No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Hunt on Ervoon was interesting. In his intro, Garton says he thought about giving it a rewrite before handing it over to CD, but didn't, reasoning that it would take away from the fact that it was a reflection of the period of medical problems he was experiencing at the time. Understandable, but a re-read of the book would have pointed out the incorrect attribution of a line of dialog on page 57 and the fact that he mistakenly identified the hound that had died on page 94, only to make the switch back on page 97. Oh, well.

Sick Chick Flicks byJohn Skipp will be next.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Sick Chick Flicks was a fun read--alternatingly exciting, horrifying, fascinating, ho-hum, and confusing. "Afterparty" gets things started with a look at pergatory as a forced party; "Honey Rose" is a thriller about a born survivor and the following she atrracts; and "Rose" is a wonderfully-bizarre zombie puppet musical, if you can believe it. AP is brilliant, HR is the mediocre entry in the anthology, but "Rose" is so over-the-top that it's hard not to love it. I didn't understand it (probably because it was the only one I didn't read in a single sitting), but it's the only one that is in the pre-preproduction stage, a lead actress having already been chosen.

This anthology is worth owning simply for "Rose" alone. When you read it, check out the website of the actress Skipp has chosen (Rose is listed at the top of her resume, though it soesn't have an entry on IMDb yet):

http://www.chasemckenna.com/#

Don't know what's next, probably take a break and get my taxes done. Faster refund means more books sooner!

EDIT: check out the still of "Rose" from Mckenna's site: Rose is to be in 3D!

http://www.chasemckenna.com/#!untitl...199t/image1nyf
      Last edited by srboone; 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM.
      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Ghoul by Brian Keene.
        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I watched Ghoul and didn't care from it. I have a feeling the book was much darker. I felt like I was watching a children's movie.

Comment

Same here. But I like whatI saw as Keene's themes in the movie and I thought the book is bound to be better.
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I definitely think the book would be good assuming i like his writing style but I wouldn't know. Thats the trouble I have with other authors...the style bugs me some how. I'm sure ill find others but for now i like to stick with what I know I like...until I run out of King. I read slow so it could be a while considering half his books a "Tomes"

Comment

Pretty impressed.....I finished 2 books in a week. The Painted Darkness was a quick read, but I really enjoyed it. Awesome job Brian!!!!!

I think I will start Off Season next. Doesn't look like it will take a long time to do this one either. I think I am going to rotate e-book and regular book until I run out of e-books on my Kobo. Then I just add more.

So....started Off Season at lunch today...... what a great start! Should be a quick read, and a page turner for sure.
                Last edited by TJCams; 02-01-2013, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Ghoul was disappointing to say the least. It had a good ending, but overall, it was only ok. The movie was better and I gave it 2.5/5 stars.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/514937443

I'll probably delve into Don Quixote for a bit before starting something else.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

REALLY? The movie was better? The movie sucked.

Comment

9780525953203_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Comment

Really???? I loved this book. Oh well to each their own. Sorry you did not like it. I am starting Speaks the Night bird.
                        Originally posted by srboone View Post
                        Ghoul was disappointing to say the least. It had a good ending, but overall, it was only ok. The movie was better and I gave it 2.5/5 stars.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/514937443

I'll probably delve into Don Quixote for a bit before starting something else.

Comment

No need to apologize, I decided after seeing th movie that I was goingto read it (though now I know why Keene was really happy with the movie). I haven't completely given up on Keene yet. I've got a couple more of his to read before making a final decision.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

If you haven't read Dark Hollow, it's a pretty good read, pretty quick read too. Some parts for me were a little over the top, and made it funny. Overall though, it was good.

By the way - I am enjoying Off Season so far, haven't got far into it, but so far so good.

Comment

I read The Circle and Dead Stay Dead last night and both were pretty darn good. Tonight, I'm going to start Bleed by Ed Kurtz.

Comment

I'm ashamed to say it but I read 1984 which I should of done 30 years ago. Fantastic book one of my faves for sure. It sounds like the America of today.

Comment

Working...
                                X