Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post

The book is much better than the movie in my opinion. I have not seen A Quiet Place yet, but it sounds a lot like The Silence to me.
    I would agree.

The novel by Tim Lebbon is great.

Have not seen the movie of The Silence.

I am a fan of both of the Quiet Place movies.

Apparently there is a third QP movie set to be released in 2023.

B

Comment

Interesting. I didn't realize there was a book and had no idea Tim Lebbon wrote this story. Probably worth a read.

https://www.amazon.com/Silence-Tim-Lebbon/dp/1781168822

Thanks!

Originally posted by Martin View Post

The book is much better than the movie in my opinion. I have not seen A Quiet Place yet, but it sounds a lot like The Silence to me.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Anyone check out the new Firestarter movie? I was kinda bored with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          Interesting. I didn't realize there was a book and had no idea Tim Lebbon wrote this story. Probably worth a read.

Thanks!

Definitely worth a read.

The novel, IMO, was great.

B

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
            Plan on going to see it sometime this week, though the reviews have been awful.

B

Comment

How far I have fallen as an SK fan. I didn't even know they remade this movie.

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                Went to see The Northman the other night, which was basically Shakespeare’s Hamlet told from a Viking perspective.

What a disappointment. It was awful!

B
                Ugh - I had high hopes for this one. I did pre-order the 4k though - hmmmmmm

Comment

So I've been on a revisit old movies kick recently . . .

While not a revisited movie, it started off with The Gentlemen that's currently on Netflix. A co-worker mentioned it to me and it sound like a good two hours, so we checked it out. Directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Matthew McConaughey, Michelle Dockery, Collen Farrell, Hugh Grant, and others, it's about an American who's trying to get out of the marijuana business.

It was quite a lot of fun and McConaughey pretty much played himself, or at least a caricature of himself, and was really good.

I mentioned to my wife that we really should watch Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, along with Snatch, which we did, and those movies are still a lot of fun, even if a sign of the times.

This led us to watching The Boondock Saints (I wasn't aware of all of the behind the scenes studio issues, but now I want to watch the documentary about it.)

Since we were busy with Guy Ritchie, Prime has his latest movie - The Wrath of Man - available. What a completely different feel than his usual fare. Maybe being set in LA instead of London changes a lot, but it wasn't as witty or smart-funny as the others, but was still VERY good. I am a sucker for Jason Statham.

Not sure what's next, but keeping with the theme, I'm going to suggest El Mariachi and then Desperado next.

Comment

Plan on going to see it sometime this week, though the reviews have been awful.

B
                    I only watched it because it was on Peacock. I wouldn't have gone to the theater to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                      So I've been on a revisit old movies kick recently . . .

While not a revisited movie, it started off with The Gentlemen that's currently on Netflix. A co-worker mentioned it to me and it sound like a good two hours, so we checked it out. Directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Matthew McConaughey, Michelle Dockery, Collen Farrell, Hugh Grant, and others, it's about an American who's trying to get out of the marijuana business.

It was quite a lot of fun and McConaughey pretty much played himself, or at least a caricature of himself, and was really good.

I mentioned to my wife that we really should watch Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, along with Snatch, which we did, and those movies are still a lot of fun, even if a sign of the times.

This led us to watching The Boondock Saints (I wasn't aware of all of the behind the scenes studio issues, but now I want to watch the documentary about it.)

Since we were busy with Guy Ritchie, Prime has his latest movie - The Wrath of Man - available. What a completely different feel than his usual fare. Maybe being set in LA instead of London changes a lot, but it wasn't as witty or smart-funny as the others, but was still VERY good. I am a sucker for Jason Statham.

Not sure what's next, but keeping with the theme, I'm going to suggest El Mariachi and then Desperado next.
                      The documentary about the making of Boondock Saints, OVERNIGHT, is fascinating. Definitely worth a watch.

Comment

I only watched it because it was on Peacock. I wouldn't have gone to the theater to see it.
                        Well I was a glutten for punishment!

Went to see Firestarter in the theater the other night.

It was bad. The acting was mostly wooden ( this was the first thing I’ve seen Zac Ephron in, & I wasn’t impressed).

The actress that played the mother was better, though her character had much less screen time.

The special effects weren’t good.

Several scenes were ( unintentionally) laugh out loud funny.

The most interesting character was the assassin. I wish his character had gotten more development & screen time, though I still don’t know if I completely buy into his character’s evolution at the end of the movie.

Overall assessment: wait to catch this one on the SyFy channel one Saturday night.

B

Comment

It was bad. The acting was mostly wooden ( this was the first thing I’ve seen Zac Ephron in, & I wasn’t impressed).

The actress that played the mother was better, though her character had much less screen time.

The most interesting character was the assassin. I wish his character had gotten more development & screen time, though I still don’t know if I completely buy into his character’s evolution at the end of the movie.

Overall assessment: wait to catch this one on the SyFy channel one Saturday night.

B
                          Peacock comes with my cable subscription but everything I have heard about this has me leery. I may run it in the background when I am doing things around the house at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

Ugh - I had high hopes for this one. I did pre-order the 4k though - hmmmmmm
                            Your mileage may vary.

Most of the reviews have been positive, hence my high expectations going into the movie.

B

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post

Thanks!

I don’t know if it made it into the movie or not, but there’s one scene in the novel I will never forget for the rest of my life.

Similar to the ending of Ketchum’s Girl Next Door, you kind of see what’s coming next, & that only makes it all the worse.

Very impactful!

B

Comment

B
                                You are a braver man than I. The trailer did not do this movie any favors and, to be honest, I think this is the King property that I'm the least interested in. This story may have been cutting edge when it was first written, but I feel that we've seen this similar story told so many times. Granted, I've never read the book so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing out on.

Comment

Working...
                                X