No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We ended up not having any kids for Halloween either. My grown up kid took care of the excess candy.

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I purchased a bag of candy in case any kids came by on Halloween. Had zero kids so the bag sits on the love seat near the front door unopened.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I have no one in the house but me so that does not work. Family Christmas is normally hosted here but as it is looking more like that will not happen I am planning on delivering gifts to the kids I buy for. I think I will probably include the candy in those deliveries.

Comment

I purchased a bag of candy in case any kids came by on Halloween. Had zero kids so the bag sits on the love seat near the front door unopened.
        That's will power far beyond my means of comprehension.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I have a mystery on my hands. Has anyone here ever dealt with Newtonville Books from Newton PA? Received a shipment from them today. Problem is I have never heard of them before. The shipment is addressed to me and has no paperwork of any kind enclosed. Three books are in the box. One hard cover first edition with a copyright of 2020. Two paperbacks, neither look like ARCS but they both have copyrights dated 2021. The hardback is from one author and the two paperbacks are from another author but the author of the hardback also wrote an introduction for one of the paperbacks. I have also never heard of either author. I am puzzled!

Comment

I have a mystery on my hands. Has anyone here ever dealt with Newtonville Books from Newton PA? Received a shipment from them today. Problem is I have never heard of them before. The shipment is addressed to me and has no paperwork of any kind enclosed. Three books are in the box. One hard cover first edition with a copyright of 2020. Two paperbacks, neither look like ARCS but they both have copyrights dated 2021. The hardback is from one author and the two paperbacks are from another author but the author of the hardback also wrote an introduction for one of the paperbacks. I have also never heard of either author. I am puzzled!
            At first I thought that this was a small press, and you'd been sent reviews copies based on some contact info you have floating out there from previous reviews. But having just Googled them, it's a bookstore, so my guess is you received someone else's books...no idea how they had your info, unless perhaps you'd ordered from them so long ago you've forgotten...?

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

At first I thought that this was a small press, and you'd been sent reviews copies based on some contact info you have floating out there from previous reviews. But having just Googled them, it's a bookstore, so my guess is you received someone else's books...no idea how they had your info, unless perhaps you'd ordered from them so long ago you've forgotten...?
              Someone else's books was my initial thought. The issue there is that I know for a fact I have never ordered from them before. In fact I am sure that I have never even heard of the store or the authors before. Even considered that I may have seen a giveaway on Goodreads that looked interesting and entered. Checked Goodreads and I have not entered a giveaway for any of these titles.

Comment

That's will power far beyond my means of comprehension.
                Trust me, had my wife been here the bag would not still be sealed. If I am going to eat sweets I will pick some Moonstruck truffles when I am out! They taste much better and have far fewer calories since they run about $1.50 a piece and I can't afford to have many. Plus I can get them with Beer, Spirits or wine infused. Bourbon Truffles are fantastic!
                MoonCrafters.jpgMoon Wine.jpgMoonDistiller.jpg
                Attached Files

Comment

Guys, my indulging in sweets is long behind me. I occasionally have something on a weekend. Too much sugar literally turns my stomach.....Salt on the other hand LOL!!!

Comment

I've had Moonstruck chocolates before, and they are fantastic. And, good lord, that Oregon Distillers Collection of truffles looks beyond delicious. I don't typically like booze-infused chocolates, but I would make an immediate exception for that box!

With Macy's stores going out of business right and left, not sure if I'm going to get my usual box or two of Frangos this year.
                    Last edited by RonClinton; 11-19-2020, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I'll be right over.

Comment

I've had Moonstruck chocolates before, and they are fantastic. And, good lord, that Oregon Distillers Collection of truffles looks beyond delicious. I don't typically like booze-infused chocolates, but I would make an immediate exception for that box!

With Macy's stores going out of business right and left, not sure if I'm going to get my usual box or two of Frangos this year.
                        Moonstruck does better than others I have tried with spirits infused. Most go overboard with the liquor. With Moonstruck you can taste the booze but it is not overwhelming. They cost even more though, if I remember correctly they run about $3 a piece.
                        For a while Maryhill winery sold a dark chocolate ball filled with their Old Vine Zinfandel wine. That was the best alcohol/chocolate I have ever had!

Comment

Moonstruck does better than others I have tried with spirits infused. Most go overboard with the liquor. With Moonstruck you can taste the booze but it is not overwhelming. They cost even more though, if I remember correctly they run about $3 a piece.
                          For a while Maryhill winery sold a dark chocolate ball filled with their Old Vine Zinfandel wine. That was the best alcohol/chocolate I have ever had!
                          My wife and I hit Maryhill for the first time a few summers ago while vacationing in the Hood River / Columbia Gorge area...very cool winery, with the amphitheater, fields, etc. They've opened up a satellite winery (tasting room and sales center) in Woodinville, but it's not the same...frankly, their wine is not that good, so without the Goldendale scenery it's not really worth the visit.

Comment

My wife and I hit Maryhill for the first time a few summers ago while vacationing in the Hood River / Columbia Gorge area...very cool winery, with the amphitheater, fields, etc. They've opened up a satellite winery (tasting room and sales center) in Woodinville, but it's not the same...frankly, their wine is not that good, so without the Goldendale scenery it's not really worth the visit.
                            Their reserve wines are good. The rest are just ok and often not worth the price. They have a tasting room in Vancouver that I have never been to. I will check it out at some point when I am again doing things like that. Walla Walla is producing the best wines in the NW at thins point. Zerba Cellars and Dunham Estates are the cream of the crop but most in the Walla Walla area have some good wines. Just do not visit there in the summer. Last time we went it averaged 107 degrees during the day. Kind of zaps your willingness to consume wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

I'll be right over.
                              Come on over, you can have the whole bag!

Comment

Based on plans made early this year, my wife and I planned to hit the Walla Walla area this summer or Fall, and...well, that didn’t work out, to say the least. Maybe next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X