• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post

I love The Passage.

I’d rate the trilogy as my all-time favorite read.

Well developed characters, great action, and an incredible story arc told over 2,000+ pages.

Hopefully you’ll finish the trilogy, as I found the ending to be such a satisfying conclusion to this epic story. Typical of Cronin, the ending was both depressing and hopeful.

B
    Thanks for sharing your praise for the trilogy. It's got me pumped up to continue on. And I am very committed to finishing this trilogy this time, darn it! I'm actually starting the second book today with plans to finish this month. I typically like to get through books faster, but I'm hitting some of my upper division English literature classes and the amount of reading they pile on takes up quite a bit of my time. I plan on taking October off from the trilogy and doing some more ghostly readings for Halloween and then back on to the final book in November. Fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading Lost Man's Lane" by Scott Carson. Cannot recommend this book enough, especially if you're in the mood for a coming-of-age novel rather than full-on horror. Seems like every horror writer pens a coming-of-age book eventually, and Carson's/Kortya's is top-notch. Boy did the characters feel real to me, and while the main character was enjoyable enough, it's the supporting cast that truly shines in this book. Pretty much loved them all. Definitely looking forward to the next Carson book as they seem to keep getting better and better.

Am going to read Rio Youers " No Second Chances" next. Has been in my TBR pile for a while and I think I'm finally ready to dig-in. I've pretty much loved everything that I've read by Youers; so, I've got high hopes for this one.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I finished reading The Passage by Justin Cronin for the third time. It took me a while to get through, not just due to its length nor was it due to not being engaged with the book, but rather that I forgot just how dense Cronin's writing is. I have truly enjoyed this book each time that I've read it and even don't mind the time jump that the book takes, a significant hang-up I had the first time around as I was so invested in that first section--almost a kind of 300 page prologue--of the book. The richness of the world(s) that Cronin builds coupled with the careful attention to the various character arcs and subplots lend to the book's epic nature.

I have am terrible at finishing book series, though, and this will be my third attempt at finishing the trilogy. On each previous attempt, I've waited so long between one book and the next that I felt the need to start over. The first attempt stalled between the first and second book and the second attempt stalled between the second and third book. So I'm making progress and maybe this time I'll actually finish it. That being said, I still am slotting a different book to read between each one just for a breather, so I could still be tempting fate.
    I love The Passage.

I’d rate the trilogy as my all-time favorite read.

Well developed characters, great action, and an incredible story arc told over 2,000+ pages.

Hopefully you’ll finish the trilogy, as I found the ending to be such a satisfying conclusion to this epic story. Typical of Cronin, the ending was both depressing and hopeful.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    In my annual summer reading slump.

Finally finished A Bright and Beautiful Eternal World by James Chambers, an excellent collection of modern Lovecraftian fiction.

It’s the best thing I’ve ever read by Chambers (just edging out Engines of Sacrifice, another excellent collection of Lovecraftian fiction) and one of the best books I’ve read this year.

Moving on to A Child Alone With Strangers. Hoping that Fracassi can get me out of my reading slump!

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading Michael Koryta's "An Honest Man". I've been a Koryta fan since pretty much day one, and I've got to agree with others and say this might be his best book. Pretty much everything about it worked for me. Highly recommended!

Since I was so happy with the last read, I've decided to read "Lost Man's Lane" by Scott Carson next. Been sitting in my tbr pile a while.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Nice, Ron! Couldn't happen to a nicer, or more knowledgeable, guy. Now let the guessing begin as to what book it is, lol.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I'll second sholloman's congratulations on both the move but also this awesome news. I'd say you're being rather humble with saying that it's "kinda cool." I think it's pretty darn awesome. Looking forward to hearing more about when you're able to divulge more.
    I appreciate that, and, you bet, I certainly will. I will say, if I can remove my hat of humility for a moment, that it’s a major small press, not micro press or indie, so I do feel good about that. Also feel some pressure, as I know I need to bring my top game to bat, but nothing good in life is easy, right?

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    First up will be a book for which I’ve been asked to write an introduction — my first such project, which is kinda cool.
    I'll second sholloman's congratulations on both the move but also this awesome news. I'd say you're being rather humble with saying that it's "kinda cool." I think it's pretty darn awesome. Looking forward to hearing more about when you're able to divulge more.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Congrats on the move and the book into. Very cool news indeed!
    Thanks on both counts.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    I haven’t read anything in, probably, a month. A home move several states away has kept me extraordinarily distracted and busy. But we finally settled in our new place a week ago, and I hope after another week yet of Getting Stuff Done I’ll turn my attention back to reading.
    First up will be a book for which I’ve been asked to write an introduction — my first such project, which is kinda cool.
    Congrats on the move and the book into. Very cool news indeed!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I haven’t read anything in, probably, a month. A home move several states away has kept me extraordinarily distracted and busy. But we finally settled in our new place a week ago, and I hope after another week yet of Getting Stuff Done I’ll turn my attention back to reading.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    My new job, and new hours, have made reading very difficult. I've slowly been making my way through Basil Copper's SOLAR PONS OMNIBUS, VOLUME ONE, which is a fun Sherlock Holmes pastiche. I erroneously bought this thinking Pons was a supernatural detective (He isn't), so I doubt I'll be returning for the other two volumes. If I want Holmes, I'll read Holmes.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading Ray Nayler's "The Mountain in the Sea". Glad to have read it, but not sure that I would ever revisit it. In fact, If I'm being honest, I was very close to DNF'ing it multiple times but untimely stuck with it until the end as it does have lots of interesting intellectual and philosophical ideas regarding what first contact/communicating with other intelligent species might look like. It kind of reminded me of the movie Arrival (the one with Amy Adams, not Charlie Sheen); however, unlike Arrival, this book was mostly boring and just not that fun in terms of plot or character. Felt like more of an "ideas" book than a story. That being said, I'm sure that I'll be think about a lot of the ideas in this book for quite a while which may have been the author's point more so than entertainment.

Am now reading Michael Koryta's "An Honest Man". I'm a big fan of pretty much everything Koryta has written so far; so, I have high hopes for this one, especially with the strength of the SK blurb.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I finished reading The Passage by Justin Cronin for the third time. It took me a while to get through, not just due to its length nor was it due to not being engaged with the book, but rather that I forgot just how dense Cronin's writing is. I have truly enjoyed this book each time that I've read it and even don't mind the time jump that the book takes, a significant hang-up I had the first time around as I was so invested in that first section--almost a kind of 300 page prologue--of the book. The richness of the world(s) that Cronin builds coupled with the careful attention to the various character arcs and subplots lend to the book's epic nature.

I have am terrible at finishing book series, though, and this will be my third attempt at finishing the trilogy. On each previous attempt, I've waited so long between one book and the next that I felt the need to start over. The first attempt stalled between the first and second book and the second attempt stalled between the second and third book. So I'm making progress and maybe this time I'll actually finish it. That being said, I still am slotting a different book to read between each one just for a breather, so I could still be tempting fate.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished reading the SST LE of Joe Lansdale's "The Donut Legion". Liked it but didn't love it. Has a fun cast of characters and you get Lansdale's usual solid writing and colorful turns of phrase, but for me, the story ultimately felt a little flat by the end, at least by Lansdale standards . . . Overall, I'm glad to have read this book and would give it a C+ as it is better than average, just not quite as good as I was expecting.
    Perfectly said.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X