X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished the SST limited of Stephen Graham Jones' "The Only Good Indians". Really enjoyed this book. It began a little slow, but it picked up around the quarter mark and never let up. Great characterization, fantastic dialogue, and a very literary style. It also has one of the better endings that I have read in quite awhile. Would recommend this one very highly to those of you who haven't read it yet.
    I have avoided this story due to the fact that the other works I have read from this author failed me. I may try it at some point.

I am about 100 pages into Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Really enjoying it so far.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished the SST limited of Stephen Graham Jones' "The Only Good Indians". Really enjoyed this book. It began a little slow, but it picked up around the quarter mark and never let up. Great characterization, fantastic dialogue, and a very literary style. It also has one of the better endings that I have read in quite awhile. Would recommend this one very highly to those of you who haven't read it yet.

Leave a comment:

• c marvel
    replied
    I finished reading The Fair Grounds by Tobias Seamon and a Dollar Double sleaze consisting of The Sherwood Scandal by March Hastings/Oh, Sweet And Gentle Harlot by Nancy Dean as told to Jack Powers. Now I'm reading Antioch by Jessica Leonard.

Cap

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post

Rust Maidens is another really great book. I loved it
    Agreed. I really liked The Rust Maidens a lot.

After finishing The Rust Maidens, started Weird Women: Classic Supernatural Fiction by Groundbreaking Female Writers: 1852 - 1923 ed. by Lisa Morton & Leslie Klinger.

It hasn't grabbed me like their classic ghost story anthology from a few years back, but only 3 or 4 stories in so far.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    It's women of horror month so that has been my focus this month.
    Lots of great women writing horror and thriller fiction .
    Didn't realize that it is currently Women in Horror month until I saw the article that CD posted today (Mother Horror's Top Twenty Indie Horror Books Written by Women). In the past, I have enjoyed almost all of Mother Horror's reading recommendations; so, I was very excited to see this post. After reading it, I went online and purchased "The Bone Weaver's Orchard" by Sarah Read. Have never read anything by this author but the synopsis sounded good; so, I've decided to give it a go. A lot of the other titles mentioned sounded very cool as well. My only complaint is that it looks like a majority of them are paperback only (so far) releases and I don't purchase paperbacks anymore. I much prefer hardcovers at this point in my reading/collecting although I know that it has caused me to miss out on some very good authors/tittles (for example, am still bummed that Andy Davidson's "The Boatman's Daughter" is a paperback exclusive).

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    I’m currently reading When Darkness Loves Us by Elizabeth Engstrom
    also White Pines by Gemma Amor
    and a long overdue reread of Frankenstein
    It’s women of horror month so that has been my focus this month
    I just finished The Girls by Emma Cline and gave it 4 stars
    malls finished We Did Everything Wrong by C.V.Hunt also 4 stars.
    Lots of great women writing horror and thriller fiction .

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Finished Phantom Limbs by Margo Lanagan.

Liked the first half of the collection a good bit. Thought the second half was quite a bit weaker.

Started The Rust Maidens by Gwendolyn Kiste las night.

75 pages in & liking it a lot.

So far I really like her style of writing. The story just seems to flow, even though at this point (nearly 1/3 in) very little has actually happened.

B
    Rust Maidens is another really great book. I loved it

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished "Westlake Soul" by Rio Youers. First time reading this novel and was completely blown away. A masterclass in storytelling and characterization. Don't remember ever feeling so emotional while reading a book before. There were times where I literally had to will myself not to cry. I know that this book wasn't for everyone on the forum, but for me, this novel was perfection. Definitely a book I will be recommending to everyone who asks for an amazing read.
    The very reasons I was so excited for a limited edition of this book. One of the best

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    I think I read SNOWBLIND when it was first released, Ron. Having just turned 50, I have almost no recollection of it, aside from people being chased by the monsters. Martin said it all...the joys of getting old, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

There was a sequel -- SNOWBLIND II: THE KILLING GROUNDS -- but I didn't read that one and have no idea if it also involves Bigfoot creatures.
    Did not even realize there was a sequel. Or I did and I forgot, hell Snowblind had dropped off my radar. The joys of getting old. You can hide your own Easter eggs.

Leave a comment:

• kresby
    replied

There was a sequel -- SNOWBLIND II: THE KILLING GROUNDS -- but I didn't read that one and have no idea if it also involves Bigfoot creatures.
    I read this and it is a bigfoot romp. Loved it.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

I had this one on my radar at one point but lost track of it. Thanks for the reminder.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

Michael McBride wrote a pretty good one called SNOWBLIND.
    I had this one on my radar at one point but lost track of it. Thanks for the reminder.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished Phantom Limbs by Margo Lanagan.

Liked the first half of the collection a good bit. Thought the second half was quite a bit weaker.

Started The Rust Maidens by Gwendolyn Kiste las night.

75 pages in & liking it a lot.

So far I really like her style of writing. The story just seems to flow, even though at this point (nearly 1/3 in) very little has actually happened.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

That was one of my favorite reads last year! If done right it would be a fantastic movie.
    Easily my favorite read in 2020.

Would love to see a movie version, but I agree, no way it could approach the book

B

Leave a comment:

Working...
X