Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

Your mileage may vary.

Most of the reviews have been positive, hence my high expectations going into the movie.

B
    I have only seen a few reviews but they all have been absolutely brutal.

Comment

Top Gun:Maverick. 4.5 out of 5. Nostalgia certainly plays into the high score. It was pretty much everything I could have wanted. Nothing weird and nothing awkward. Just a great follow-up 30+years later to Top Gun. Made a rough weekend a lot more enjoyable.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
        Top Gun:Maverick. 4.5 out of 5. Nostalgia certainly plays into the high score. It was pretty much everything I could have wanted. Nothing weird and nothing awkward. Just a great follow-up 30+years later to Top Gun. Made a rough weekend a lot more enjoyable.
        Glad you enjoyed it! Seems too be a smash hit. Wish I could get into it; however, "modern" Tom Cruise movies just aren't my cup of tea. Enjoyed his stuff from the 80's and early 90's; however, I just cannot get into the recent shoot em' up franchises such as the Mission Impossible, Jack Reacher, etc. I have seen a few of his newer movies that were ok; however, they seem to be more one-off type projects where he can take some risks rather than a series of films for a franchise. I'm thinking of things like Collateral or Edge of Tomorrow, which I truly enjoyed.

Comment

I hadn't watched any of the MI or Jack Reacher movies either. Not really my thing.

The action in this one was well done, not over extended, and did not have the mega CGI moments which typically leave me bored and uninterested.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Glad you enjoyed it! Seems too be a smash hit. Wish I could get into it; however, "modern" Tom Cruise movies just aren't my cup of tea. Enjoyed his stuff from the 80's and early 90's; however, I just cannot get into the recent shoot em' up franchises such as the Mission Impossible, Jack Reacher, etc. I have seen a few of his newer movies that were ok; however, they seem to be more one-off type projects where he can take some risks rather than a series of films for a franchise. I'm thinking of things like Collateral or Edge of Tomorrow, which I truly enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

Your mileage may vary.

Most of the reviews have been positive, hence my high expectations going into the movie.

B
            It wasn't bad. I enjoyed myself and that's what matters the most, right?

Comment

A Quiet Place 2. This was a sequel that lacked depth, connections, and emotion. They played some loud and tense music but it didn't make up for the many things lacking.

I watched it and didn't turn it off but it just missed the mark in a big way. 2.5 out of 5.

Comment

A Quiet Place 2. This was a sequel that lacked depth, connections, and emotion. They played some loud and tense music but it didn't make up for the many things lacking.

I watched it and didn't turn it off but it just missed the mark in a big way. 2.5 out of 5.
                You pretty much summed up my exact feelings on this one. I enjoyed the first one quite a bit; however, this was a sequel that nobody asked for or needed.

Comment

I Think We're Alone Now starring Peter Dinklage and Elle Fanning. The world has ended and one lonely man curates his small hometown and it's library until his solitary life is interrupted by a stranger.

Not sure what to think about this one. I had some weird vibes between the two leads, felt the movie lacked something essential, and was possibly trying to portray view point(s) from a perspective that just aren't me.

I like to judge a movie such as this by what I might remember from it or maybe what I could learn from it's subtlety. Maybe take in a small thought that I can think on for awhile and kick around in my brain.

However in this moment I don't think there is anything in this movie that reached me in any of those ways. 2 out of 5 stars.

Comment

Stillwater. Garbage from Matt Damon. Do not waste your time.

-2 out of 5.

Edit: Maybe the rating was a little harsh. 1 out of 5.
                    Last edited by Ben Staad; 06-27-2022, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Stillwater. Garbage from Matt Damon. Do not waste your time.

-2 out of 5.

Edit: Maybe the rating was a little harsh. 1 out of 5.
                      Ouch. I typically like Matt Damon's movies, though nothing he's done recently has caught my eye.

Comment

I like Damon as well. That likely had something to do with the rating as well. I expect a bit more from his movies. This one felt like it was mailed in.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Ouch. I typically like Matt Damon's movies, though nothing he's done recently has caught my eye.

Comment

Invasion U.S.A.starring Chuck Norris. Wow. 1980's action movie with all of what you would expect. Great for a rainy Saturday as you idle away your time cleaning the house and occasionally looking at the TV.

Pretty bad movie but stuff is blown up frequently enough for me to stay 50% engaged in the film.

I'm not going to rate this. It is what it is. It's pretty bad...LOL.

Comment

In the Electric Mist starring Tommy Lee Jones. This was an unexpected little gem. Some great dialogue, one liners, atmosphere, and music all very good. Mr. Jones played his standard character but played it very well with a setting that really speaks to me.

There are lines in the movie that make me think and 100% stuck with me. I like things that can bounce around my skull for a bit and give my thoughts a tingle.

4 out of 5.

Comment

In the Electric Mist starring Tommy Lee Jones. This was an unexpected little gem. Some great dialogue, one liners, atmosphere, and music all very good. Mr. Jones played his standard character but played it very well with a setting that really speaks to me.

There are lines in the movie that make me think and 100% stuck with me. I like things that can bounce around my skull for a bit and give my thoughts a tingle.

4 out of 5.
                              Can't go much wrong with a James Lee Burke book!

Comment

The Silencing. This was a decent thriller with a short enough runtime to keep my attention. This was standard fair stuff about a small town sheriff who shares a border with an American Indian Reservation, a down and out drunk with a mission, and a killer who hunts victims in the surrounding woods.

I will say within the first few moments of the movie there was an editing error which almost made me turn the movie off. It wasn't a big deal but made me wonder for a moment if I should continue. However I'm glad I did.

3 out of 5 stars.

Comment

Working...
                                X