Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swintek View Post
    Great post, Ron. Way to put things in perspective. So- when are you available to help me with my "portfolio"?
    Okay, since you asked, here’s the formula for investment success:

Buy low, sell high.

Boom. Done. Remember me in your early retirement.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post
      Great post, Ron. Way to put things in perspective. So- when are you available to help me with my "portfolio"?
      I found a lot of good info on this site - https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/in...53/#msg1333153

I diverge a bit by putting more in 401(k)s before other IRAs, but we plan on leaving NJ once we retire, and I'd rather avoid the tax hit now.

The HSA, if you have one, is a great savings tool. My employer offers payroll deductions for HSAs, so I avoid payroll and income taxes on contributions. You can invest most of the money in your HSA (I have to keep $1,000 in cash), and mine is all going to a Vanguard Target Date Fund. I don't use my HSA money - I just pay medical expenses (mostly dental and vision right now) out of pocket and let the money sit in the HSA, unclaimed and growing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

I found a lot of good info on this site - https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/in...53/#msg1333153

I diverge a bit by putting more in 401(k)s before other IRAs, but we plan on leaving NJ once we retire, and I'd rather avoid the tax hit now.

The HSA, if you have one, is a great savings tool. My employer offers payroll deductions for HSAs, so I avoid payroll and income taxes on contributions. You can invest most of the money in your HSA (I have to keep $1,000 in cash), and mine is all going to a Vanguard Target Date Fund. I don't use my HSA money - I just pay medical expenses (mostly dental and vision right now) out of pocket and let the money sit in the HSA, unclaimed and growing.
        Your mention of state income taxes brought my current situation to mind. My office is in Oregon but I live in Washington. Washington has no income tax but Oregon taxes at 9%. I began working from home last January due to my wives health. In March they closed my office and I have worked from home the since then. My employer continues to withdraw State taxes. When I file this year Oregon will have to pay me back all the taxes taken since about mid January. I will have a massive refund this year. My office is closed until at least June and there is talk of allowing us to work remotely permanently. That will equate to a 9% raise. I am averaging over a 12% return on my HSA investment account, it has maintained a very nice return.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Your mention of state income taxes brought my current situation to mind. My office is in Oregon but I live in Washington. Washington has no income tax but Oregon taxes at 9%. I began working from home last January due to my wives health. In March they closed my office and I have worked from home the since then. My employer continues to withdraw State taxes. When I file this year Oregon will have to pay me back all the taxes taken since about mid January. I will have a massive refund this year. My office is closed until at least June and there is talk of allowing us to work remotely permanently. That will equate to a 9% raise. I am averaging over a 12% return on my HSA investment account, it has maintained a very nice return.
          That's great! PA and NJ have a reciprocal tax agreement, so the fact that my office was in PA and I was working from home in NJ has no effect on taxes. They just announced that our building is being sold, and teams are being relocated to Wilmington, DE, downtown Philadelphia, and Pennington, NJ. Most of my team lives close to the old PA office, and the commute to DE is at least 90 mins each way from there, so our manager is pushing to have us classified as full-time remote employees. That would suit me just fine. If I can make it another 10-12 years without getting laid off again, I'll be ready to retire.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

That's great! PA and NJ have a reciprocal tax agreement, so the fact that my office was in PA and I was working from home in NJ has no effect on taxes. They just announced that our building is being sold, and teams are being relocated to Wilmington, DE, downtown Philadelphia, and Pennington, NJ. Most of my team lives close to the old PA office, and the commute to DE is at least 90 mins each way from there, so our manager is pushing to have us classified as full-time remote employees. That would suit me just fine. If I can make it another 10-12 years without getting laid off again, I'll be ready to retire.
            Washington allows Oregon residents to not pay our sales tax by showing Id but Oregon does not reciprocate. I am working on a legacy system that the company is trying to replace. The current estimate is about three years. As long as the stock market does not tank I will be in a position to retire in three years. If the company does not outsource my job to our India partner I should be able to make it to my retirement target. That and the fact that when they dump me I will get a package that includes 1.5 years pay and a year of medical insurance. My goal is to have the house nearly paid off in the three year time frame. Should be able to get pretty close.

Comment

Washington allows Oregon residents to not pay our sales tax by showing Id but Oregon does not reciprocate. I am working on a legacy system that the company is trying to replace. The current estimate is about three years. As long as the stock market does not tank I will be in a position to retire in three years. If the company does not outsource my job to our India partner I should be able to make it to my retirement target. That and the fact that when they dump me I will get a package that includes 1.5 years pay and a year of medical insurance. My goal is to have the house nearly paid off in the three year time frame. Should be able to get pretty close.
              Sounds good. They started trying to offshore my department to India back in 2011, and pretty much gave up on that a couple of years ago. Things finally came to a head when the accountants figured out that having our code done in India and then fixed by us was costing them more than when we just did it in the first place. We still have a small team there, but they are only allowed do the most harmless updates, and I have very little interaction with them these days.

As far as rewriting, we converted from VMS to Linux over the past ten years, and we're converting DCL to Python before DCL support dies off. Every new VP thinks we should rewrite the entire application, and then looks at the estimate to rewrite a 35-year-old Fortran system with 18MM+ lines of code and says "Forget it, carry on..."

All the programmers in my department are in the 51-72 age range, and I think only three of us are under 60. There soon won't be anyone left to offshore

Comment

Just received my copy of Let the Right One In. Gotta say that Suntup has knocked it out of the park again. This book looks amazing. Love the artwork, and the production values of the book itself are spectacular. The continued excellence of these Suntup AGE's makes me doubt that I'll be hopping off the Suntup AGE train anytime soon. I have also always wanted to read Let the Right One In but previously held back as I was waiting until I could find a good harcover copy (which I was never able to do prior to this Suntup edition). Am very happy that I finally have a copy and can't wait to dig-in.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                  Just received my copy of Let the Right One In. Gotta say that Suntup has knocked it out of the park again. This book looks amazing. Love the artwork, and the production values of the book itself are spectacular. The continued excellence of these Suntup AGE's makes me doubt that I'll be hopping off the Suntup AGE train anytime soon. I have also always wanted to read Let the Right One In but previously held back as I was waiting until I could find a good harcover copy (which I was never able to do prior to this Suntup edition). Am very happy that I finally have a copy and can't wait to dig-in.
                  Congratulations. Mine is not scheduled for delivery until Friday. It left Seattle this morning so there is a chance I will have it tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks for getting this thread back on track . For a minute there I thought I was logged into the Edward Jones forum

Comment

Hope you like it. Looking forward to seeing reactions from more people to unfamiliar with the story.

And I agree about the hardcover, it’s bizarre that neither the US or UK publisher has released a new printing for it. As it is the Suntup AGE is cheaper then some prices I’ve seen for mint copies of the UK hardcover (I differentiate the two because the US title has the truncated title Let Me In).

Comment

Received my Artist Edition today. Beautiful production as always. Book is longer than I anticipated at 584 pages. Not sure why I though it would be shorter. This will be my reading copy, now I need to fit it in. Hope I like it!

Comment

Does anyone‘s LTROI jacket have little marks like scuffs or if someone wrote over it? It happened to a few on the Facebook group.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberGhostface View Post
                            Does anyone‘s LTROI jacket have little marks like scuffs or if someone wrote over it? It happened to a few on the Facebook group.
                            Mine does not. Actually looked under a light to make sure and I am able to see what look like machine roller marks that are not visible without the light. No scuff marks or indentations that would come from writing over it.

Comment

Seems like a few folks have mentioned those light roller marks.

Mine does not. Actually looked under a light to make sure and I am able to see what look like machine roller marks that are not visible without the light. No scuff marks or indentations that would come from writing over it.
                              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                                Seems like a few folks have mentioned those light roller marks.

I would not even had noticed them unless I looked at it under light.

Comment

Working...
                                X