No announcement yet.

Random thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I asked my friend Phil Kalanta to make a case for my only (so far!) hardcover, and he did a wonderful job, even with my out-of-the-ordinary paper selections. Winchester is a bit out of my commute range (I live in Staunton, down I-81 a number of exits) or I would take that workshop too!case-1.jpgcase-2.jpg

Comment

That's a really nice looking traycase.

Comment

Come on Keith, I live in Richmond LOL!! Love Staunton, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
          I have always wanted to find a way to get unique inexpensive slipcases. I think I've finally found a way. This October I'm enrolling in a Clamshell Box Making workshop. The class is offered by the School for Bookbinding Arts at Cat Tail Run, Winchester VA. I'll keep Y'all posted!
          That sounds wonderful -- sounds like a great hobby that could complement another, by producing slipcases for your special volumes...perfect!

Btw, Keith, that is a beautiful traycase.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I have always wanted to find a way to get unique inexpensive slipcases. I think I've finally found a way. This October I'm enrolling in a Clamshell Box Making workshop. The class is offered by the School for Bookbinding Arts at Cat Tail Run, Winchester VA. I'll keep Y'all posted!
            This is so cool. I'd be all over this! I've been checking out tutorials on how to make slipcases and might give that a crack. Interested to get your feedback about this class!

Comment

Originally posted by keithminnion View Post
              I asked my friend Phil Kalanta to make a case for my only (so far!) hardcover, and he did a wonderful job, even with my out-of-the-ordinary paper selections. Winchester is a bit out of my commute range (I live in Staunton, down I-81 a number of exits) or I would take that workshop too![ATTACH=CONFIG]19538[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19539[/ATTACH]
              Wow! That case is great!

Comment

My 17-year-old daughter, a middling horror fan in her own right, is doing her annual Beat the Bridge run here in Seattle to help the fight against juvenile diabetes. It will in all likelihood be her final time participating in this very worthy charity run, as she explains on her donation page (short version: heading off to college). Should anyone at this fine forum have interest in contributing to her efforts, my daughter's page for tax-deductible contributions can be found here:

http://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR?px=1942...jkF1XrmbWRymGg

This year's Sat., May 21st, run marks her thirteen-year anniversary running the JDRF Beat the Bridge charity event, making it more than a decade that she's been supporting the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation through sweat, dedication, and a passion to help others.

She's now within $100 of reaching her goal, so with Tax Day only six days away (4/18) and write-offs firmly in everyone's minds, if anyone would like to have a nice little write-off for next year, you can create one for youself -- and do good by helping JDRF -- at the above link.

Comment

Done!

Comment

Done!
                    Very kind and generous of you, Mike -- thank you very much. She and I -- and JDRF and the research it funds -- appreciate it.

Comment

Great cause, I donated as well. Thanks for posting the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                        Great cause, I donated as well. Thanks for posting the link.
                        On the contrary, Martin, thank *you* for supporting my daughter and her worthy cause.

Comment

I know we were talking about carnivals and fairs the other day and I think I mentioned a pamphlet that Virginia puts out that lists all the fairs. Since fair season is about to start, it showed up yesterday. This is sort of a cut rate version, not even a pamphlet. The old publication used to list all the Amusement/Ride companies that would be at each venue. Anyway, thought I'd share. Have a great weekend all!

VA Fairs04212017083802.jpgVA Fairs04212017083800.jpg

Comment

There are so many! Wish we had that many here!

Comment

Before I could afford to buy books from Cemetery Dance and Centipede Press, etc, I was an avid, actually I still am, paperback collector. I was was shifting some things around and found these. They were published by Black Lizard Books back in the mid 1980s. As you can see, Black Lizard made a great effort to reprint vintage/Gold Medal Classics. They came in trade and mass market size. I have quite a few of these and i really enjoy thumbing through and re-reading these titles. Of course, the artwork is quite fetching lol!
                              IMG_0740.jpg

Comment

They've done a lot to keep vintage crime in circulation, even now. My first taste of Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler and Jim Thompson came in the form a Black Lizard paperback.

Comment

Working...
                                X