Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Is it weird that you can walk into your home library and put a book back unto a shelf, in it's spot, in basically the pitch dark?
    Not at all, I’ve been known to do the same a time or two. Speaking of home libraries, I just featured pictures of mine on Twitter today, if you want to have a look:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...986778633?s=21
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Fantastic looking library. Love the bookcases with the glass doors. Those are the ones on my wish list.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Not at all, I’ve been known to do the same a time or two. Speaking of home libraries, I just featured pictures of mine on Twitter today, if you want to have a look:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...986778633?s=21
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Beautiful Ron. I have about half my books behind glass at this point. My target is to get that number to over 80% this year. How many other rooms do you have books? I realized that I have books in every room that does not have running water.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Martin, there are 3 more bookcases — two barrister-style and one standard — in an alcove on the other side of this room, but no way to include them all in one shot. There are 6 more bookcases in an upstairs loft, most of them also glass-fronted.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Martin, there are 3 more bookcases — two barrister-style and one standard — in an alcove on the other side of this room, but no way to include them all in one shot. There are 6 more bookcases in an upstairs loft, most of them also glass-fronted.
            Thanks. Although I am converting to cases with glass doors I am taking a much less expensive route. Most of mine are Ikea Billy cases with glass doors. Your cases have a much richer look and will outlive mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Thanks. Although I am converting to cases with glass doors I am taking a much less expensive route. Most of mine are Ikea Billy cases with glass doors. Your cases have a much richer look and will outlive mine.
              They're not the true antique Globe Wernicke cases, but modern facsimiles thereof, and I am admittedly very pleased to have them. I was fortunate enough to get most of these 20 or so years ago when you could still get both decent craftsmanship in real wood *and* there was enough demand still for bookcases that they weren't so uncommon as to subsequently require special order and thus be rather expensive. I have a couple from that latter time frame and I'm sure I paid twice as much for each of those than I did for the earlier ones.

Comment

I read recently there is a cycle of Black books by Cornell Woolrich. I've seen the titles. Are the books connected at all? Cap
                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
                  I read recently there is a cycle of Black books by Cornell Woolrich. I've seen the titles. Are the books connected at all? Cap
                  No, they're all independent standalones. They are: The Bride Wore Black (1940), The Black Curtain (1941), Black Alibi (1942), The Black Angel (1943), The Black Path of Fear (1944) and Rendezvous in Black (1948).

Comment

They're not the true antique Globe Wernicke cases, but modern facsimiles thereof, and I am admittedly very pleased to have them. I was fortunate enough to get most of these 20 or so years ago when you could still get both decent craftsmanship in real wood *and* there was enough demand still for bookcases that they weren't so uncommon as to subsequently require special order and thus be rather expensive. I have a couple from that latter time frame and I'm sure I paid twice as much for each of those than I did for the earlier ones.
                    I'm a thrift store, consignment shop rat, so I’m always looking for good bookcases and have been pretty lucky finding them. My best buy was a $90.00 three tier barrister bookcase, with the Globe label. A bookstore that I frequented went out of business about 15 years ago. I had complemented the owner on a set of Raven bookends that she had on display in the past and she asked me if I would like to purchase them. She quoted me such a good price, I had to get them. That purchase led me to ask if she was selling any of her bookcases. Now here’s where it get’s interesting. She was keeping some of her bookcases because she planned to downsize and open at another location, which she later did. However, she had had an offer from a competitor, a person that she really didn’t think much of, for a lot of her stock and fixtures. The upshot was, a number of the bookcases had belonged to her deceased husband and she didn’t want this person to get them. So if I could give her $500.00 and have the bookcases out of the shop by closing that evening, she would sell me 12 bookcases, including 2 specially built 8 footers, three antique glass faced cases. The rest were older well built hardwood bookcases. Now, $500.00 wasn’t growing on trees, but I scraped it together and showed up with my truck in time to get the bookcases home and in storage before closing. Over the years I saw Betty a number of times and she always asked me how Paul’s Bookcases were doing. That’s really how I got most of my current bookcases, though I have sold a few on and upgraded when possible. My wife has me under strict control these days LOl!!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I'm a thrift store, consignment shop rat, so I’m always looking for good bookcases and have been pretty lucky finding them. My best buy was a $90.00 three tier barrister bookcase, with the Globe label. A bookstore that I frequented went out of business about 15 years ago. I had complemented the owner on a set of Raven bookends that she had on display in the past and she asked me if I would like to purchase them. She quoted me such a good price, I had to get them. That purchase led me to ask if she was selling any of her bookcases. Now here’s where it get’s interesting. She was keeping some of her bookcases because she planned to downsize and open at another location, which she later did. However, she had had an offer from a competitor, a person that she really didn’t think much of, for a lot of her stock and fixtures. The upshot was, a number of the bookcases had belonged to her deceased husband and she didn’t want this person to get them. So if I could give her $500.00 and have the bookcases out of the shop by closing that evening, she would sell me 12 bookcases, including 2 specially built 8 footers, three antique glass faced cases. The rest were older well built hardwood bookcases. Now, $500.00 wasn’t growing on trees, but I scraped it together and showed up with my truck in time to get the bookcases home and in storage before closing. Over the years I saw Betty a number of times and she always asked me how Paul’s Bookcases were doing. That’s really how I got most of my current bookcases, though I have sold a few on and upgraded when possible. My wife has me under strict control these days LOl!!
                      That’s a wonderful story and one helluva deal...wow! Betty sounds like a great lady, preferring her husband’s bookcases go to a good home rather than to the highest bidder. You were certainly in the right place at the right time that day.

Comment

That’s a wonderful story and one helluva deal...wow! Betty sounds like a great lady, preferring her husband’s bookcases go to a good home rather than to the highest bidder. You were certainly in the right place at the right time that day.
                        A picture of the famous $90.00 Book Case and the Raven that started it all!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is my quarterly whine about bookshelves..The nearest IKEA is 330 miles away. There doesn't seem to be any decent quality/priced glass door bookshelves anywhere else. Waaa. I'm done. Thanks!

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                            Here is my quarterly whine about bookshelves..The nearest IKEA is 330 miles away. There doesn't seem to be any decent quality/priced glass door bookshelves anywhere else. Waaa. I'm done. Thanks!

Sounds like it's time for a road trip LOl!!!

Comment

I got all my bookshelves from my last job. I had just started there in 2002, when they announced that we would be moving to a new building that came with office furniture, so they were going to auction off most of the furniture in the current building. I bid on a desk (still using it 18+ years later) and as many bookshelves as I could, not thinking I'd get most of them.

Apparently, very few people wanted bookshelves I ended up getting 28 of them at $5 each. When the day came to pick up your purchases, it was mostly people grabbing a nice chair and sticking it in their car. As the new guy, I got some funny looks when I drove up in a U-Haul truck and started loading up. I got the 28 bookshelves, two desks, and two chairs. One desk was just something I wanted as a workbench, and it's still in the basement.

The bookshelves are scattered around the house (as many as my wife let me get away with), and the rest are lining the walls of the attic, mostly filled with older paperbacks. Once COVID is done, I have to sort through them and get rid of a lot. No way I'm moving these again.

attic.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                                I got all my bookshelves from my last job. I had just started there in 2002, when they announced that we would be moving to a new building that came with office furniture, so they were going to auction off most of the furniture in the current building. I bid on a desk (still using it 18+ years later) and as many bookshelves as I could, not thinking I'd get most of them.

Apparently, very few people wanted bookshelves I ended up getting 28 of them at $5 each. When the day came to pick up your purchases, it was mostly people grabbing a nice chair and sticking it in their car. As the new guy, I got some funny looks when I drove up in a U-Haul truck and started loading up. I got the 28 bookshelves, two desks, and two chairs. One desk was just something I wanted as a workbench, and it's still in the basement.

The bookshelves are scattered around the house (as many as my wife let me get away with), and the rest are lining the walls of the attic, mostly filled with older paperbacks. Once COVID is done, I have to sort through them and get rid of a lot. No way I'm moving these again.

attic.JPG
                                BAM!!

Comment

Working...
                                X