No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am listening to the latest Terry Brooks book right now, The High Druid's Blade, and I have to say so far I am a little disappointed. It started off pretty good, and seemed to be going another direction than the previous ones in the world, but then they introduced the villain and started to explain his purpose and now I'm just feeling like he's created his own sort of Trope and keeps falling back on it. I think I'm gonna have to put the book down and maybe come back to it later when the previous books set in the world aren't so fresh in my head.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

You have to wonder how many books you can do in the same world and keep it fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
        You have to wonder how many books you can do in the same world and keep it fresh.
        I may also be a bit jaded from my Shannara marathon as well. I'm sure they where never meant to be experienced back to back like that. At this point though I'll probably wait for the other two books in this set to come out before trying again.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I am reading Tim Waggoner's The Harmony Society....... it is one of those books that messes with your head in a way, but in a good way.

Comment

Gave Rage by Steve Gerlach at shot. Yeah...I quit about a third of the way through. Not really my cup of tea. Currently working on American Morons by Glen Hirshberg.

Comment

Finished Haruki Murakami's "Colorless Tsukuri Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage." Wow. One of the best books I've read in a while (perhaps because I saw a lot of myself in the protagonist). I normally don't go for novels without a lot of dialogue, but Mr. M does it quite well.

Comment

The Harmony Society.....hard to describe..... sure makes your mind work!!!! Enjoyed it.

Now, I am tearing The Summer I Died. almost 1/2 way through on my Kobo........ all I can say is - WOW! Intense!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                  The Harmony Society.....hard to describe..... sure makes your mind work!!!! Enjoyed it.

Now, I am tearing The Summer I Died. almost 1/2 way through on my Kobo........ all I can say is - WOW! Intense!!!!
                  Yeah, The Summer I Died is pretty brutal! I still have the sequel, Born to Bleed, in my TBR pile. Thanks for the reminder!
                  Last edited by Dan Hocker; 10-31-2014, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Finished Brood of the Witch-Queen and I loved it. In his short fictions, he seems to be debunking the supernatural natural by finding logical explanations for the weird happenings, and the novel BotWQ suffers from a character who knows what is going on, but chooses to reveal the truth as he sees fit. Regardless, all the selections are pulpy, scary, and very readable.

Next is The Northern Star: Civil War, the sequel to one of my first GR wins back in 2012. But it's an ebook and I'm having trouble just getting started on it....

But it will be put to the side on Nov. 11!
                    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I am now reading a recent win from tor.com - an ARC of a sci-fi short story collection, edited by Ben Bova and Eric Choi that is called Carbide Tipped Pens. The first story was very haunting (at least for me it was). At times, sci-fi can be scarier than horror.

Comment

R.S. Belcher's Weird Western, The Six-gun Tarot. Fifty pages in and moving along.
                        MDH

Comment

Finally got around to reading Derelicition by Ray Garton. One of the worst stories I've read in a long time. (Of course, there was that Straub story in Turn Down the Lights....but I digress). I know Garton can write, because The Loveliest Dead was outstanding. This one was awful.

Oh, well. That's life, I guess.

Anyway, I started the ARC of Vacation by Matthew Costello today. Couldn't wait any longer for the S/L.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Dereliction is in my TBR pile, Sounds like I do not need to hurry on it. I thoroughly enjoyed Vacation.

I am currently reading Dark Screams Volume One

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                            Finally got around to reading Derelicition by Ray Garton. One of the worst stories I've read in a long time. (Of course, there was that Straub story in Turn Down the Lights....but I digress). I know Garton can write, because The Loveliest Dead was outstanding. This one was awful.

Oh, well. That's life, I guess.

Anyway, I started the ARC of Vacation by Matthew Costello today. Couldn't wait any longer for the S/L.

Comment

Just started Anne Rice's Prince Lestat. Not really sure how I feel about it yet. The first couple of chapters have been catching up with Lestat, recapping his various adventures and touching on what he's done since the last Vampire Chronicle. Definitely curious about where things are going.

Comment

I just hope it doesn't totally suck. I haven't read them since Memnoch, but I am planning on reading PL

Comment

Working...
                                X