Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Staad
    replied
    No it doesn't. Purchase prices don't reflect it but it seems cars are more and more disposable these days. The insurance company wants nothing to do with fixing the car and they are much more interested in a cash offer.

We have asked for them to send out an adjuster, which they didn't want to do, before we make a decision.

The officer that came out to the scene said most insurances consider a car "totaled" once the airbags are deployed...Sounded odd to me however the insurance agent basically said the same thing.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Doesn't take much to total a car these days. Wow! Glad everyone is ok as well. Bright side, you win a new car! I'd spring for the Camaro ZL1

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Very sorry to hear of the accident, but glad to hear only the car was hurt!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Thank you. Seat-belts on and airbags deployed. First time I've experienced side air-bags.
    Had a friend several years ago get rear ended while he was at read light. The car that hot him never even braked. Airbags deployed and he was sore but no real harm done. The loaner car they gave him was a Camry. I happened to own a Camry at the time. His first day leaving work with the loaner he tossed his laptop on the passenger seat. A light on the dash said "Passenger Airbag Off". He panicked and called me since he had just been saved serious injury from airbags. The airbag detonator did burn the sleeve on his jacket but he was very glad he had airbags in that accident.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    Thank you. Seat-belts on and airbags deployed. First time I've experienced side air-bags.
    Doesn't take much to total a car these days. Wow! Glad everyone is ok as well. Bright side, you win a new car! I'd spring for the Camaro ZL1

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    This happened yesterday...Person ran a red light and -it appears- totaled our less than a year old car. Everyone was okay but we are both very sore and tired today.

KIMG0309.jpeg
    Sorry to hear about the accident but glad to hear no serious injuries.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    This happened yesterday...Person ran a red light and -it appears- totaled our less than a year old car. Everyone was okay but we are both very sore and tired today.

KIMG0309.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Fantastic — enjoy, and let me know what you think of it when you finally visit...I might have to pop in myself on my next trip down.
    I will let you know. The space she is in is pretty tight. Her only being open by appointment only makes perfect sense and I will not waster her time to browse. I have a classic horror novel that I have been jonesing for a re-read. I believe my copy never returned from a loan out and it is now out of print. The cheapest I can find a quality used copy runs over $100 delivered. I think I am going to email her and see if she can find it for a comparable or lower price. If she finds that I will go pick it up. I will let you know how her service is.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

Thanks for the heads up. I had never heard of this store before. I checked out her address and I am familiar with the strip mall she is in. I have driven by it several times. It is primarily populated by Mexican markets so I do not even bother to look. I will definitely get in there when she is able to open to the public again. I am also impressed with her website, easy to search and navigate. I will absolutely be sending some business her way. Joined her email list and added her to my Instagram and Twitter follows. Thanks for the tip!
    Fantastic — enjoy, and let me know what you think of it when you finally visit...I might have to pop in myself on my next trip down.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Hey, Martin, after Powell’s, you may want to check out this bookstore in Gresham:

Books Around the Corner in Gresham, Ore., is becoming a genre bookstore, owner Stephanie Csaszar announced this week. Going forward, the new and used bookstore will focus primarily on science fiction, fantasy, horror and mystery. It will continue to carry books for all ages as well as related nonfiction titles and gifts.

Customers will still be able to special order any title, and popular pre-orders in all genres will be displayed on the website. In addition, the store's remaining non-genre titles will be 40% off through Independent Bookstore Day.

The store's new genre focus will also be represented in its book clubs. There are five in total, including a science fiction club, a fantasy club, a horror club, a mystery club and the No Shelf Control Book Club, which will read books from a variety of genres.

Csaszar, who opened the store in 2018, noted that genre fiction has always made up more of the inventory than fiction and nonfiction, and over time sales of those genres have only increased. Throughout the pandemic, she continued, she's had more time to look at sales and see "what is actually selling and what is collecting dust on the shelves."

Since making the announcement earlier this week, Csaszar reported, she's received "not only support but excitement from our readers." She added: "I love all things strange and unusual and escaping to different worlds."

Thanks for the heads up. I had never heard of this store before. I checked out her address and I am familiar with the strip mall she is in. I have driven by it several times. It is primarily populated by Mexican markets so I do not even bother to look. I will definitely get in there when she is able to open to the public again. I am also impressed with her website, easy to search and navigate. I will absolutely be sending some business her way. Joined her email list and added her to my Instagram and Twitter follows. Thanks for the tip!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Hey, Martin, after Powell’s, you may want to check out this bookstore in Gresham:

Books Around the Corner in Gresham, Ore., is becoming a genre bookstore, owner Stephanie Csaszar announced this week. Going forward, the new and used bookstore will focus primarily on science fiction, fantasy, horror and mystery. It will continue to carry books for all ages as well as related nonfiction titles and gifts.

Customers will still be able to special order any title, and popular pre-orders in all genres will be displayed on the website. In addition, the store's remaining non-genre titles will be 40% off through Independent Bookstore Day.

The store's new genre focus will also be represented in its book clubs. There are five in total, including a science fiction club, a fantasy club, a horror club, a mystery club and the No Shelf Control Book Club, which will read books from a variety of genres.

Csaszar, who opened the store in 2018, noted that genre fiction has always made up more of the inventory than fiction and nonfiction, and over time sales of those genres have only increased. Throughout the pandemic, she continued, she's had more time to look at sales and see "what is actually selling and what is collecting dust on the shelves."

Since making the announcement earlier this week, Csaszar reported, she's received "not only support but excitement from our readers." She added: "I love all things strange and unusual and escaping to different worlds."

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I suppose all of those are possibilities.

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Yes. I figure they have fallen through the cracks, into a spam folder, or the item is simply no longer available. I rarely think to shop there though.

Leave a comment:

• Brian861
    replied
    I like Betts Books and have great respect for David however there have been multiple times that emails have not been responded to. Has anyone else had this experience?
    Yes. I figure they have fallen through the cracks, into a spam folder, or the item is simply no longer available. I rarely think to shop there though.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

I have battled Insomnia since I was a teen, inherited it from my mother. I have nightly medication that makes it manageable most of the time. I am approaching the one year anniversary of the worst moment in my life. I knew it would shake me and am planning on taking a vacation and going to the beach at the time. The mind fuck is starting earlier than I anticipated. The next month will be rough but I will make it through the other side.
    Hang in there, Martin, and know our thoughts and condolences are still with you. Spend some time with good memories amid the sound of the ocean, then come back and treat yourself to a long afternoon at Powell’s, about the best distraction one can find.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I like Betts Books and have great respect for David however there have been multiple times that emails have not been responded to. Has anyone else had this experience?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X