X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    I'm flipping back and forth between two different versions of Kim Newman's ANNO DRACULA- An e-book, and the newer signed anniversary hardcover, which has chapter annotations. I'm six chapters in, and Newman is introducing characters and concepts so hot and heavy that I'm taking my time reading, trying to absorb it all.

Also reading SURELY YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS: THE TRUE STORY OF AIRPLANE, which has way too much information about pre-Airplane stuff. I'm 40% in, and they JUST got to the writing of the screenplay. And I'm rereading Rick Yancey's THE MONSTRUMOLOGIST, in anticipation of reading the rest of the series for the first time.
    I read Anno Dracula last year and really enjoyed it.

Newman’s literary and cinematic knowledge of the horror genre is beyond impressive.

B

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    I'm flipping back and forth between two different versions of Kim Newman's ANNO DRACULA- An e-book, and the newer signed anniversary hardcover, which has chapter annotations. I'm six chapters in, and Newman is introducing characters and concepts so hot and heavy that I'm taking my time reading, trying to absorb it all.

Also reading SURELY YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS: THE TRUE STORY OF AIRPLANE, which has way too much information about pre-Airplane stuff. I'm 40% in, and they JUST got to the writing of the screenplay. And I'm rereading Rick Yancey's THE MONSTRUMOLOGIST, in anticipation of reading the rest of the series for the first time.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Currently about half way through American Gods by Neil Gaiman. 

So far, it’s an interesting enough story, though at times I do wish Gaiman would pick up the pace.

Reminds me of early Clive Barker.

B

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

CITY OF SECRETS was a rare O'Nan story in which I couldn't connect with the characters, I simply did not care about anyone in the story. If you haven't yet read his non-fiction book THE CIRCUS FIRE I highly recommend it. Well woven story about a little-known American tragedy. 
    THE CIRCUS FIRE was actually my first book by him… after that, I went back and read his backlist and have stayed with him ever since.. Agreed, a fascinating story well told.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Martin , CITY OF SECRETS is the one of his I haven’t read (now that I have OCEAN STATE behind me).  sholloman81 , hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
    CITY OF SECRETS was a rare O'Nan story in which I couldn't connect with the characters, I simply did not care about anyone in the story. If you haven't yet read his non-fiction book THE CIRCUS FIRE I highly recommend it. Well woven story about a little-known American tragedy. 

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Martin , CITY OF SECRETS is the one of his I haven’t read (now that I have OCEAN STATE behind me).  sholloman81 , hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied

Same — both are stunningly good, though I’d probably give the nod to THE SPEED QUEEN, especially for a deluxe edition from a small press, just seems more suitable with its more overt crime/noir construct.

Martin , well said. Funny, I almost gave OCEAN STATE a permanent pass because its advertised examination of the lives of four women, which made it sound like a feminist pop-fiction novel…nothing wrong with that, just not typically my thing. I could not been more wrong and should have known better, trusted more in O’Nan’s skill to present a story that’s relevant to anyone. The echoes of this book, finished two days ago, and those four women’s lives still linger in my mind. Just a stunning work.
    I've been passing on Ocean State for exactly the reason you mention. After reading your review, I think I'm going to tap out and order it this weekend. May also order All the Colors of the Dark by Chris Whitaker as that review on the CD Free Reads page sounds fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied

Same — both are stunningly good, though I’d probably give the nod to THE SPEED QUEEN, especially for a deluxe edition from a small press, just seems more suitable with its more overt crime/noir construct.

Martin , well said. Funny, I almost gave OCEAN STATE a permanent pass because its advertised examination of the lives of four women, which made it sound like a feminist pop-fiction novel…nothing wrong with that, just not typically my thing. I could not been more wrong and should have known better, trusted more in O’Nan’s skill to present a story that’s relevant to anyone. The echoes of this book, finished two days ago, and those four women’s lives still linger in my mind. Just a stunning work.
    O'Nan is one author that I do not read about the book I just buy it and give it a read. Does not always pay off. I did not care for CITY OF SECRETS but it usually pays off.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Either of those books would make me very happy!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

Those two books are polar opposites, but both are fantastic reads. I second your recommendation on O'Nan. I will type out the first paragraph of OCEAN STATE here. That into sets a tone that never lets up.
    First paragraph from OCEAN STATE:
    "When I was in eighth grade my sister helped another girl. She was in love, my mother said, like it was an excuse, she didn't know what she was doing. I had never been in love then, not really, so I didn't know what my mother meant, but I do now."

I have said before that, for me, reading O'Nan feels like I am watching people live their lives. His characters are so relatable and real to me.

I am also excited to learn what the next O'Nan title from Lividian will be. I am hoping for SONGS FOR THE MISSING but think it might be THE SPEED QUEEN.
    Either of those books would make me very happy!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Just finished two of the better books I've read in a while, after being in a bit of a reading rut of meh material: BLOOD AND LEMONADE by Joe Lansdale (the SST S/L HC) and OCEAN STATE by Stewart O'Nan. The latter was dark and emotionally taut with characters of the most honest kind, and rich with allusive imagery & mournful subtext, the kind of book that reminds you why you read in the first place. My contemporary/popular literature picks these days are Peter Heller, Willy Vlautin, and Stewart O'Nan, and OCEAN STATE shows O'Nan at the peak of his poignant power. Highly recommended.
    Those two books are polar opposites, but both are fantastic reads. I second your recommendation on O'Nan. I will type out the first paragraph of OCEAN STATE here. That into sets a tone that never lets up.
    First paragraph from OCEAN STATE:
    "When I was in eighth grade my sister helped another girl. She was in love, my mother said, like it was an excuse, she didn't know what she was doing. I had never been in love then, not really, so I didn't know what my mother meant, but I do now."

I have said before that, for me, reading O'Nan feels like I am watching people live their lives. His characters are so relatable and real to me.

I am also excited to learn what the next O'Nan title from Lividian will be. I am hoping for SONGS FOR THE MISSING but think it might be THE SPEED QUEEN.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Just finished two of the better books I've read in a while, after being in a bit of a reading rut of meh material: BLOOD AND LEMONADE by Joe Lansdale (the SST S/L HC) and OCEAN STATE by Stewart O'Nan. The latter was dark and emotionally taut with characters of the most honest kind, and rich with allusive imagery & mournful subtext, the kind of book that reminds you why you read in the first place. My contemporary/popular literature picks these days are Peter Heller, Willy Vlautin, and Stewart O'Nan, and OCEAN STATE shows O'Nan at the peak of his poignant power. Highly recommended.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Tim Meyers's "Pteranodon Canyon". The book was exactly what I was hoping for when I read the description, just some straightforward Old West Gunslinging-Dino action! Nothing groundbreaking about this book, but it was tons of fun nonetheless. Have never read anything by this author previously but would read another of his books based on the strength of this one. Would love to see this book as a movie but probably wouldn't happen due to the cost of the effects. Overall, glad to have added this to my Thunderstorm collection.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE Neon Recluse of John Wayne Comunale's "Electric City's Neon Infection". Have only read one book by this author previously but did enjoy it; so, I have some hopes for this one. That being said, I'm going into this book blind. Also noticed this book has no reviews online.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading Kristopher Triana's "The Old Lady". I can't believe how good a read this book was! I'm a very big Triana fan and this is definitely the best thing that he has written so far. Such a brutal story filled with real characters and real consequences. Plotwise, think "First Blood" but written by Jack Ketchum instead of David Morrell. This story will be sticking with me for a while for sure!

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Tim Meyers's "Pteranodon Canyon". Have never read anything by this author, but the book sounds like lots of fun which I could use after my last read above.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Edward Lee's "Mr. Tilling's Basement & Other Stories". If you're an Edward Lee fan, then you'll love this one as it's everything that you hope for with his books. Each novella was a blast, some truly horrific stuff mixed with the blackest of humor and eroticism. I was also over the moon to find that a couple of the novellas tie into Lee's City Infernal books which I always found to be lots of fun. I recently read the Thunderstorm version of Lee's "The Television" and generally disliked it. Mr. Tilling's Basement & Other Stories definitely was a return to form IMO. Glad to have this one in my Thunderstorm/Lee collection!

Am now reading Kristopher Triana's "The Old Lady". I have high hopes for this one as I'm a big Triana fan and get Jack Ketchum vibes when reading the description.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X