No announcement yet.

General Netflix Discussion-TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished season three of FOR ALL MANKIND. I thought this season was pretty good. Maybe not as good as season two, but that wrapped up some character arcs in a satisfying manner, so it was going to be a tough one to top either way. I still think that the time jumps are used a little too often to hand wave away narrative questions that they don't want to deal with while still getting the results they want. I was a little bummed by the season finale as it saw the death of what I thought was one of the more interesting characters whose arc still had a lot of potential. I also thought that Ellen's reunion with Pam in the finale was just so mishandled. There is this major event that happens and yet Ellen
    Spoiler!
    is shown meeting up with her long-lost flame. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed so out of place where the episode was at.

All that being said, I still enjoyed the season and I'm looking forward to diving into the fourth ASAP.

Comment

Hope it's ok to post this here as I don't believe it's a Netflix show; however, I just started watching the first season of Pokerface (on Blu-ray). Am only on episode three so far, but this show is really working for me. I've seen others describe it as sort of a modern take on The Rockford Files and that feels like a valid description. Hope the remaining episodes are as strong as the first three.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
        Hope it's ok to post this here as I don't believe it's a Netflix show; however, I just started watching the first season of Pokerface (on Blu-ray). Am only on episode three so far, but this show is really working for me. I've seen others describe it as sort of a modern take on The Rockford Files and that feels like a valid description. Hope the remaining episodes are as strong as the first three.
        I think at this point this is just a TV show thread regardless of where and how you watch it. At least that’s how I’m using it.

As far as Poker Face, describing it as a modern Rockford Files piques my interest, but I’m not the biggest Natasha Lyonne fan (nothing against her personally, I’ve just never really connected with her work).

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I think at this point this is just a TV show thread regardless of where and how you watch it. At least that’s how I’m using it.

As far as Poker Face, describing it as a modern Rockford Files piques my interest, but I’m not the biggest Natasha Lyonne fan (nothing against her personally, I;ve just never really connected with her work).
          I'm not a big fan of hers either, but POKER FACE is such a fun show.....Highly recommended. I hope it comes back soon.
          http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

I'm not a big fan of hers either, but POKER FACE is such a fun show.....Highly recommended. I hope it comes back soon.
            I've definitely going to at least check out an episode or two.  Just found it that it is by Rian Johnson and while I am not as enamored with the KNIVES OUT films as critics are, I absolutely love BRICK so I always give his stuff a watch.

Comment

It's a fun show.. There's an overarching theme to the season, but the episodes are basically standalone murder mysteries, with a lot of humor thrown in.

Comment

Oddly enough, I just saw online today that they have started filming season 2 which probably means a late 2025 release...

Comment

Shows have waaaaay too long of a lag time between (SHORT!) seasons these days.....

Comment

I was all set to watch the new Beverly Hills Cop movie on Netflix when I realized...I have never seen BHC II & III. So, off to Paramount+ I went to remedy that!

As I get older, I find that if I try reading/watching something that I passed on when I was younger, I usually end up learning that my initial impulse was right, and I passed on it for a good reason. These films were no exception.

BHC II was decent. Tony Scott makes films that are nice to look at, so there was that. The plot was ridiculously complex (Why stage an elaborate series of alphabet-themed robberies, leaving Riddler-esque clues, if you're planning to commit insurance fraud with the racetrack that you own? Why would someone leave a note to themselves with a code and latitude/longitude coordinates when they could just write "Racetrack on Friday"...?) I think I chuckled once.

BHC III was...bad. Sooo bad. It seemed to go on for hours. Cheap-looking, badly filmed, written, acted....another convoluted mess. If you were running a counterfeiting ring, why would you do it from work? Especially if you worked in an amusement park? Just take the printer home and do it there. There were two good laughs, though, so...there was that. (Oddly enough, of the three laughs that I had over the course of these two films, NONE were generated by Eddie Murphy.)

So then I finally got to watch Axel F last night. My wife just walked out after 30 minutes, lol. As with most Netflix films, it was a film. That's the best that I can say about it. It was just there. It hit the nostalgia buttons (Neutron Dance, Shakedown, The Heat is On, Taggart and Rosewood returning), but brought nothing new or worthwhile to the game. Eddie Murphy....one of the funniest people alive, and the guy hasn't made a good film since The Klumps.

I didn't feel the need to see the original again, and now I'm wondering if it would hold up and be as fun as I remember it being when I was a kid. Regardless, this is a mostly bad franchise, and I hope they let it rest in peace after this latest.....

Comment

I was all set to watch the new Beverly Hills Cop movie on Netflix when I realized...I have never seen BHC II & III. So, off to Paramount+ I went to remedy that!

As I get older, I find that if I try reading/watching something that I passed on when I was younger, I usually end up learning that my initial impulse was right, and I passed on it for a good reason. These films were no exception.

BHC II was decent. Tony Scott makes films that are nice to look at, so there was that. The plot was ridiculously complex (Why stage an elaborate series of alphabet-themed robberies, leaving Riddler-esque clues, if you're planning to commit insurance fraud with the racetrack that you own? Why would someone leave a note to themselves with a code and latitude/longitude coordinates when they could just write "Racetrack on Friday"...?) I think I chuckled once.

BHC III was...bad. Sooo bad. It seemed to go on for hours. Cheap-looking, badly filmed, written, acted....another convoluted mess. If you were running a counterfeiting ring, why would you do it from work? Especially if you worked in an amusement park? Just take the printer home and do it there. There were two good laughs, though, so...there was that. (Oddly enough, of the three laughs that I had over the course of these two films, NONE were generated by Eddie Murphy.)

So then I finally got to watch Axel F last night. My wife just walked out after 30 minutes, lol. As with most Netflix films, it was a film. That's the best that I can say about it. It was just there. It hit the nostalgia buttons (Neutron Dance, Shakedown, The Heat is On, Taggart and Rosewood returning), but brought nothing new or worthwhile to the game. Eddie Murphy....one of the funniest people alive, and the guy hasn't made a good film since The Klumps.

I didn't feel the need to see the original again, and now I'm wondering if it would hold up and be as fun as I remember it being when I was a kid. Regardless, this is a mostly bad franchise, and I hope they let it rest in peace after this latest.....
                      Yeah, a friend of mine forced me to watch Axel F and it was pretty bad, a pure paint by numbers movie. Also doesn't help when your lead in an action film refuses to do stunts and won't even run. Murphy basically rides in a golf cart anytime he would have run in a previous film, it's so bad that it actually becomes funny. Probably the last new Eddie Murphy film that I will ever watch.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Yeah, a friend of mine forced me to watch Axel F and it was pretty bad, a pure paint by numbers movie. Also doesn't help when your lead in an action film refuses to do stunts and won't even run. Murphy basically rides in a golf cart anytime he would have run in a previous film, it's so bad that it actually becomes funny. Probably the last new Eddie Murphy film that I will ever watch.
                        LOL! I saw an interview where he (Jokingly, I thought...) said that he told the Director "I can't run!". Then I saw the movie, and realized he wasn't joking.

Comment

Wow. I'm not a fan of the series and these comments certainly don't change my opinion.

Tried watching a series called The Judge starring Brian Cranston. The premise was sketchy to me and the execution of said premise, from what I watched, isn't done very well. It feels forced and highly unbelievable. This is still on my watchlist but I doubt I will go back to it.

LOL! I saw an interview where he (Jokingly, I thought...) said that he told the Director "I can't run!". Then I saw the movie, and realized he wasn't joking.

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I didn't feel the need to see the original again, and now I'm wondering if it would hold up and be as fun as I remember it being when I was a kid..
                            My wife hadn't seen any of the Beverly Hills Cop movies but she wanted to after she saw the preview for Axel F. We've only watched the first one, and it's still pretty good. Funny in the right places, characters are great. It's worth revisting. I don't know if I've ever seen the sequels, but I own them, so we'll probably watch them one day.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

My wife hadn't seen any of the Beverly Hills Cop movies but she wanted to after she saw the preview for Axel F. We've only watched the first one, and it's still pretty good. Funny in the right places, characters are great. It's worth revisting. I don't know if I've ever seen the sequels, but I own them, so we'll probably watch them one day.
                              Maybe I'll give it a revisit after Shark Week ends.

Comment

Maybe I'll give it a revisit after Shark Week ends.
                                Money back guaranteed!

Comment

Working...
                                X