No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Brian put it best with World War Z. Max Brooks found a way to write a Zombie Collection without calling it a collection. So if you go into it thinking you're getting a novel you will probably be disappointed, but if you go into thinking of it as a short story collection you'll probably like it more.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I couldn't finish the Caspak Trilogy by Edgar Rice Burroughs - the first story (The Land That Time Forgot) was a very good read, exciting, good flow, decent characters. The second one though - The People That Time Forgot - it started off pretty good, but there was way too much time spent on the main characters obsessions with the "native" Caspakian woman he came upon. Killed it for me, so I left it. May come back one day, but time to move on.

Had a few minutes before bed and started Underneath by Kealan Patrick Burke. This will be finished off today, and as usual, it is enjoyable right from the get go.
      Last edited by TJCams; 06-24-2013, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I understood that World War Z is a collection of stories about the Zombie war and understood that going in. I am enjoying it but feel it would be better suited if each story was given more time to develop.
        Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
        I think Brian put it best with World War Z. Max Brooks found a way to write a Zombie Collection without calling it a collection. So if you go into it thinking you're getting a novel you will probably be disappointed, but if you go into thinking of it as a short story collection you'll probably like it more.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          I understood that World War Z is a collection of stories about the Zombie war and understood that going in. I am enjoying it but feel it would be better suited if each story was given more time to develop.
          Yea I was mostly iterating for anyone who hasn't read it / doesn't know much about it. It's a tricky marketing thing they did with it, because if they labeled it as a collection it probably wouldn't have sold nearly as well as it did, as there's some kinda stigma that comes with collections for some reason.

Instagram

Comment

Makes you wonder why though. I mean some of the better books I have read, have been collections of short stories, either in paper form, or even on my Kobo.

I think collections are great!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
              Makes you wonder why though. I mean some of the better books I have read, have been collections of short stories, either in paper form, or even on my Kobo.

I think collections are great!!!
              Yea I'm not sure, I just think the general populous prefers a Novel. Also it puts it on different lists than if it where labeled as a collection so it gets more visibility or something along those lines.

Instagram

Comment

Marketing can be interesting, and oddly frustrating.

I just finished off Dean Koontz's Demon Seed. This is an early book in Koontz's catalog, it was originally published in 1973, then when a film was made it was re-printed in '77 for the last time. Later Koontz rewrote the book and released the new version. I was reading the original version. It's the story of a woman who is trapped inside her automated house which has gained sentience and is developing a personality. Ultimately the sentient computer that is her house is trying to impregnate her so that the machine can transfer it's consciousness to a living vessel. Pretty cool book, great concept, but at times it falls flat, and seems to go back scenes of robo-rape repetitively. It's a short read though so anything that may get annoying doesn't last long. I dig it.

Comment

You review brings back memories, I watched the movie years ago when I was a teenager (can't remember if I read the book or not). It was an interesting movie then; I need to find it and see if it holds up.

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                  Marketing can be interesting, and oddly frustrating.

I just finished off Dean Koontz's Demon Seed. This is an early book in Koontz's catalog, it was originally published in 1973, then when a film was made it was re-printed in '77 for the last time. Later Koontz rewrote the book and released the new version. I was reading the original version. It's the story of a woman who is trapped inside her automated house which has gained sentience and is developing a personality. Ultimately the sentient computer that is her house is trying to impregnate her so that the machine can transfer it's consciousness to a living vessel. Pretty cool book, great concept, but at times it falls flat, and seems to go back scenes of robo-rape repetitively. It's a short read though so anything that may get annoying doesn't last long. I dig it.

Comment

Just started Swamplandia! by Karen Russell
                    http://www.facebook.com/michaelmcintyre333
                    http://twitter.com/#!/mikemcintyre3
                    http://luminescentyou.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just started on Locke and Key vol I. Been meaning to pick it up for quite some time now.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRoland View Post
                        Just started Swamplandia! by Karen Russell
                        Interested to hear your thoughts on this one!
                        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Finally got my copy of "Ocean at the End of the Lane". Great start.
                          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I just finished Underneath by Kealan Patrick Burke. Very fun, at times disturbing, short e-read on the Kobo.

Up next - may jump into Hyperion, or one of the many Kobo e-books that keep adding up on my Kobo.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                              Finally got my copy of "Ocean at the End of the Lane". Great start.
                              My wife and I got ours last week at one of Neil's signings. Now I have to wait because she wants to read it first....

Comment

Trying Blue Canoe by T. M. Wright. It's one of the novellas I picked up from PS last year in their grab bags. Has anyone read this? It's keeping me interested, but a little strange.

Comment

Working...
                                X