Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    So the wife and I have been tearing through some series lately. Here are the good and the bad:

Bodies (NETFLIX): I don't like to be negative as there is just too much of it on the internet, but this has to be one of the most frustrating shows that I've seen in the last four to five years. Based on a comic book (which I have not read so I have no knowledge how much the show sticks to or deviates from the source material), it starts with the great premise of a naked body of a dead man shows up in four different time periods--1890, 1941, 2023, and 2053--but through some simply bad writing and hand-waving away of plot details--the investigation in 2023 learns about the 1890 investigation, through finding a concrete block with information linked to the 1890 investigation carved into by the that time period's lead investigator. As to why he does it, the show gives no clarification; he just simply does--leading to show just falling apart. I have a lot more issues with the show than just this one example, but suffice to say, I do not recommend it.

Murder at the End of the World (HULU): Another murder mystery show that had great potential--and a lot of buzz around it--but just missed the mark. Like Bodies, the show is set in two different timelines: one in the past where our lead protagonist and her boyfriend are tracking a serial killer, and one in the present where our lead protagonist is tasked with solving a murder at an elite, isolated "think tank"-type retreat. I read a review that stated that it was like watching a really good movie mashed together with its inferior sequel and I have to agree. The stuff in the past is so interesting and compelling, but the modern day stuff, along with protagonist, is so flat and boring. Two other pet peeves--the show's use of internet sleuths as a deus ex machina to solve any roadblock in the investigation gets rather stale, and the way the modern day stuff keeps talking about computer hacks makes it feel like we're back in the 90s--also bogged down my enjoyment. It was significantly better than Bodies, but just didn't work for me.

Fargo Season 5 (HULU): Noah Hawley's Fargo came and saved the day with another great outing. I've never been a huge fan of Juno Temple, but she absolutely kills it in this season about a woman trying to escape her past. Jon Hamm is great as Temple's abusive ex-husbandand show manages to maintain its quirky sensibilities and penchant for intermingling the weird or surreal elements with its crime drama. It makes me want to go back and finish Noah Hawley's show Legion since I never got around to watching the third season and it makes me impatient to see what he's gonna do in his Alien TV show. Highly recommended.

Tokyo Vice Season 1 and Season 2: People seem to be sleeping on this series and I really think that it deserves more attention than its getting. With Michael Mann directing the first episode and featuring Ken Watanabe (who I think is so underrated), this has been on my radar for a while. Set in Tokyo during the late 90s, the show follows the interweaving story of the first American reporter for the newspaper The Meicho, a young up-and-comer in a yakuza gang, a grizzled police detective struggling to maintain the peace between rival gangs, and hostess in a club. The show isn't perfect, including some pacing issues in Season 1 which may have turned people off to returning for the second season. I would highly recommend watching both season back to back and just consider it one long story, instead of considering Season 1 in and of itself. Each episodes runtime of a roughly an hour and its measured pace makes binging difficult, but combining the last two episodes of Season 2 together is also recommended. Like I said, the show isn't perfect and I felt at the end of every episode that it was walking a tightrope between failing miserably and soaring, but it definitely pulls all of its plotlines together in a satisfying conclusion while still leaving things open for possible third season. Also highly recommended.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    We wrapped up the Apple + series MANHUNT last night, about the chase to capture John Wilkes Booth after Lincoln's assassination. Not as good as Apple's phenomenal MASTER OF THE AIR, but a decent way to spend 7 episodes.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Wrapped up Usher tonight. It was a solid show that I thought overplayed a few things. Jump scares and extreme depravity were pushed heavily. Overall I enjoyed it and had some great readings of Poe's work.

Only a few negatives with this show that I won't get into here. Revolving around societal and political commentary.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Apple+ flies under my radar for the most part. There is simply too many streaming services. But FOR ALL MANKIND did get on my radar in some way or another and I'm glad to hear another good review for it. My wife and I are always looking for good shows, but it seems to be more of a struggle now than in years past.
    We got three fee months of Apple + that we took advantage of because my son and I wanted to watch MONARCH, but when the trial was up, I couldn't get rid of it. There's a deceptive amount of good stuff on there. There's a new show called MANHUNT, about the hunt for John Wilkes Booth, that looks excellent, I've had people rave to me about FOUNDATION, there's a Detective show starting soon with Colin Farrell and a Ben Franklin mini-series with Michael Douglas, and they had KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON and NAPOLEON fresh from theaters. Plus, we've slowly been making our way through the classic PEANUTS library. My wife also found a lot of chick-stuff that she loved, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    My wife and I just finished watching all four seasons of FOR ALL MANKIND on Apple+, and I can't recommend it enough. It's an alternate history of NASA spinning out of the notion of Russia being first on the moon. It was a real "I hate to go to bed because I need to keep watching"Â type of TV show. We're both bummed that we have to wait who-knows-how-long for season five.

We also watched Mike Flanagan's THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER on Netflix, which we both really enjoyed. It took a few episodes for me to get into, maybe because ALL of the characters are complete scumbags, but we ended up loving it.
    Apple+ flies under my radar for the most part. There is simply too many streaming services. But FOR ALL MANKIND did get on my radar in some way or another and I'm glad to hear another good review for it. My wife and I are always looking for good shows, but it seems to be more of a struggle now than in years past.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Cool. I don't have the apple deal but I will check out Usher. I've always skipped over it with the thought at the back of mind that I would be underwhelmed.

Â
    For what little it may be worth, I second the recommendation for Usher. The first two episodes were really hard for me to get through--the youngest brother of the Usher family and his entourage were completely insufferable--but there is a lot to enjoy in the show and ends particularly strong. If you've watched any other Mike Flanagan show (Hill House, Midnight Mass, etc.) you will most likely enjoy this one. It's even more fun if you have at least a passing knowledge of Poe's stories because the riffs on the stories are interesting, but there are a ton of interesting easter eggs.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Cool. I don't have the apple deal but I will check out Usher. I've always skipped over it with the thought at the back of mind that I would be underwhelmed.

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    My wife and I just finished watching all four seasons of FOR ALL MANKIND on Apple+, and I can't recommend it enough. It's an alternate history of NASA spinning out of the notion of Russia being first on the moon. It was a real "I hate to go to bed because I need to keep watching"  type of TV show. We're both bummed that we have to wait who-knows-how-long for season five.

We also watched Mike Flanagan's THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER on Netflix, which we both really enjoyed. It took a few episodes for me to get into, maybe because ALL of the characters are complete scumbags, but we ended up loving it.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    My wife and I just finished watching all four seasons of FOR ALL MANKIND on Apple+, and I can't recommend it enough. It's an alternate history of NASA spinning out of the notion of Russia being first on the moon. It was a real "I hate to go to bed because I need to keep watching"  type of TV show. We're both bummed that we have to wait who-knows-how-long for season five.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Started watching 3 Body Problem. I like but I'm not sure what to think of it yet. I've watched episodes 1 and 2 and think it has good acting and an interesting premise so far. Hopefully the writer(s) can carry this through to the end.

Leave a comment:

• Alvin Moore
    replied
    At Modilimitado APK this version or Netflix is the perfect choice

Leave a comment:

• Alvin Moore
    replied
    Netflix is currently one of the most used TV viewing applications in the world, probably because they are well optimized and have many choices for you.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Alice in Borderland. It was a surprise find for me. I thought it was going to be a rehash of Squid Games however it really developed.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Watched season 1 and 2 of The Sinner over the last month or so. Started season 3 this week. I'm not digging 3 so much but thought S2 was very strong.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

No Joe Hill because I'm an idiot. The third season had the Lansdale story The Tall Grass, and try as I might, I can't separate this one from the King/Hill In The Tall Grass even though I know the difference.
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

Scalzi has promoted this in Twitter extensively. I was not aware of any of Joe Hill's work being included. What hill stories are covered?
    No Joe Hill because I'm an idiot. The third season had the Lansdale story The Tall Grass, and try as I might, I can't separate this one from the King/Hill In The Tall Grass even though I know the difference.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X