X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Ducking out of work a little early today to go see Phillips Fracassi speak at the Poisoned Pen Bookstore between 4-5pm. Am actually pretty excited for this. I picked-up up his two short story collections when they were offered by Thunderstorm earlier this year and they blew me away. Can't wait to start digging into his novel length work. Hopefully, he has some good stuff to say today! The only "bad" part of the event will be dealing with the extreme heat on the drive over!
    Event was really fun! Fracassi read a little bit from Boys in the Valley and then did a Q&A session. Tried asking about his upcoming work, but he wasn't able to talk too much about it for contractual reasons. He stated that he just signed a contract for his next book which will be Sci-Fi with horror elements. He also stated that his next collection, No One Is Safe, comes out from Lethe press in November. I'm really hoping that it gets a quick hardcover or limited release soon after as I don't do paperbacks. Speaking of limited editions, he did state that a novel of his should be announced for pre-order any day, but he wouldn't name the publisher as he obviously doesn't want to spoil their announcement. I have my suspicions but am probably wrong. I also got to meet Paul Goblirsch, the owner/publisher of Thunderstorm books, at this event which I thought was pretty neat as I am a huge fan of their books. Overall, I'm very glad that I braved the heat and went to this event!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Ducking out of work a little early today to go see Phillips Fracassi speak at the Poisoned Pen Bookstore between 4-5pm. Am actually pretty excited for this. I picked-up up his two short story collections when they were offered by Thunderstorm earlier this year and they blew me away. Can't wait to start digging into his novel length work. Hopefully, he has some good stuff to say today! The only "bad" part of the event will be dealing with the extreme heat on the drive over!
    Sounds like a blast! Let us know how it goes!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    This weekend was the Denver Fan Expo which was for the part, not too bad. Some issues with how the convention is ran, but that's out of my control.

Went in with the plan to not spend stupid amounts of money, and shot that plan at the first artist I came across.

I may post some pics of some of the fun stuff we got (like a sweet Def Leppard concert poster featuring a kraken and Mount Tahoma for last year's Seattle show done by a guy from Lake Tapps of all places), but wanted to share a brief/funny interaction that you all might enjoy (considering the audience here).

Yesterday (Sunday), we were on our way out (I know my feet were killing me after being on them all day for three days), and as we were leaving, I see Stephen Graham Jones in line like regular people. I said "Oh yeah, it's Stephen Graham Jones! How are you?" And then a polite head nod and we were gone. He wasn't a guest this year, but he is local so it's kind of cool to see him out and about in the wild.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I guess, in short, I could just say, "I agree with Ron."
    I tell my wife that's always the best default...but she doesn't agree with me.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I'll join and say that I'm not a big fan of rebound editions nor of replica/replacement dustjackets. I can kind of understand the former if the rebound is done as a personal hobby, but I wouldn't buy someone else's rebound edition. Even the Dragon Rebound books don't interest me, though from the pictures I've seen, they are very well-crafted. I just don't understand those Overlook dustjackets at all. As for aftermarket traycases and slipcases, I view these as being completely different as they aren't modifying an actual part of the book and become more of a protective storage unit for it.

I guess, in short, I could just say, "I agree with Ron."

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Oh, absolutely...aftermarket slipcases are great. I have two or three as well, and find them a great way to add additional protection to the book within and add some aesthetic/visual appeal. But the book inside the slipcase remains the same, so no value is lost, no changes done according to the whims of the rebinder. Two different things, to my mind.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by mulleins View Post
    I am in agreement also.  I don't care for rebounds.  Now, I've designed some cool slipcases or traycases to house the first edition, but will stick with original releases.
    After-Market slipcases don't bother me at all, especially if the original release didn't have one.  I have picked-up many of the ones offered by CD in the past.

Leave a comment:

• mulleins
    replied
    I am in agreement also.  I don't care for rebounds.  Now, I've designed some cool slipcases or traycases to house the first edition, but will stick with original releases.

Leave a comment:

• jasonbarber
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post

Technically it doesn't end until the end of 2012 (aka the Mayan calendar doesn't go to 2013). However, we think that our copies of Dracula are on their way to us. I forgot to track the labels we sent for them to be shipped to us. So we'll hopefully have them soon.mini militia mod apk
    Sorry dan for posting little bit off topic in this thread, because it is necessary for you to acknowledge there is a bug or your post Approving system is weak.

Because few days ago when I registered this forum I made a post which is also include a quote of your post and it is still doesn't approve. ):
    Last edited by jasonbarber; 06-25-2023, 07:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    All of these rebounds popping up remind me of the Overlook's new dustjackets - not anything I'm interested in, and doesn't add any value to the book.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Rebounds hold zero appeal for me. With that said, there is certainly a spectrum of rebound quality...you have the Dragon Rebounds, and then you have folks who slap on new covers of varying quality on old page blocks. But regardless of who is doing it, they come across to me like craft projects, and I have zero interest in someone's craft project. Further, the entire appeal of first editions, of trying to get an edition that is as early and close as possible to the original decisions and preferences of the author and publisher, is lost when someone who has no affiliation with either author or publisher decides to remake the book according to their own whims. It also loses all edition integrity, i.e. it's not a first edition, nor is it a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. printing...it's something completely removed from the official history of the book.

In short, I really don't like them.
    That's pretty much where I land with them as well. I've also always wondered if there's any sort of copyright or legal issue. I'm assuming that the author or publisher isn't getting any sort of payment or royalties on rebound books.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Rebounds hold zero appeal for me. With that said, there is certainly a spectrum of rebound quality...you have the Dragon Rebounds, and then you have folks who slap on new covers of varying quality on old page blocks. But regardless of who is doing it, they come across to me like craft projects, and I have zero interest in someone's craft project. Further, the entire appeal of first editions, of trying to get an edition that is as early and close as possible to the original decisions and preferences of the author and publisher, is lost when someone who has no affiliation with either author or publisher decides to remake the book according to their own whims. It also loses all edition integrity, i.e. it's not a first edition, nor is it a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. printing...it's something completely removed from the official history of the book.

In short, I really don't like them.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Noticed in DRP's newsletter that they are offering an exclusive deluxe leather rebinding of IT limited to 100 copies. I don't need another copy of IT as I love my CD version; however, it did get me thinking about rebound books in general, especially when they are "limited" like DRP is doing with IT. Would love to hear other collector's opinions on the topic.
    For me, it depends on who's doing it and the production values. Would I sign up for a Dragon Rebound edition of Christine? Hell yeah. Would I sign up for anything offered by DRP? Sorry, but no, based on other people's past experience. Same goes for Gauntlet or Borderlands. 

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Noticed in DRP's newsletter that they are offering an exclusive deluxe leather rebinding of IT limited to 100 copies. I don't need another copy of IT as I love my CD version; however, it did get me thinking about rebound books in general, especially when they are "limited" like DRP is doing with IT. Would love to hear other collector's opinions on the topic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X