No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you don't mind me answering your question. I read Bethany's Sin decades ago and it didn't really make much of an impression: when I started to read it again last week - I couldn't remember a single thing about it. But, I was pleasantly surprised. Although not half as good as McCammon's later works - and boy, with his Matthew Corbett series McCammon really struck gold - it was an enjopyable read. Granted, it's predictable, and the characters remain rather flat, but it's a much better book than I remember - or rather, didn't remember!

I'm about to start The Providence Rider.

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
      Hope you don't mind me answering your question. I read Bethany's Sin decades ago and it didn't really make much of an impression: when I started to read it again last week - I couldn't remember a single thing about it. But, I was pleasantly surprised. Although not half as good as McCammon's later works - and boy, with his Matthew Corbett series McCammon really struck gold - it was an enjopyable read. Granted, it's predictable, and the characters remain rather flat, but it's a much better book than I remember - or rather, didn't remember!

sk
      I don't mind at all, thank you for answering me! I will be starting that series soon, looks very promising!

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post

sk
        Frik, I totally agree with what you wrote. It was fun, but a little predictable. I thought it was better than Baal, but not nearly as good as his Matthew Corbett books. I'm slowly working my way through as many of McCammon books as I can. I have The Night Boat and I Travel By Night on order, and still have to read The Providence Rider. The other McCammons I've read are Boys Life and The Wolf's Hour, which both were fantastic.

Comment

I'm about half through Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Though not a long book, it's taking me a long time to get through it. I've not been bored with it and I'm curious how it ends. I guess things have just been popping up and haven't had as much time to devote to it.

Comment

Done with Sacrifice and on to Ketchum's Off Season.

Comment

I finally finished reading John Dies at the End. It was a damn enjoyable, rather strange, book. It's the story of two supernatural investigators (though they probably wouldn't call themselves that), David and John, and how they ended up in that line of work. JDatE is separated into two segments, Book 1 and Book 2. Book 1 is an introduction to our heroes and how they got in the biz. At times it comes off a little amateurish or "try-hard", but the story works and can be damn funny at times, and honestly it's hard not to love Dave and John. By the second segment the author has come into his own style, he manages to keep the over the top zaniness of part 1, but adds more otherworldly horrific imagery (ala Lovecraft) and more character development. It's a fun ride, reading about John and David coping with the insanity that faces them. Overall an impressive first book.

Originally posted by Neiaushie79 View Post
              on to Ketchum's Off Season.
              Me too!

Comment

If you haven't read Off Season - I loved it!!!!! I got my hands on the unedited (unexpurgated?) version. Definately a must read for horror fans.

I finished ready Forest of Shadows on my Kobo - it was a really good book. It kept me going to the end. I guess, the ending was rather predictable after a certain point in the story, but overall a very good read.

I also finished Offline by Kealan Patrick Burke. Very short e-book, and finished in a matter of minutes. Kealan - loved this one! Well put together, and with today's online society - fantastic!!!!

Comment

Now...... I am excited to finally get to it..... Lullaby for the Rain Girl by Christopher Conlon - picked up this up at DRP big sale they recently had. It's a title I've been interested for a while.

Comment

This will be my first reading of any Jack Ketchum book (though I had read a short story of his earlier in the month). I'm reading the unexpurgated version, it seems to be the most widely available version, besides I'd rather not have an edited/censored version. It was his movies that turned me onto his books, I really liked The Woman, and had to do a little research into who this Ketchum fellow was. The Girl Next Door was an amazing and moving film too, probably even better than The Woman. I'm just hoping I will like his books just as much.

Comment

I have not seen the movies but his books a very good reads.
                      Originally posted by Theli View Post
                      This will be my first reading of any Jack Ketchum book (though I had read a short story of his earlier in the month). I'm reading the unexpurgated version, it seems to be the most widely available version, besides I'd rather not have an edited/censored version. It was his movies that turned me onto his books, I really liked The Woman, and had to do a little research into who this Ketchum fellow was. The Girl Next Door was an amazing and moving film too, probably even better than The Woman. I'm just hoping I will like his books just as much.

Comment

I am hoping to have NOS4A2 in my hands later today!

Comment

Got mine! Unsigned...
                          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                            Got mine! Unsigned...
                            You guys give a book report when you're done. I'm going to finish HSB and Horns before I get to NOS4A2.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                              Have not seen The Woman yet, but really liked The Girl Next Door. Red is another good movie based on his novel Red
                              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                              Spoiler!

Comment

I had to pass on ordering NOS4A2 for now, but I hope to be able to get it soon. Might go with the UK edition though as I like that cover more
                                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                                Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                                X