No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I've read any Marvel comics other than "Demon in a Bottle", but I do know that Thanos is the big-bad in the Infinity Gauntlet storyline. We have seen 3 of the Infinity Stones so far in the Marvel movies (The Tesseract, the Aether [from Thor 2], and the Purple One [from Guardians]), and we saw Thanos at the end of the Avengers. Presumably, they are setting up the Infinity Gauntlet as a future story-line, which explains why they have a major actor in the role:

Comment

Yep, from what I understand they are planning for Thanos as the big bad guy in Avengers 3, which will probably have a Guardians of the Galaxy cross over. Although I'm not sure the Tesseract is a infinity gem as it wasn't in the comics, but for movie purposes they may be making it one.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

By the way, I would give Guardians of the Galaxy my highest rating: "I would pay to see it again in theaters right now, and I would even pay for your ticket if you balked at going with me."

(Keep in mind that others may not agree with my scale. I saw Jurassic Park on the day it came out, and then again the next day. I saw The Phantom Menace four times in theaters. So, GotG is somewhere between Jurassic Park and Phantom Menace in terms of awesomeness.)

Comment

I agree that Guardians of the Galaxy was awesome. Some of the most fun I've had at a theater in a while. I've been backing this movie for a while when all my movie going pals had their doubts. Nice to pick the right horse for a change. (My wife still won't let me forget that I took her to see the Black Dahlia. She hated that movie}.

Both Drax and Gamora had ties to The Infinity Gauntlet series mentioned above, though if I remember correctly neither have been major players in the comics.

Comment

Guardians is the Star Wars movie I was hoping The Phantom Menace would be. I even saw a little of Han's and Chewie's relationship in Rocket and Groot. And giving Vin Diesel only 5 words to say reminded me of the 7 seven words given the vocally-challenged Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Terminator. Only here, Diesel shows his dramatic acting roots by using inflection of those words to express meaning (a very impressive job by the big man). Check out the movie Boiler Room to see Deisel as a dramtic actor--and with hair!

The special effects sometimes got to be too much, but they were sure pretty to look at.

And I've already paid to see it twice, too.
            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Eh, look, nobody goes into a movie like this expecting any kind of realism, and there's none present. Not in the physics, not in the plot, not in the fighting, and certainly not in the turtles. I don't have kids, but went with some friends I've known since grade school for nostalgia. And for that purpose the movie achieves a certain, limited success.

No need to even reiterate the origin story, or any of the story for that matter. Ninja Turtles vs Shredder and The Foot, as always. Action is fairly bombastic, which Michael Bay has perfected, and this movie looks and sounds like Transformers. Anyone who sees it will recognize many of the sound effects from that movie, along with Shredder's armor. And Mr. Bay certainly knows how to keep the camera rocking and rolling during heavy CGI action scenes.

I didn't care for it a whole lot, but to help salvage there is a 30 second elevator scene that captures the turtles, captures teenagers, and brings back the youth of those of us who loved them as kids.

2 stars
              “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
              -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I liked TMNT. My rating stands as follows: With Megan Fox on screen - 1/5; with Megan Fox off screen - 4/5. She is just a horrible actress.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
                  I liked TMNT. My rating stands as follows: With Megan Fox on screen - 1/5; with Megan Fox off screen - 4/5. She is just a horrible actress.
                  I couldn't figure out why they would cast Fox in that role, did Bay owe her something from a past drunk bet or something? She's the main reason I don't want to see it.

Comment

I have no idea, considering Jessica Biel expressed interest in the role. Fox should have been the last person who had a chance at the role. If you zone out while she is talking you should enjoy the movie some what.

Comment

I think Fox being cast surprised everyone, especially since after Transformers 2 I remember Michael Bay saying specifically that she would never work on another film of his, which is one of the reasons she was dropped from Transformers 3.
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

The Guardians of the Galaxy, I would like to rate it an eight out of ten as I loved it simply.
                        Mobile App Development services in Bedfordshire

Comment

RiffTrax Live: Godzilla (1998): The Matthew Broderick version of the film, which really isn't that bad (tho not particularly good), gets the RT treatment. The jokes were pretty good, though I think a full 2 hr film is a little much for this kind of thing. I missed having the customary short films preceding the main event. Still, it was an evening of good-natured fun and more entertaining that most of the new movies out today.

4/5
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Duel (Blu-ray)

Fans of this movie are in for a treat. Duel has been remastered in a new back-to-film transfer, much of the grain removed, a 5.1 DTS Master Audio track accompanies the original 2.0 mono (also Master Audio), and most importantly, for the first time outside of a few select theaters in Europe decades ago, the film will be presented in 16x9 Widescreen format with a 1.85 aspect ratio. This is not cropped for aspect ratio, but is expanded to include footage the camera saw when filming. The 4x3 version was cropped for TV and has remained so over the years.

David Mann, a traveling salesman, finds himself on the receiving end of abuse from a truck driver who wants nothing more than to than to take his tanker and ram it down the throat of Mann's 1971 Valiant. A cat and mouse game occurs over the highways and tension runs high as David tries to keep driving and stay alive against the trucker, who we never actually see. David eventually has his fill and confronts the massive tanker, machine vs machine.

A fantastic made-for-TV movie based on a short story by and adapted for the screen by Richard Matheson and acted in an every-man way by Dennis Weaver, this is one of Spielberg's earliest films, and will be triumphantly presented on Blu-ray.

4 stars
                            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

The Expendables 3: A Chinese puzzle box of 80s movie nostalgia. Every scene, every bit of dialog is lifted from a movie that made one of these guys famous. One reference leads to another and that leads to another and it goes on for 2+hrs. These guys cut their teeth on hard-core R-rated brutality and to see them in an almost bloodless PG-13 movie seems ludicrous and almost insulting. But it's a different world today and PG-13 is the new action norm. So as a way of passing the torch to a new generation, this movie seems fitting. (The addition of Harrison Ford, someone who made his name as an 80s action star in PG movies helps with this transition.) But then, the kiddies Stallone hires to replace the men he retired go and get themselves captured and the old guys have to reunite to save their butts, proving the old ways really were best--even they must now be bloodless. So you can check your brain at the door and enjoy this as a so-so actioner; or you can let your brain try to unravel all the references to be found in the rich detail that fills the screen. Either way, you'll get to enjoy a terrific turn by Mel Gibson as Stonebanks (no matter what you think of the guy, he's one helluva an actor); one of Stallone's best last-second escapes from certain death (if he never makes an another action flick, he exits on a high note); a title bout of the 80s action heros finale (Stallone vs Gibson); and what is hopefully a star-making turn by UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey (the only one of the newcomers that makes any kind of impact).

I let my brain fire on all cylinders and had a blast at the movie.

3.5/5
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The last movie I saw in the theatre was Captain America: The Winter Soldier which my son Daniel and went to over his Easter break last school year. It was excellent. On the Netflix site -- I reviewed it and gave 5 out of 5 stars.

Comment

Working...
                                X