No announcement yet.

Tasty Libation Thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My review of the Rogue Distillery Dead Guy Whiskey truffle. This one is about as close to perfect that a truffle can get. With the initial bite you get the flavor of the whiskey but in a subtle way. The creamy chocolate flavor of the truffle blends in with the whiskey and at the end you get a slight alcohol warmness. Not sure this one can be beat. 5 of 5 stars.

Next up will be Bull Run Distillers Temperance Bourbon:
    Bull Run Temperance Bourbon.JPG

Comment

I really want to try some of Rogue's spirits, but they are quite a bit pricier for what I'm willing to spend at the moment. (Not sure if it's because of distributor mark ups or Rogue just has pricey spirits.) One day I know I'll splurge.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
        I really want to try some of Rogue's spirits, but they are quite a bit pricier for what I'm willing to spend at the moment. (Not sure if it's because of distributor mark ups or Rogue just has pricey spirits.) One day I know I'll splurge.
        In my view Rogue is overpriced. The Dead Guy Whiskey is comparable to Crown Royal but is priced 20% to 25% higher. The only time I have it is if I am in a bar that has them, fortunately that is not uncommon around here. I have also been to Rogue pubs in the area but their food options leave a lot to be desired.

Comment

I've never been much of a fan of Rogue ales, though I have yet to try any of their spirits. I've found their ales a bit bland and unnecessarily bitter (though I know that's sacrilege in this NW regional bastion of hop-lovers...I always count myself fortunate when I find a malt-heavy brown or Scottish ale among the long lists of IPAs).
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Since I'm now in Colorado, I don't see as many Oregon beers as I once did. As far as Oregon goes, I think Ninkasi is still my favorite of the bunch, but we have so many new Colorado beers to try that I rarely get any of the stuff I used to. In fact, I totally missed out on having any of Ninkasi's Sleigh'r this winter. For shame!

Craft spirits are always going to be higher than the mass produced stuff, so Rogue being pricier isn't a surprise. What is a surprise is seeing that a 750ml bottle of Dead Guy whiskey being $75 and higher.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
              Since I'm now in Colorado, I don't see as many Oregon beers as I once did. As far as Oregon goes, I think Ninkasi is still my favorite of the bunch, but we have so many new Colorado beers to try that I rarely get any of the stuff I used to. In fact, I totally missed out on having any of Ninkasi's Sleigh'r this winter. For shame!

Craft spirits are always going to be higher than the mass produced stuff, so Rogue being pricier isn't a surprise. What is a surprise is seeing that a 750ml bottle of Dead Guy whiskey being $75 and higher.
              $75 is a dramatic markup. Total Wine and More near me has it for $49.99. I have seen it for a little less at some other retailers. I mention this one because they may ship to Colorado if you are interested. Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey | Total Wine & More

I have tried two Ninkasi beers. They were so hop heavy it tasted like I was eating hops. I am not a big beer guy and these were not pleasant for me. No clue about their other offerings.

Comment

I can justify $50... but spirits are not eligible for shipping to Colorado. Damn.

Ninkasi has some really good stouts. If you like malty you should try their Sleigh’r. Definitely not hoppy.

Comment

Weird now it shows in stock at the Denver location for $40 ... may have to check the place I usually go to. Maybe I looked at the wrong price...

Comment

So I have had three more of the Moonstruck distillers truffles that have had not been interested in trying for a while. Decided to knock those out this week. First up was the Bull Run Distillers Temperance Bourbon.
                    I have never tried Bull Run before but will try it if I get a chance based on this one. Bourbon is my drink of choice and that is a good thing with this one. It is very Bourbon forward but not in a bad way. The first thing you taste is Bourbon and then the smooth chocolate settles in. The Bourbon flavor is strong but over powering and it never reaches the point of alcohol burn. Have to admit that I may like this one better than the Dead Guy Whiskey truffle. Easy 5 of 5 stars.

Next up will be Rose City Marionberry Vodka.
                    Bull Run Temperance Bourbon.JPG

Comment

Yum. Sounds good.
                      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

The Rose City Marionberry Vodka truffle is absolute perfection. First off if I did not know it had alcohol I would never have guessed that it contained any. Frist taste is an incredibly accurate marionberry flavor the the creamy chocolate comes into play. The only hint of alcohol is a very gentle warming in your mouth. There is no alcohol burn at all. Absolute 5 star!

Rose City Marionberry Vodka.JPG

I will finish with the Glacier Limoncello.

Comment

The marionberrry would’ve been my chosen favorite even before tasting any of them...good to hear my instincts would’ve been proven correct.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                            The marionberrry would’ve been my chosen favorite even before tasting any of them...good to hear my instincts would’ve been proven correct.
                            That one was fantastic!

The last one was my least favorite. The Glacier Limoncello had a strong alcohol flavor and a very distinct alcohol burn. Unfortunately the alcohol completely overpowers the lemon leaving just a hint of flavor. Only a 1 Star. At some point I am going to do this with either the Northwest Brewers Collection or the Willamette Valley Winery Collection. I have tried a couple of the wine truffes and they are very good. I have not yet tried any of the Brewers truffles. Neither of those have the artistry of the Distillers truffles.

Comment

Never heard of a marionberry. Learn something new everyday.
                              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                                Never heard of a marionberry. Learn something new everyday.
                                That is a valid point. I am not sure how accessible Marionberries are outside the Northwest. If I remember correctly it is a blackberry hybrid with multiple types of Blackberry and raspberry plants used to produce it. It was developed long ago at, I believe Oregon State University, and is named for the county most of them were grown. It is basically a large blackberry with a sweeter taste and a hint of raspberry. They have a relatively short season but I buy them whenever they are available fresh.

Comment

Working...
                                X