Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    ...if you like the Underworld movies, as it has a similar tone.
    Hmmm. So I should pass on this one...
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
      Hmmm. So I should pass on this one...
      Maybe. I'd say if you didn't like Underworld, to watch the trailer and if you're still skeptical wait for dvd rentals. It is definitely not something that has to be seen on the big screen.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Ender's Game: I finally got to watch this.. Now if you didn't read the book you might like this movie. I've read Ender's game six times, It is one of my favorite Books it is also one of the first sci-fi books I read. When I heard they were making this into a Movie I couldn't wait to see it. I don't think I ever wanted to see a Movie as much as I wanted to see this and I didn't get a chance to see at the Theatre. So I had to wait even Longer. Finally I got to see it. I watched 10 or 15 minutes of this and shut it off. I was never so disappointed in a movie as I was for this one. I even decided to give it a second shot a week later and could only skim through it. From what I seen and skimmed through the acting was terrible and unbelievable. Harrison Ford seemed bored and out of place on this. the FX was good but that's all this movie had. It would have been better as a trilogy or even an HBO series where Ender could have started out as a six year old going to battle school like it was in the book and not twice that age as in the movie. then you could have gotten better acquainted with all the characters and felt something for them..Andrew(Ender) Peter and Valentine, Bean, Petra, Alai, Dink, Even Rose the Nose and Bonzo you don't care about them and if a movie can't make you care .. even a little for the characters and what might happen or happens to them. Its not worth seeing. So a big Thumbs down for me.

I'd give this a 1/2 star out of five for the Fx

Comment

My Five worse or disappointing movies this year

1- Ender's Game
          2 - Carrie
          3 - Superman Man of Steel
          4- After Earth
          5- The Lords of Salem

Comment

Originally posted by Menace View Post
            My Five worse or disappointing movies this year

1- Ender's Game
            2 - Carrie
            3 - Superman Man of Steel
            4- After Earth
            5- The Lords of Salem
            Interesting. Of the ones that I saw on that list, I think they turned out pretty much how I expected. That said I expected After Earth to be bad, though not as bad as it turned out to be.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              Interesting. Of the ones that I saw on that list, I think they turned out pretty much how I expected. That said I expected After Earth to be bad, though not as bad as it turned out to be.
              The only one I expected to be really bad was Carrie... Superman , after earth and Lords of Salem I thought might not be bad but was wrong.. Enders game I was hoping for it to be good..

Comment

The only one I expected to be really bad was Carrie... Superman , after earth and Lords of Salem I thought might not be bad but was wrong.. Enders game I was hoping for it to be good..
                I only saw Superman, After Earth and Ender's Game. I didn't really think Superman was a bad movie, it was just pretty much everything I expected it to be based of the trailers and who was involved in the project. Ender's game on the other hand, I wouldn't call bad either, it just wasn't very memorable. After Earth, was just bad, really bad, though I never thought it was going to be good. This video pretty much sums it up better than anything I can think of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x4qNdSM4dA

Instagram

Comment

I totally agree with you about Carrie! I thought elements of the new version were so bad, I completely re-watched the original straightaway to purge myself of the experience.
                  "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
                  - Stephen King

Comment

You know, it's really the prom scene that ruins it. I thought Chloe Grace Moretz did a good job as Carrie until that point, and I thought Moore did a good job as the mom. But what was originally one of the most tense and chaotic scenes in cinema was rendered a joke. Too bad, other than that I didn't have a huge problem with it. I still think that since they decided to modernize it they should have focus a bit more on the internet bullying aspect instead of making her technologically retarded.

And I liked Lords of Salem, different for a Zombie flick, but very reminiscent of occult flicks (especially European) from the 60's/70's.

Comment

The LEGO Movie: Who would've thunk that the first must-see movie of 2014 would be an animated movie based on a toy? Certainly not me. But there it is. I said it. There is a prophecy throughout all the Legoland universe that says the "Piece of Resistance" will be found by the most interesting, most useful, most important master bulider of all time and that person will use it to save the world. Or something like that. That's a gross prarphrasing. Anyway, Lord Business has descended from above to make all the lego builders stop "messing up his stuff." He plans on using his ultimate weapon, "The Kragle", to make the Legoland universe as he wants it to be. And it just gets sillier from there. But it's clever, smart, witty and full of heart; with some CGI animation that is simply amazing to watch. The laughs come fast and furious and so many of them hit the bulls-eye, you won't remember the ones that miss (and I'm sure there are some). An annoyingly catchy song just adds to the fun. Fun for the adults as well as the kiddies, The Lego Movie puts all other "toy-based" movie franchises to shame. This homerun touches all the bases in the Legoland universe and creates a few more (after all, it is just a long commericial for LEGO brand toys).

Be sure to stay through the credits to hear Batman's "Darkness" song. It's a laugh riot. Or, I guess you can find it online. Anyway, just remember:

Everything is awesome!
                      Everything is cool when your part of a team.
                      Everything is awesome!
                      When you’re living out a dream.

I'm going to see it again at some point.

4.5/5
                      Last edited by srboone; 02-10-2014, 06:31 AM.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

"The Lords of Salem" - oh, I guess 1 out of 5. The script was so bad, and many of the effects were downright laughable. Just not interesting at all. I usually enjoy Zombie's aesthetic, but someone forgot to tell him that a decent script is usually a good idea.

Comment

Thanks For Sharing: Mark Ruffalo and Tim Robbins play sex addicts in this movie that tries to walk the line between comedy and drama. The previews play as if this will be a more drama-tinged, but I felt that it was more the opposite. Though it doesn't break new ground and most of the storylines go where you can expect they will, I still enjoyed this quite a bit. Grade: B

I also finished watching the complete series of Firefly and the follow-up movie Serenity. I had only caught the last episode of the TV series when it originally aired and then watched the movie when it came out and liked it quite a bit. My opinion remains the same if not more so. I thought the show was one of Whedon's strongest especially as a first season (I recently rewatched Buffy Season One and while I still liked it, it wasn't until I got into Season Two that it picked up for me). I won't belabor the point that has been made by many others before me, but this series should have been huge. If it had been picked up by a cable network I think it would have grown to be huge. Grade: A

On a side note, though it is not a movie but rather a TV show, I just finished Hannibal Season One and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not a Harris-purist (have three of his books, haven't read one yet), but I thought the show is very interesting; definitely more character-driven than say The Following and it is incredibly gory! I saw this on DVD so I know some episodes were "Producer Cuts" but wow! So I liked it quite a bit and look forward to the second season. On the other hand, my wife was bored by it so your mileage may vary. Grade: B+

Comment

Having not read Ender's Game I did watch the movie last week. I was disappointed. Certainly wasn't what I was expecting, and to me it seems like it was developed for the young adult crowd. Is the book basically a YA sci-fi???? It even soured my want to read Ender's Game, and I enjoy sci-fi.

Comment

I know people who think that Ender's Game is one of the best books they've ever read. I read it last summer and thought it was okay but I didn't feel the need to read it again nor read any of the other Ender books Card wrote. I didn't think the movie was any worse or better than the book but I'm probably in the minority there, maybe I missed some life-altering message in the book. I think that there were some miscast roles (as I believe someone else already mentioned). It's not a complex premise and I feel it is geared toward the YA group. Maybe you'll be eternally moved by the book as some people are but I wasn't. I heard Ender's Shadow was "as good or better" than Ender's Game.

Comment

Lots of movies to get ready for the Oscars on Sunday:

American Hustle: Not really taken with this film. Great, juicy parts for some good actors, but I didn't care anything about any of the characters in the movie. Great performances, but that's about it. Definitely a film where the parts are greater than the whole. 3/5

Dallas Buyer's Club: A good movie that ends too abuptly. Great performances by McConaughey and Leto the real draw here. 4/5

Captain Phillips: A workman-like movie that left me cold in the end. Hanks gives a typically fine perfomance, but I wasn't put-out by him not getting an Oscar nom. Barkhad Abdirahman is good, but his nom is something of a mystery to me. 4/5

Her: Spike Jones' screenplay is ingenious, but it runs out of ideas about halfway through and repeats itself as well as dwells on plot points too long. Too bad. 3/5

Blue Jasmine: Uneven tone and a tendency to meander bolstered by a terrific performance by Cate Blanchett. 4/5

And I took my nephew to see The LEGO Movie in 3D. Watching him flinch as things shot out at hime was priceless.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X