No announcement yet.

Thunderstorm Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the lettered edition sold out pretty fast. I’m always curious as to what the final print run will be on these types of preorders. Keene usually gets the biggest runs at Thunderstorm with the majority of the other books hovering around 50-60 copies. I’m hoping this (and Lucia’s book) are a big success for TSB. If the lettered edition sales are any indication it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      Congrats. I went with the limited but wanted the lettered.

I really have a limited book budget and just couldn't help myself here. I'm a book junkie so ramen it is this week.

I was tempted by the lettered, but decided to go for the limited instead…it may not be quite as deluxe, but I’m old-school in that I really prefer my books to have dustjackets, when possible. Plus it’s cheaper, and the savings paid for this morning’s Centipede purchase. I haven’t ordered mine yet since I have until 9/14, but I definitely plan to…can’t miss this one.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
        Congrats. I went with the limited but wanted the lettered.

I really have a limited book budget and just couldn't help myself here. I'm a book junkie so ramen it is this week.

I don’t think you’ll regret that trade off. Food is temporary. Limited editions last forever.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I was tempted by the lettered, but decided to go for the limited instead…it may not be quite as deluxe, but I’m old-school in that I really prefer my books to have dustjackets, when possible. Plus it’s cheaper, and the savings paid for this morning’s Centipede purchase. I haven’t ordered mine yet since I have until 9/14, but I definitely plan to…can’t miss this one.
          I'm with you in that I like dustjackets, too. But I also like a nice-looking book without one as well. I find myself leaning towards one when I've recently purchased too many of the other. Either with or sans dustjacket never makes or breaks the purchase for me unless the design or art is not to my liking. The dustjacket issue also goes by the wayside for me when the book is in a traycase as you don't see the dustjacket on the shelf anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I'm with you in that I like dustjackets, too. But I also like a nice-looking book without one as well. I find myself leaning towards one when I've recently purchased too many of the other. Either with or sans dustjacket never makes or breaks the purchase for me unless the design or art is not to my liking. The dustjacket issue also goes by the wayside for me when the book is in a traycase as you don't see the dustjacket on the shelf anyways.
            Gotta admit, that last statement is the same one that gave me serious pause when earlier deciding between the two…but ultimately it just wasn’t enough to sway the decision to the lettered.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Well, the lettered edition sold out pretty fast. I’m always curious as to what the final print run will be on these types of preorders. Keene usually gets the biggest runs at Thunderstorm with the majority of the other books hovering around 50-60 copies. I’m hoping this (and Lucia’s book) are a big success for TSB. If the lettered edition sales are any indication it should be.
              Biggest non-Keene print run I've seen from TSB was the Paul Tremblay set at 200 copies...and it still hasn't sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post

Biggest non-Keene print run I've seen from TSB was the Paul Tremblay set at 200 copies...and it still hasn't sold out.
                That's interesting, especially for an author who is so popular. I wonder if SST's set had an impact on that one not selling out. I know that I had ordered the set from SST myself; however, it was mostly due to already having purchased all of Tremblay's other books through SST and wanting to keep the "matching" set. Personally, I really like what Thunderstorm's doing with their pre-order windows and using those windows to set the print-run. Also makes it nice for the publisher so that they don't have to store a bunch of books that don't sell-out, such as the Tremblay set you mention. The only drawback that I can foresee is that there won't be any books on the secondary market for those who miss-out on the pre-order window; however, I personally don't mind that as I'm of the "snooze, you lose" school of thinking.

Comment

Yeah, the Tremblay set's lack of sell out has surprised me. I don't know if it's due to Thunderstorm's lack of reach in the market, if the book's are just a little too outside what their customer base looks for, or if it's just a lack of interest in the titles. SST's versions are at a lower price point, but they are also being released after doing four other Tremblay titles, and like sholloman81 said, wanting to keep a "matching set".

The heat on Fracassi is red hot at the moment, I think evidenced by the 52 copy sellout of the lettered edition. The limited edition is almost double the price point of the last Fracassi limited from Earthling, so that might be something to give potential buyers pause. I'd love to see the print run for both this and Lucia's book to break that 200-copy mark.

Comment

Just received my copies of Kristopher Trianna's "Slasher vs. The Remake" as well as Bryan Smith's "Three Dark Windows". Another top-notch production by Thunderstorm! Really love what they have been doing lately and cannot wait to see their future announcements!!!

-On a side note, these were actually my first direct purchases from Thunderstorm. In the past, I have obtained their books via secondary sellers like Camelot or Abe/Ebay. I do have a question. When I opened the Triana book, it had a mylar cover on it; however, when I opened the Smith book, it did not have a mylar cover. Does Thunderstorm usually wrap their direct orders or certain series of their books in mylar covers? I honestly don't mind either way; however, I was surprised to see one book had one and one did not. Just wondering what to expect from future orders. Hopefully, someone here can clarify that for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                      Just received my copies of Kristopher Trianna's "Slasher vs. The Remake" as well as Bryan Smith's "Three Dark Windows". Another top-notch production by Thunderstorm! Really love what they have been doing lately and cannot wait to see their future announcements!!!

-On a side note, these were actually my first direct purchases from Thunderstorm. In the past, I have obtained their books via secondary sellers like Camelot or Abe/Ebay. I do have a question. When I opened the Triana book, it had a mylar cover on it; however, when I opened the Smith book, it did not have a mylar cover. Does Thunderstorm usually wrap their direct orders or certain series of their books in mylar covers? I honestly don't mind either way; however, I was surprised to see one book had one and one did not. Just wondering what to expect from future orders. Hopefully, someone here can clarify that for me.
                      I'm with you on Thunderstorm. I've been buying from them for years, but lately they have been on fire with the books they've put out. As for the mylar covers, I've never had a book purchased directly from Thunderstorm come with a mylar cover. When I get them from Camelot, they do as is their standard practice. I'm not sure if that's a new practice moving forward or not.

I'm also jealous of the Triana book. I'm already kinda regretting not picking it up. I passed on both of the new offerings. Bryan Smith runs very hot-and-cold for me. I'm not also not a big slasher fan so Triana's book had an uphill battle with me, but I was so close to pulling the trigger due to the synopsis. I wish I could have found reviews beforehand to see if it would be something I was willing to drop $110 on. Let me know that you think when you do read it. If I get a couple of good recommendations it might force me to track one down in the aftermarket.

Comment

I'm with you on Thunderstorm. I've been buying from them for years, but lately they have been on fire with the books they've put out. As for the mylar covers, I've never had a book purchased directly from Thunderstorm come with a mylar cover. When I get them from Camelot, they do as is their standard practice. I'm not sure if that's a new practice moving forward or not.

I'm also jealous of the Triana book. I'm already kinda regretting not picking it up. I passed on both of the new offerings. Bryan Smith runs very hot-and-cold for me. I'm not also not a big slasher fan so Triana's book had an uphill battle with me, but I was so close to pulling the trigger due to the synopsis. I wish I could have found reviews beforehand to see if it would be something I was willing to drop $110 on. Let me know that you think when you do read it. If I get a couple of good recommendations it might force me to track one down in the aftermarket.
                        Thanks for that info! It is truly appreciated! I've never read any of the Thunderstorm versus series; however, there was no way that I could pass up on a new Triana book. He has fast become one of my favorite authors. I will definitely post a review as soon as I read it. Oddly enough, I'm currently in the middle of his latest release, A Fine Evening in Hell, which has been fantastic, so far.

Comment

Yeah, the Tremblay set's lack of sell out has surprised me. I don't know if it's due to Thunderstorm's lack of reach in the market, if the book's are just a little too outside what their customer base looks for, or if it's just a lack of interest in the titles. SST's versions are at a lower price point, but they are also being released after doing four other Tremblay titles, and like sholloman81 said, wanting to keep a "matching set".
                          Probably a lack of interest in the titles. The two books are early crime/noir titles from Tremblay before he became big with horror fans with ‘A Head Full of Ghosts’ and they’re probably his least popular books. Even when they were recently rereleased I don’t think anyone really bothered to check them out.

I probably would have skipped the SST books myself but I wanted to, as you said, keep a marching set.
                          Last edited by CyberGhostface; 08-19-2022, 11:52 PM.

Comment

All of the 'Vs' series of books come with mylar already on the dust jacket. I can't remember exactly why, but it had something to do with the printing for the dust jackets - either paper or color or something.

Comment

All of the 'Vs' series of books come with mylar already on the dust jacket. I can't remember exactly why, but it had something to do with the printing for the dust jackets - either paper or color or something.
                              Thanks, Slayn. That makes sense. I’ve never purchased any of the VS titles so that would explain why I’ve never seen it before.

Comment

I was going to assume and state that there was likely a situation with the DJs. Chipping or peeling or something.

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X