Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL. I can imagine many felt that way.

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

My old co-worker LIVED for this show, and I heard ALL about her discontent with the series finale, lol.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      Wrapped up Dexter. It was a little awkward but I enjoyed the last season. If I had watched at time of release I think I would've been a little pissed off about the finale but overall a solid show.

I agree that, overall, DEXTER is a solid show. I even think that the first 4-5 seasons are very good, even verging on great. There's just a slow decline after Season 4 (which, I believe, coincided with the original showrunner leaving) that hurts more because what came before was so good. I will admit that I was one of those viewers that was pretty upset with series conclusion. My problem with the last season or so is that the characters begin to act incredibly out of character
      Spoiler!
      . The series finale also seems to miss the mark in regards to Dexter's resolution. We, the audience, might have rooted for Dexter, but he was also never a "good guy" and that needed to be addressed in a more concrete fashion. However, DEXTER: NEW BLOOD does a pretty good job at providing a much better conclusion to the series and should really just be considered DEXTER Season 9. It's not perfect, but considering the place that the show left the character at the end of Season 8, I think it did a pretty great job. Looking at Amazon, it looks like you can watch it with a free trial of Paramount+ (which you could cancel once you're done watching the show). Anyways, glad you enjoyed show!

Comment

Thanks. I did see that Paramount offered a free 7 day trial which included Dexter. I'm likely going to take advantage of that offer.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I agree that, overall, DEXTER is a solid show. I even think that the first 4-5 seasons are very good, even verging on great. There's just a slow decline after Season 4 (which, I believe, coincided with the original showrunner leaving) that hurts more because what came before was so good. I will admit that I was one of those viewers that was pretty upset with series conclusion. My problem with the last season or so is that the characters begin to act incredibly out of character
        Spoiler!
        . The series finale also seems to miss the mark in regards to Dexter's resolution. We, the audience, might have rooted for Dexter, but he was also never a "good guy" and that needed to be addressed in a more concrete fashion. However, DEXTER: NEW BLOOD does a pretty good job at providing a much better conclusion to the series and should really just be considered DEXTER Season 9. It's not perfect, but considering the place that the show left the character at the end of Season 8, I think it did a pretty great job. Looking at Amazon, it looks like you can watch it with a free trial of Paramount+ (which you could cancel once you're done watching the show). Anyways, glad you enjoyed show!
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Finally went back and watched the first season of THE LAST OF US in its entirety. My wife had tapped out after the first episode a while back because she is just not a fan of Anna Torv who plays Tess in the show and I followed one episode later because I just wasn't into it at the time. We both powered through the show and by the end of the first season, we both enjoyed it quite a bit. It's hard not to compare it to THE WALKING DEAD as it focuses on survivors of a viral apocalypse making their way through the world while fighting against either bad or infected humans and after that franchise, with its 320+ episodes of various shows, I felt that this concept was pretty much run into the ground. Yet THE LAST OF US proves that a story doesn't necessarily need to be original to be engaging, but rather simply well told. And THE LAST OF US tells its story well.

Also started rewatching the first couple of seasons of THE BEAR before checking out season three. Finished season one last night and I still really enjoyed the show, even knowing where it would go. The episode with the to-go orders still sent me into such a high level of anxiety. Such a good show. Looking forward to digging into season two.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
            Finally went back and watched the first season of THE LAST OF US in its entirety. My wife had tapped out after the first episode a while back because she is just not a fan of Anna Torv who plays Tess in the show and I followed one episode later because I just wasn't into it at the time. We both powered through the show and by the end of the first season, we both enjoyed it quite a bit. It's hard not to compare it to THE WALKING DEAD as it focuses on survivors of a viral apocalypse making their way through the world while fighting against either bad or infected humans and after that franchise, with its 320+ episodes of various shows, I felt that this concept was pretty much run into the ground. Yet THE LAST OF US proves that a story doesn't necessarily need to be original to be engaging, but rather simply well told. And THE LAST OF US tells its story well.

Also started rewatching the first couple of seasons of THE BEAR before checking out season three. Finished season one last night and I still really enjoyed the show, even knowing where it would go. The episode with the to-go orders still sent me into such a high level of anxiety. Such a good show. Looking forward to digging into season two.
            Haven't seen any of THE BEAR yet, but I did enjoy THE LAST OF US. It took me a while to get around to it, but I have yet to be let down by any of these HBO tentpole series

Comment

I finished both the second and third seasons of THE BEAR. This was my second go-around with season two and the first time I struggled a little bit with its pacing as the show took a few episodes to spotlight individual characters and while the episodes were good--okay, the Richie-led "Forks" just might be one of the best of the series--I had originally felt that the show might have lost some of the anxiety-inducing intensity of the first season. This time I really appreciated this episode and what it sought to accomplish. The season still had a motor guiding it with the reopening arc and the spotlight episodes I felt dovetailed well into the sense that while the restaurant might be moving forward, the edges were fraying a bit, something that is suggested by Syd's arc through the season. So while I enjoyed it the first time I watched it, this time my appreciation for it grew.

However, that brings us to the third season. This wasn't necessarily a bad season--those retroactively deciding the show has always been bad are overreacting--but it did struggle with blending its elements better. There seemed to be a desire to rely on comic relief more, possibly due to the fact that the show is listed as a comedy, but is decidedly not. It's funny, but not in the way that the comedy label would lead you to think. However, this grew increasingly tiresome, especially due to the lack any clear focus for the season. The result of which is that the season felt half-baked. Now this could be due to the increased workload as season three and four were written and shot back-to-back, doubling the amount of episode in the same amount of time as previous years. If the first and second seasons were graded an "A" by me (which they are), then I'd say that season three was a B-. I hope that season four tightens the narrative reigns a bit more.

Comment

Working...
              X