No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished up A Good Marriage (one of the short stories from Full Dark, No Stars). Watched it on the Apple TV rather than heading to the theater.

It was a great adaptation. If it weren't for the horrible acting by the actress playing Darcie, I'd dare say the movie is better than the story. It felt like a Lifetime movie, leaving me to wonder how Big Driver (which is actually going to be a Lifetime movie) is going to feel.

Overall, I'd give it a solid 4/5.

Comment

Gone Girl: A riveting, over-directed, soulless account of marital dysfunction that is uplifted by world-class direction and some outstanding performances. I've not read the book, but it has to be better than this mess. As a filmmaker David Fincher is at his best when dealing with the many masks that people wear and, here, his work is nearly flawless. I liked the claustrophobic way the film was shot to show the ceilings of every interior scene, making the viewer feel the walls enclosing each of the characters--particularly how those "walls" became larger as Nick fell further into public infamy and then decreased as public opinion changed. And Ben Affleck has finally gotten a role that turns his greatest weakness into a strength. (His detached loveable lug persona, while distracting in most of his films, is perfect for this role); and Rosmund Pike's performance is a master's thesis in acting. But Kim Dickens as Detective Rhonda Boney stands out from the cast with her pitch-perfect world weariness and acidity.

Still, there's not much underneath this slick veneer. There seems to be something missing that probably tied all this together as a novel. The romance between Affleck and Pike is unbelievable; the twists feel like simple whodunnit red herrings with no real meaning; subsequent actions are illogical; and the viewer is left with no tangible sense of what this movie is even about. So in the end, much like his previous Oscar-bait endeavorThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, this film is style over substance.

2.5/5
      Last edited by srboone; 10-06-2014, 11:56 AM.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Gone Girl: I agree completely on the outstanding performances; this might be Ben Afleck's best performance. I also think David Fincher did a fantastic job directing.

Regarding what was missing that tied it all together: the movie felt a bit rushed to me, especially the ending. It was a long movie, but like many book-to-movie adaptations, there was too much to fit in to emphasize the high points of the book.

I think it was one of the best movies of this year (although this has been a poor year for cinema), and I'll certainly pick it up on Blu-Ray. But you're right: it deed feel a bit flat.

4.5/5.0 (And yes, I'm prone to grade inflation!)

PS: Since you also watched it in Kansas City (I assume), did you get the nice introduction by Gillian Flynn thanking you for coming out in her hometown? I watched it at the Alamo Draft House downtown, and I thought the intro was a nice touch.

Comment

No, I was in an AMC theatre and had no such introduction. But It WAS nice to see Affleck carry a movie and those moments when Amy (Pike) let her mask slip away and you got a glimpse of the scared and vulnerable person beneath were priceless. Plus, Fincher is a meticulous craftsman; but when he puts his touch on a movie, he makes it's flaws standout even more in comparison. So give him a directing nod and acting ones for Dickey and Pike and call it a day.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I saw The Boxtrolls on Thursday evening. It's been a long time since I've seen an animated movie I disliked. I really did dislike The Boxtrolls. When the movie began I couldn't understand the opening dialogue. The voice over actor was using an accent and seemed to talk quickly. At least twice I was very tempted to get up and walk out. I made myself watch the entire movie. There were some parts of the movie I found amusing. As soon as the ending credits started rolling I left not waiting to see if there was an extra scene after all of the credits.

Cap
            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Annabelle: Not much to say about this sorry prequel except that it is boring. Not nearly accomplished as The Conjuring (it's never a good sign when the director of the first film is a producer on the second one), it's nothing but a bunch of gotcha shocks that don't really "getcha." The first gotcha moment is actually pretty good, but it sets a tone that is more in tune with a slasher flick than a creepy suspense film. But that and some good 70s period flavor can't make up for this misfire. Best rearrange that sock drawer that's been on your to do list forever than watch this one.

2/5
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

That is unfortunate but not entirely unexpected. Thanks for the review.
                Originally posted by srboone View Post
                Annabelle: Not much to say about this sorry prequel except that it is boring. Not nearly accomplished as The Conjuring (it's never a good sign when the director of the first film is a producer on the second one), it's nothing but a bunch of gotcha shocks that don't really "getcha." The first gotcha moment is actually pretty good, but it sets a tone that is more in tune with a slasher flick than a creepy suspense film. But that and some good 70s period flavor can't make up for this misfire. Best rearrange that sock drawer that's been on your to do list forever than watch this one.

2/5

Comment

On "Ghostbusters": my favorite line was from Dan Aykroyd when he said he's worked in the private sector, they expect results.

Glad to hear the good review on "A Good Marriage." And interesting that you took advantage of this particular model of release. Does anyone know any box-office stats for the project?

Back to "Ghostbusters": If I understood the post, old 80s films were playing at this theater? You mentioned "Gremlins," "Temple of Doom." Was this a unique thing, or does this theater always show old films? Awesome lineup.

On "Godzilla" 1998: For some reason, I can watch this film, although it is not great. I did not like how the egg scenes weren't put at the front of the movie, that would have made more sense. I did, however, absolutely hate "Independence Day." It was a huge success at the time, I read the novelization before going to see it (which indicates how excited I was for the film), I had high hopes -- and it was all for nothing. Terrible film, terrible ideas in it, terrible acting. As someone joked, how could the alien ship's systems not have something in place to stop that virus? And that Randy Quaid scene where he sacrificed himself -- was supposed to be powerful and poignant, but I did not agree. No matter, the people behind it made their money.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
                    Back to "Ghostbusters": If I understood the post, old 80s films were playing at this theater? You mentioned "Gremlins," "Temple of Doom." Was this a unique thing, or does this theater always show old films? Awesome lineup.
                    No. It was in 1984 that I movie-hopped those three movies--which were all in their first run. It was at the Fox Dickinson Movie Theater in Hays KS--which is now the Fox Pavillion (a rental hall for events).
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      That is unfortunate but not entirely unexpected. Thanks for the review.
                      I had very low expectations for this movie before I went to see it - I mean, the previews didn't look scary and it was about a doll. Overall, I was a bit pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. It was dry and not something I would recommend to anyone I know but I didn't think it was that bad (but there are much betters things to watch). Just don't expect too much from it.

Comment

I was hoping for more due to its connection to The Conjuring which is a pretty good movie.
                        Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
                        I had very low expectations for this movie before I went to see it - I mean, the previews didn't look scary and it was about a doll. Overall, I was a bit pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. It was dry and not something I would recommend to anyone I know but I didn't think it was that bad (but there are much betters things to watch). Just don't expect too much from it.

Comment

Get On Up: This film has a campaign moving forward for this year's Academy Awards, and for good reason.

A biography of the life of James Brown, Get On Up moves throughout the entertainer's life in non-linear fashion, beginning with a dramatic scene involving an older James Brown discharging a shotgun into the ceiling of one of his buildings where a meeting was taking place. We then move through his childhood as the filmmakers try and give us an idea of Mr. Brown's origins, and a huge portion of the movie takes place during and surrounding musical numbers.

The lead actor, Chadwick Boseman, smashes it out of the park. Breaking the fourth wall more than any movie I've seen in recent years, he is compelling, expressive and bold. Especially toward the end of the film, his eyes are roadmaps of tragedy and heartache, power and wisdom at once. The guy can move, too. SUPER-funky. I've read his vocals were replaced by Mr. Brown's actual recordings but don't know the extent.

I also cannot speak to the accuracy of the film. It's based on the life of Mr. Brown, but liberties are always taken here by Hollywood.

As far as entertainment value, as far as the quality of acting and of the film itself, and as far as the funk:

5 stars
                          “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                          -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
                            Get On Up: This film has a campaign moving forward for this year's Academy Awards, and for good reason.

A biography of the life of James Brown, Get On Up moves throughout the entertainer's life in non-linear fashion, beginning with a dramatic scene involving an older James Brown discharging a shotgun into the ceiling of one of his buildings where a meeting was taking place. We then move through his childhood as the filmmakers try and give us an idea of Mr. Brown's origins, and a huge portion of the movie takes place during and surrounding musical numbers.

The lead actor, Chadwick Boseman, smashes it out of the park. Breaking the fourth wall more than any movie I've seen in recent years, he is compelling, expressive and bold. Especially toward the end of the film, his eyes are roadmaps of tragedy and heartache, power and wisdom at once. The guy can move, too. SUPER-funky. I've read his vocals were replaced by Mr. Brown's actual recordings but don't know the extent.

I also cannot speak to the accuracy of the film. It's based on the life of Mr. Brown, but liberties are always taken here by Hollywood.

As far as entertainment value, as far as the quality of acting and of the film itself, and as far as the funk:

5 stars
                            He is, from what I've seen at least, a very good actor. Played a great Jackie Robinson in 42. Also enjoyed his character in Draft Day (which was a surprisingly good movie.

Comment

The Theory of Everything

This biography takes us through Mr. Hawking's personal life, his science and his battle with Lou Gehrig's disease. We see a great deal of adversity while Mr. and Mrs. Hawking struggle through many of the physical obstacles confronting Stephen, serving to highlight the accomplishments of this brilliant man while not shying away from the hardships imposed.

Humanity reigns supreme in the film with bravado left far behind. We get proof the big machine in Hollywood isn't just a money-making ploy these days... sometimes people still make films that matter.

An agonizingly beautiful story, and a certain contender for Best Picture.

5 stars
                              “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                              -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I need to see that one. Thanks for the review.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X