What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    The Terror is a must read and it must be read in the dead of winter when the days are short and the nights are long. Super book.
    I agree as well. I also enjoyed Drood and Flashback.

Comment

Any of the Simmons readers jump into the Hyperion books at all? I am debating on where to start with him. Stuff like The Terror or Winter Haunting (I think), or even Song of Kali sound like terrific reads, and more along the lines of what I am into, however....Hyperion (and the few sequels of the series) sound equaling captivating, but more on the sci-fi lines.

Comment

I'm currently reading The Ax by Donald Westlake. With the way our current economy is going, this story could very well end becoming a reality. This is the 3rd time I've read it, it's so good.

Comment

I started reading Hyperion a looong time ago and never finished it, though I've been meaning to check it out again. The Terror and Song of Kali have been on my TBR list forever; I'm hoping to get to at least one this year! Just a head's up: A Winter Haunting is a sequel to Summer of Night. I read them out of order myself and regretted it since a lot of the impact of A Winter Haunting is built on your knowledge of what came before. Besides that, anything by Simmons is good and I recommend his work enthusiastically.
          Originally posted by TJCams View Post
          Any of the Simmons readers jump into the Hyperion books at all? I am debating on where to start with him. Stuff like The Terror or Winter Haunting (I think), or even Song of Kali sound like terrific reads, and more along the lines of what I am into, however....Hyperion (and the few sequels of the series) sound equaling captivating, but more on the sci-fi lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Neiaushie79 View Post
            I'm currently reading The Ax by Donald Westlake. With the way our current economy is going, this story could very well end becoming a reality. This is the 3rd time I've read it, it's so good.
            Oh man, I loved The Ax! Such a great book. Just thinking about it makes me want to dust off my copy and team it up with A Simple Plan for a double-feature of normally good people doing really bad things!

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
              Dan Simmons' Summer of Night is outstanding too. There was a sequel, I think it was called Winter Haunting, which was good, but not great.
              Just found this after posting my other statement with the same info! Sorry for the waste of a post! That's what I get for not getting caught up on the thread before posting!

Comment

A Higher Call by Adam Makos was a great story, but the prose was high school newspaper quality, which was too bad. Had a terrific photo album insert.

A video of the reunion of Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown is on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8EkmyoG83Q

Next I'll be going on a Beer Run of the Dead with author D.F. Noble
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. Looove it. Halfway through, should finish it tomorrow.

Comment

Fever Dream by Pendergast/Child. #10 of 12. It would seem I have hooked on these like some kind of crack monkey.

Comment

They are great books.

Comment

I am in the home stretch (finally) of The Bourne Identity. Some parts are exciting, some not. The next read is a tough one, do I do Off Season, or Painted Darkness!??!?!?!

Comment

Beer Run of the Dead was an entertaining timewaster. Great lowbrow premise, sloppy prose. Several laugh-out-loud moments.

The Girl on the Glider by Brian Keene is next. Will be my first Keene.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Started reading my ARC of The Burning Time, mostly good so far. A little repetitive in parts and unbelievable in a part or two, but good so far. Hopefully I won't keep having the story pull me away from concentrating on the story.
                            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                            Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                              I am in the home stretch (finally) of The Bourne Identity. Some parts are exciting, some not. The next read is a tough one, do I do Off Season, or Painted Darkness!??!?!?!
                              Painted Darkness. It's a quick read, you'll finish it in a day or 2. Then do Off Season followed immediately by Offspring.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                                The Girl on the Glider by Brian Keene is next. Will be my first Keene.
                                Hope you enjoy it! That was my first book by him as well, and it is definitely not like most of his work. Most of what is in that one is true. Same goes for Sundancing, though if you want to read Sundancing (Which I highly recommend) you'll have to get it on the secondary market as it will never be in paperback or eBook, just the edition from the last Maelstrom set from Thunderstorm Books.

Earthworm Gods is a great read as well, along with the sequel.
                                WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                                Spoiler!

Comment

Working...
                                X