Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Moved the good reads posts to a good reads thread I just started.

http://forum.cemeterydance.com/showthread.php?1668
    Great idea!

Comment

And to all those who think they spend too much money on books, It's time for another installment of:

Most expensive sales on Abebooks (December 2012)

1. Pasiphaé by Henri Matisse - $30,000
      A first edition from 1944, limited to 230 copies, and signed in pen by Matisse. The book contains 147 original linocuts.

2. The Works of Rudyard Kipling - $28,478
      Kipling’s complete works, published as the Sussex Edition in 35 large octavo volumes by Macmillan in 1937. This was a numbered set, limited to 525 copies, signed by the author on the limitation leaf.

3. La Bibbia Di Federico Da Montefeltro - $23,420
      This is a reproduction (published in two volumes) of the Urbino Bible from the late 15th century which was originally found in the collection of Federico da Montefeltro (Duke of Urbino). This edition was published in a limited run of 500 numbered copies in 2003. The miniatures from the original edition have been enlarged for greater effect.

4. Le Proprietaire des Choses Tresutille et Profitable aux Corps Humains by Bartholomaeus Anglicus - $11,244
      Bartholomeus Anglicus (Bartholomew of England) was a 13th century scholar and a Franciscan monk who lived in Paris and wrote on a wide variety of topics. This work, published around 1500, covers astronomy, medicine, geology, botany, zoology, geography and mineralogy.

5. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland illustrated by Salvador Dali - $9,250
      Dali created 12 original illustrations to accompany Lewis Carroll’s classic story for this 1969 publication limited to 2,500 copies - all of which were signed by Dali.

6. Index to Choctaw - Chickasaw Deeds and Allotments by Edward Hastain - $9,000
      Published in 1908, this three-volume set contains an alphabetical list of the members of the Choctaw and Chickasaw tribes by blood as well as details on homestead status, legal description of their lands, and other vitals. This was one of four Native American roll lists prepared by Hastain.

7. The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester by John Nichols - $8,862
      This first edition set was published in four volumes from 1795 to 1815 (this set was re-bound in eight volumes).

8. Poetical Works of Percy Bysshe Shelley by Percy Bysshe Shelley - $8,500
      Published as a limited edition (one of 250 copies) by William Morris at the Kelmscott Press in 1854, three volumes.

9. Arcana Naturae Detecta by Antonio Van Leeuwenhoek - $7,767
      A first edition published in 1695. Leeuwenhoek was a pioneering microbiologists. He discovered protozoa and bacteria and was the first to describe spermatozoa and red blood corpuscles.

10. Brill’s New Pauly: Encyclopedia of the Ancient World by Hubert Cancik et al - $7,073
      The English edition of the authoritative modern reference work for scholars concerned with the ancient world. Published in 15 volumes.

So don't feel too bad about the money you spend at Cemetery Dance!
      Last edited by srboone; 01-09-2013, 05:34 AM.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Cool, thanks for posting Squire! Its been a while since I've seen one of these lists!

Comment

I think I got fed up with the listwhen I realized that one of my dogs had chewed up my 1910 African Game Trails by Theodore Roosevelt (the month it was on t he list for $18,000!). It has been a while.
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I remember that, OUCH!

Comment

Nice list, Squire. I was watching Anthony Bourdain in Dublin last night, and he visited a bookstore that had some cool first editions, such as Bram Stoker's Dracula. He asked about one book that cost 25,000 Euro. My wife asked if I'd ever been to that bookstore, and I laughed. When I lived in Ireland I had a list of Banba bookstores in Dublin that I'd visit once a month or so. They used to have books for 10p now and again, and I remember hauling a big garbage sack filled with 116 books home on the bus one day. I wasn't going for collectibles back then, I was just trying to get my hands on all the American books that weren't published in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                And to all those who think they spend too much money on books, It's time for another installment of:

Most expensive sales on Abebooks (December 2012)

1. Pasiphaé by Henri Matisse - $30,000
                A first edition from 1944, limited to 230 copies, and signed in pen by Matisse. The book contains 147 original linocuts.

2. The Works of Rudyard Kipling - $28,478
                Kipling’s complete works, published as the Sussex Edition in 35 large octavo volumes by Macmillan in 1937. This was a numbered set, limited to 525 copies, signed by the author on the limitation leaf.

3. La Bibbia Di Federico Da Montefeltro - $23,420
                This is a reproduction (published in two volumes) of the Urbino Bible from the late 15th century which was originally found in the collection of Federico da Montefeltro (Duke of Urbino). This edition was published in a limited run of 500 numbered copies in 2003. The miniatures from the original edition have been enlarged for greater effect.

4. Le Proprietaire des Choses Tresutille et Profitable aux Corps Humains by Bartholomaeus Anglicus - $11,244
                Bartholomeus Anglicus (Bartholomew of England) was a 13th century scholar and a Franciscan monk who lived in Paris and wrote on a wide variety of topics. This work, published around 1500, covers astronomy, medicine, geology, botany, zoology, geography and mineralogy.

5. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland illustrated by Salvador Dali - $9,250
                Dali created 12 original illustrations to accompany Lewis Carroll’s classic story for this 1969 publication limited to 2,500 copies - all of which were signed by Dali.

6. Index to Choctaw - Chickasaw Deeds and Allotments by Edward Hastain - $9,000
                Published in 1908, this three-volume set contains an alphabetical list of the members of the Choctaw and Chickasaw tribes by blood as well as details on homestead status, legal description of their lands, and other vitals. This was one of four Native American roll lists prepared by Hastain.

7. The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester by John Nichols - $8,862
                This first edition set was published in four volumes from 1795 to 1815 (this set was re-bound in eight volumes).

8. Poetical Works of Percy Bysshe Shelley by Percy Bysshe Shelley - $8,500
                Published as a limited edition (one of 250 copies) by William Morris at the Kelmscott Press in 1854, three volumes.

9. Arcana Naturae Detecta by Antonio Van Leeuwenhoek - $7,767
                A first edition published in 1695. Leeuwenhoek was a pioneering microbiologists. He discovered protozoa and bacteria and was the first to describe spermatozoa and red blood corpuscles.

10. Brill’s New Pauly: Encyclopedia of the Ancient World by Hubert Cancik et al - $7,073
                The English edition of the authoritative modern reference work for scholars concerned with the ancient world. Published in 15 volumes.

So don't feel too bad about the money you spend at Cemetery Dance!
                Nice try..

Comment

Just like to say I'm back, going to try & be a good member again :-)

Comment

Good to have you back. Any new projects for us to spend our money on?
                    Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
                      Welcome back Tom!!!

Comment

Lost my intrnet Saturday night till about 1 hour ago. No big deal for me but watching the kids freak as there was also no phone service was quite fun.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                          Lost my intrnet Saturday night till about 1 hour ago. No big deal for me but watching the kids freak as there was also no phone service was quite fun.
                          Haha, priceless! I'm actually happy when there is no power/internet (sometimes, not all the time). Its nice to take a break sometime, plus it usually means extra reading time!

Comment

Here's a random thought. How can the United States Postal Service claim to be going bankrupt when they just charged me 7.05 to ship a 13oz envelope across the States. It's not like they have to make a special trip just for me. They wanted to charge me 34.00 for express delivery.
                            OK, I'm done bitching for now.
                            "now youes can't leave"
                            A Bronx Tale
                            directed by Robert De Niro.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabrina Morgan View Post
                              Here's a random thought. How can the United States Postal Service claim to be going bankrupt when they just charged me 7.05 to ship a 13oz envelope across the States. It's not like they have to make a special trip just for me. They wanted to charge me 34.00 for express delivery.
                              OK, I'm done bitching for now.
                              It's not the express and (I'm going to assume that 7.05 was for priority mail) classes that are bankrupting the USPS. If more people used those methods instead of the cheaper methods the post office would be fine. What is driving the USPS to bankruptcy are A. their business policies, B. Their regular letter service, and C. their cheaper / odd shipping methods like media mail.

For example, via media mail it costs me exactly the same amount of money to ship a 1 pound book just down the street as it does to Hawaii. Though the major thing though is really the regular mail service, as something like 75% of the mail handled by the USPS are letters with stamps on them. Even if the package service was profitable, I'm not sure it could make up for the lack of profit in letter handling.
                              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I shouldn't complain because I'm going to be sad if they stop delivering on Saturdays.
                                "now youes can't leave"
                                A Bronx Tale
                                directed by Robert De Niro.

Comment

Working...
                                X