went through a round of layoffs and I'm feeling really shaky. And yes, I did buy the Suntup edition so don't point out the failed logic to me--I'm well aware that I'm broken. But I didn't pass on it easily. SST does fantastic work with a low price point. His Lansdale stuff is amazing. The Tremblay books are next level, though I'm a Daniel Serra fan-boy. And The Silence is underpriced in my opinion. That Francois Vaillincourt is stellar.
    You could always order through Camelot and pay when it ships. And I agree with each of your comments about SST's books. So good. I kinda feel like they're underrated in general.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    SST is in my top four publishers with Suntup, CP, and CD. There are other publishers I like for sure, but these are the four that have the greatest stopping power for me.

I passed on the SGJ book because we just went through a round of layoffs and I'm feeling really shaky. And yes, I did buy the Suntup edition so don't point out the failed logic to me--I'm well aware that I'm broken. But I didn't pass on it easily. SST does fantastic work with a low price point. His Lansdale stuff is amazing. The Tremblay books are next level, though I'm a Daniel Serra fan-boy. And The Silence is underpriced in my opinion. That Francois Vaillincourt is stellar.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    And at such a reasonable price. I jumped on it!
    Yeah, their price points make it very easy to pick up a title or two! That's nice in this current age of everything being $100+. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the editions being put out there by everyone, but occasionally it's nice to have these lower price points that don't break the bank. And they're really nice editions!

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    And at such a reasonable price. I jumped on it!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    SST continues to surprise me with their announcements. It's like they have a direct link to my mind and announce titles that are so spot on. I was just thinking the other week that someone should do limiteds of Stephen Graham Jones's novels and--bam!--THE ONLY GOOD INDIANS is announced. I've heard some amazing buzz about this title and I'm glad I'll be able to read it in a nice SST edition. Hopefully, SST will do what they did with Tremblay and continue to add more of his titles to the line-up.

I do miss out on the thank you notes, though. I order through Camelot for all of my SST titles so presumably Kim at Camelot gets a nice big thank you note from SST.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just received my copy of Growing Things from SST. As usual, the production is top notch. Really happy that there's interior art work and wish more limited editions would go back to adding that as a standard feature. Also appreciate the handwritten thank you note from the publisher. Always a classy touch! SST is fast becoming one of my favorite/go-to publishers for limited editions. Their products really turn out great and the turnaround time to receive them is always fast. Just placed my order for Stephen Graham Jones' "The Only Good Indians" and know that SST will knock that book out of the park as well. I really dig the cover artwork for it. Also am excited to hear that they will be publishing a limited for Mongrels as I loved that SGJ book and know that I will pick up a copy when it is available for preorder!

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    I'm just happy that things seem to be turning around here. I mean it's been one thing after the other. Some can't seem to catch a break.

Anyway I'm happy to be getting a nice copy of The Silence. One of my favorite books.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

Is that directed at a publisher in particular? LOL

Anyway, I think Centipede had it figured out first. And I think Jerad does it amazingly well. I purchased the Falling Angel set in June and I'll have it by early august. I almost didn't put it on my lengthy Preorder list because I would take it off of there so soon.
    Very true — Jerad was to the party first and shows ‘em all how to do it with efficiency and style.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X