No announcement yet.

Stephen King the Doubleday Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a lot of purple are holding out hope that one of these will be signed. On The Dark Tower forum, someone came up with the idea of a book collecting all the art from the series and having it signed by all the artists and King. I thought that was a pretty cool idea. Not as cool as a signed Pet Sematary or The Stand though...

Even without the King signatures, it seems like CD is pulling out all the stops on these books. I know a lot of purple were disappointed that the announcement wasn't for King signed books, but it looks like the excitement for this series had gained momentum since the announcement instead of the usual decline. Or maybe that's just me getting more and more excited... :-)

Comment

I will go with both of those.

Comment

I still like having the Stephen King signed books that I have, but after a while, I am just as happy with a high quality edition of a classic King title as if he had signed it.

Comment

Not to sound morbid but the future will soon have to rely on artistic impressions, the boots will be hung up at some point soon and there will be no S/Ls. CD got a great jump start and a chance to set the bar high early. I only hope they can continue with more series.

Comment

Originally posted by Highbury View Post
            Not to sound morbid but the future will soon have to rely on artistic impressions, the boots will be hung up at some point soon and there will be no S/Ls. CD got a great jump start and a chance to set the bar high early. I only hope they can continue with more series.
            I really hope that CD continue the series with the Viking Press years. Just imagine, oversized super deluxe versions of classics like The Dead Zone, Firetstarter, Different Seasons, Misery and Needful Things. All of my favourite Stephen King books come from the Viking Press era, so for me, this would be absolutely AWESOME!!!!

Especially if CD allowed matching numbers from the Doubleday Years!!
            "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
            - Stephen King

Comment

I would gladly do without another signed King in exchange for the CD gift editions proceeding past the DoubleDay Years.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                I still like having the Stephen King signed books that I have, but after a while, I am just as happy with a high quality edition of a classic King title as if he had signed it.
                I had the same line of thinking when I was debating about getting the AE of Carrie. I came to the conclusion that while I love author signatures, that's only a small part of why I collect S/L editions. I really started collecting for the amount of fiction being put out in the small press that never sees the light of day from mass market publishers and I didn't want to miss out on it, and I wanted high quality versions of books for my personal library. So for me, high quality versions of these classics fit in with my collecting preferences and goals. Though I can see why it wouldn't fit in other people's.

As far as continuing this line into the Viking books as T-Dogz suggests, I think that would be awesome...and very expensive! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                  I had the same line of thinking when I was debating about getting the AE of Carrie. I came to the conclusion that while I love author signatures, that's only a small part of why I collect S/L editions. I really started collecting for the amount of fiction being put out in the small press that never sees the light of day from mass market publishers and I didn't want to miss out on it, and I wanted high quality versions of books for my personal library. So for me, high quality versions of these classics fit in with my collecting preferences and goals. Though I can see why it wouldn't fit in other people's.

As far as continuing this line into the Viking books as T-Dogz suggests, I think that would be awesome...and very expensive! :-)
                  On a pragmatic note, it would be better to have the super deluxe treatment on the books WITHOUT a Stephen King signature, as the signature alone effectively doubles the cost of each book ($450 for a S/L vs $225 for an AE) and you can always ask Stephen King to sign an AE next time he does a book signing event...
                  "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
                  - Stephen King

Comment

So far I don't own any King Signatures, I'd love to get at least 1 signed work of his at some point, but I just like having the high end bindings and art in some of my favourite novels. I hardly care whether these were printed with or without sig. because the signed editions are always out of my range. Someday I'll track down a signed work of his, specifically a Wrightson/King collaboration, Frankenstein, Cycle of the Werewolf, or Creepshow, but we shall see.

Comment

I've got 3 signed King works: It: The 25th Ann. Special Edition, A flat-signed 1st trade Danse Macabre from Betts, and a flat signed 1st trade 11/22/63 that I got from a King event in Dallas. I don't fret about getting any more at this time. It's beyond my means. There are many other books to collect and King is NOT the only author worth collecting.

But he is one of the best.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Squire, didn't you get the signed edition of Joy Land? I also have 3 books signed by King. Doctor Sleep,Joy Land and He is Legend. If I never get another signed book by King I am fine with that. I just really love the high production values of the Gift editions to be super satisfied with them. For this series it is going to be all gift editions for me. That is more then enough. Space is limited and I have started selling books that I am not 100% behind to make room for the books that I am.

Comment

Oops! You're right, Tom. Two copies of the S/L (though I ordered a S/L and and L/E--still waiting for Karma to hit me for that one). So that's five. But four different books.

"I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Haven't bothered posting in the market but if anyone is actually wanting a signed 1st of Doctor Sleep let me know, I have a spare copy on my shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                              Still hoping one of these editions will be signed by King!

sk
                              That would be great, and would love to see it done...but I simply can't afford one

Comment

I know CD will do these books justice and they will be worth owning even without the sig; but, if the original version of The Stand is not included in this set, I'll probably wonder to myself "Why bother?" I'll probably feel differently in 2016 when it is finally announced (and I have one or two of the them on my shelf), but right now, it's just depressing to think about.

I think too much....
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X