Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am ashamed to say that I have not yet read......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Hocker
    replied
    Originally posted by TerryE View Post
    Animal Farm and The Old Man and the Sea were required reading for me in high school English and both very good. And you could read Old Man in a single sitting.
    I think I remember reading Animal Farm in high school as well (maybe middle school, can't remember). I also had to read The Jungle, Watership Down, and All Quiet on the Western Front. All books that I probably never would have read if I didn't have to, but once read I feel like they are probably books everyone should read at some point in their life.

Leave a comment:

• TerryE
    replied
    Animal Farm and The Old Man and the Sea were required reading for me in high school English and both very good. And you could read Old Man in a single sitting.

Leave a comment:

• theenormityofitall
    replied
    I should look over this forum more. I've noticed I've had no idea several dozen threads even existed.
    Books I'm ashamed of not having read:
    I can't say Dracula because I don't like vampire books/movies.

But here are some:
    1. Animal Farm (I did read 1984).

2. The Naked and The Dead

3. A Christmas Carol and David Copperfield

4. Red, by Ketchum even though I'm a big fan of his

5. The Old Man and the Sea

6. Too damn many to list. But I'm also ashamed that even with novels I really like, I finish 90-95% of them sometimes then put it aside to try and finish later, or purposely forget about it and store it away for a non-fiction book.

Leave a comment:

• RJK1981
    replied
    Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll have to try and find those somewhere and start from there...
    You could probably find the paperback editions of these for cheap at a used book store like Half Priced Books or at places like Amazon or eBay

Leave a comment:

• RJK1981
    replied
    Originally posted by jester05jk View Post
    You can't start with The Woman. As the man once told me, start with the first, his first and go from there. Off Season, Offspring, The Woman. All very good.
    Thanks for the tip. When this was announced I had no idea it was something following another book (or 2 books as the case is), but had heard somewhere that it followed these books. Good to hear for sure that it is so I don't read it right away when the CD edition ships, unless I get Offspring and read that and Off Season by then

Leave a comment:

• HorrorScribe
    replied
    My only saving grace as a former English major is that I'm unofficially starting a Masters of Arts in English degree this fall. My first course is Literature of the Renaissance, so I finally got around to reading Machiavelli's The Prince (a book I've always been very curious about) as well as a more thorough look at More's Utopia. Perhaps once I've earned this new degree, I can lessen my shame a bit as I may become a little less adverse to use my "pleasure" reading time solely toward contemporary fiction. Of course, that's what i thought as an undergrad...

Leave a comment:

• peteOcha
    replied
    Originally posted by jester05jk View Post
    You can't start with The Woman. As the man once told me, start with the first, his first and go from there. Off Season, Offspring, The Woman. All very good.
    Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll have to try and find those somewhere and start from there...

Leave a comment:

• jester05jk
    replied
    Ok, ok...

Here's one from the classics: ...wait for it....

"To Kill a Mocking Bird"

From the horror pool, nothing (YET) by the following:

Lovecraft
    Bentley Little
    Jack Ketchum (i really want to pick up "The Woman")

and probably several more, but those are the big names that first come to mind.

...Let he cast the first stone who is without fault. :P

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    Edward Gibbon's THE DECLINE AND FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE.

Now that I was reminded, I just bought all six volumes on Kindle for under $10. Not bad! It will take a long time to get through them, but I've always wanted to read it.

I read many of the classics when I was a kid. My grandparents had a big old bookcase full of books going back generations, and there were books going back to the late 1600s. I'm sure some of the classics were first editions, which meant nothing to me then. Many of them were old enough that the 's' looked like an 'f', and it was cool to see names and dates of owners from the 1800s.
    Years ago, I bought the 8-vol. set of TFotRE from The Folio Society and it's still gathering dust on my shelf. But housed in 2 slipcases, it makes great bookends!

It's not on my TBR list anymore, but...we'll see.

And no ones casting stones, Pete. Not big ones anyway! Pebbles, maybe!

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied

Lovecraft
    You really should tacke Lovecraft!
    From cosmic horror to the Necronomicon, the Cthulhu mythos cycle - plus opne of King's biggest influences: simply the best.

sk

Leave a comment:

• peteOcha
    replied
    Ok, ok...

Here's one from the classics: ...wait for it....

"To Kill a Mocking Bird"

Lovecraft
    Bentley Little
    Jack Ketchum (i really want to pick up "The Woman")

and probably several more, but those are the big names that first come to mind.

...Let he cast the first stone who is without fault. :P

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Edward Gibbon's THE DECLINE AND FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE.

Now that I was reminded, I just bought all six volumes on Kindle for under $10. Not bad! It will take a long time to get through them, but I've always wanted to read it.

I read many of the classics when I was a kid. My grandparents had a big old bookcase full of books going back generations, and there were books going back to the late 1600s. I'm sure some of the classics were first editions, which meant nothing to me then. Many of them were old enough that the 's' looked like an 'f', and it was cool to see names and dates of owners from the 1800s.

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    Pete.....we're waitng...

And no Shakespeare, Siep?!?!?!?!?! Never too late to start, tho. I had read about 10 of his plays before even discovering King in1981.

Of course, I could fill many pages with the dark fantasy/horror/suspense books I've never read (especially the one discussed here--some of the authors i've never heard of!)

Leave a comment:

• frik51
    replied
    I won't post mine... When I started thinking about what I haven't read yet, the shame became too hard to bear.
    Oh come on, post away, Pete.
    I never read Shakespeare (for instance) till last year...Couldn't get my degree without having him on my list...

sk

Leave a comment:

• peteOcha
    replied
    I won't post mine... When I started thinking about what I haven't read yet, the shame became too hard to bear.

Add another English major to the list here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X