No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Chad Lutzke's & John Boden's "The Bedmakers". Had no idea of what to expect going into this one as I'd never read either author prior to this book. I was pretty much blown away. This was such a fantastic story. The characters felt so real, and the friendship of the two leads, Genie & Calvin, was very endearing. This is definitely not a horror story, though it does have some scary scenes. I'd characterize it as more of a dark tale. After reading this one, I hope these authors chose to collaborate again as I'd be in on a new book for sure!

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of the Golden/Keene edited Drive-in Multiplex Anthology book. I've seen some less than stellar reviews out there for this book; so, I've got my fingers crossed that I enjoy it more than they did. 

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
      Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Chad Lutzke's & John Boden's "The Bedmakers". Had no idea of what to expect going into this one as I'd never read either author prior to this book. I was pretty much blown away. This was such a fantastic story. The characters felt so real, and the friendship of the two leads, Genie & Calvin, was very endearing. This is definitely not a horror story, though it does have some scary scenes. I'd characterize it as more of a dark tale. After reading this one, I hope these authors chose to collaborate again as I'd be in on a new book for sure!
      Why must you do this to me?! Why, sholloman, why? Fine...I'll have to track down a copy now. All joking aside, your review just solidifies what I've already heard about the book. I'm glad it was a good read. I've been hearing good things about both writers recently. I have Lutke's Halo of Flies and Cannibal Creator just waiting in the TBR queue. The Bedmakers sounds just up my alley, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Why must you do this to me?! Why, sholloman, why? Fine...I'll have to track down a copy now. All joking aside, your review just solidifies what I've already heard about the book. I'm glad it was a good read. I've been hearing good things about both writers recently. I have Lutke's Halo of Flies and Cannibal Creator just waiting in the TBR queue. The Bedmakers sounds just up my alley, though.
        How the Skin Sheds is an excellent Lutzke title and I've heard a lot of people rave about Bruises on a Butterfly. I have it but haven't read it yet. Halo of Flies is heartbreaking horror. Lutzke has a very distinct style and I think he's criminally underappreciated. 

Comment

Yeah, you really should track it down if you are able and the price is fair. I finished it last night and haven't been able to stop thinking about it all morning. For a dark tale, the book has so much heart.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

How the Skin Sheds is an excellent Lutzke title and I've heard a lot of people rave about Bruises on a Butterfly. I have it but haven't read it yet. Halo of Flies is heartbreaking horror. Lutzke has a very distinct style and I think he's criminally underappreciated.Â
            Good to hear about How the Skin Sheds. I have it on preorder through Thunderstorm. I haven't even heard of Bruises on a Butterfly, so something further for me to look into. I think it was your review of Halo of Flies that put it on my "must track down" list and then, of course, I couldn't find it. I've only recently added it to the collection, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Something always jumps the queue.

Comment

Good to hear about How the Skin Sheds. I have it on preorder through Thunderstorm. I haven't even heard of Bruises on a Butterfly, so something further for me to look into. I think it was your review of Halo of Flies that put it on my "must track down" list and then, of course, I couldn't find it. I've only recently added it to the collection, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Something always jumps the queue.
              I know that frustration! So many authors fighting to be the next read. And me with only two eyes and such little time. 

Comment

I just started Robert McCammon's SEVEN SHADES OF EVIL, and while I'm thrilled to be reading another Matthew Corbett book the typeface in the trade hardcover is SO....SMALL...as to be almost unreadable. If this is what Lividian is planning for the last book in the series, I'll probably wait for the e-book.
                http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

About to start The Autopsy, which is the last story in Michael Shea’s collection Polyphemus.

Looking forward to it, as The Autopsy is one of my all time favorite stories.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                    About to start The Autopsy, which is the last story in Michael Shea’s collection Polyphemus.

Looking forward to it, as The Autopsy is one of my all time favorite stories.

B
                    I hope you saw the adaptation on Netflix!

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

I'm a huge Don Winslow fan and agree with you in regard to the "City trilogy", good not great. IMO, his best stuff occurred after he was done writing the Neal Carey series of books but before The Force in 2017. IMO, from The Force on, his stuff has been good but not special. I would definitely read Power of the Dog if you haven't done so. Savages is also very fun and is a somewhat newer title from his backlog.
                      Thanks for the recommendations!

The City books were my first Winslow reads...I have a copy of Power of the Dog from the used bookstore, I'll give that one a try next.

Comment

Finally finished Fracassi’s CHILD ALONE WITH STRANGERS. Pretty good, a solid read. I’m starting A HALF LIFE, a non-fiction memoir, one described by its publisher as: “In this powerful, unforgettable memoir, acclaimed novelist Darin Strauss examines the far-reaching consequences of the tragic moment that has shadowed his whole life. In his last month of high school, he was behind the wheel of his dad's Oldsmobile, driving with friends, heading off to play mini-golf. Then: a classmate swerved in front of his car. The collision resulted in her death. With piercing insight and stark prose, Darin Strauss leads us on a deeply personal, immediate, and emotional journey—graduating high school, going away to college, starting his writing career, falling in love with his future wife, becoming a father. Along the way, he takes a hard look at loss and guilt, maturity and accountability, hope and, at last, acceptance. The result is a staggering, uplifting tour de force.”
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                          I just started Robert McCammon's SEVEN SHADES OF EVIL, and while I'm thrilled to be reading another Matthew Corbett book the typeface in the trade hardcover is SO....SMALL...as to be almost unreadable. If this is what Lividian is planning for the last book in the series, I'll probably wait for the e-book.
                          The font was small in the previous book as well. THE KING OF SHADOWS, I believe. I had to stop reading it because it was killing my eyes, which is a shame since I love those books. I imagine the font size is to keep the page count down and reduce costs. However, I'd gladly pay a few extra bucks to have a better reading experience.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                            Finally finished Fracassi’s CHILD ALONE WITH STRANGERS. Pretty good, a solid read. I’m starting A HALF LIFE, a non-fiction memoir, one described by its publisher as: “In this powerful, unforgettable memoir, acclaimed novelist Darin Strauss examines the far-reaching consequences of the tragic moment that has shadowed his whole life. In his last month of high school, he was behind the wheel of his dad's Oldsmobile, driving with friends, heading off to play mini-golf. Then: a classmate swerved in front of his car. The collision resulted in her death. With piercing insight and stark prose, Darin Strauss leads us on a deeply personal, immediate, and emotional journey—graduating high school, going away to college, starting his writing career, falling in love with his future wife, becoming a father. Along the way, he takes a hard look at loss and guilt, maturity and accountability, hope and, at last, acceptance. The result is a staggering, uplifting tour de force.”
                            Glad to hear Child Alone with Strangers was good. It's high on my TBR pile.

Comment

Finished Cold, Black and Infinite by Todd Keisling. Really enjoyed this collection, and I look forward to reading his novel Devil's Creek.

Just starting Out by Natsuo Kirino for a book club. I know nothing about this one going in, other than the bookstore owner telling me it was brutal.

Comment

I just started Doug Stanhope's DIGGING UP MOTHER: A LOVE STORY, and I'm already halfway through...cannot put it down. Brutally funny, vile, heartbreaking...just a great read.

Still slooooowly making my way through Josh Malerman's SPIN A BLACK YARN. The last of the five stories is the best one, at least so far, but this has been a real struggle.

I know it already, but when you have a few years between reading books by him, you forget just how much of an incredible talent Robert McCammon is. SEVEN SHADES OF EVIL is, as always, amazing. I was going to skip the story NIGHT RIDE, as I had just read it a year or two ago, but I got sucked right back in. In a just world, this man would sit atop the bestseller lists all year long, every year. One of the best writers out there.

And I'm savoring Werner Herzog's EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF...AND GOD AGAINST ALL. This is less an autobiography than a rambling stream-of-consciousness series of recollections, and it doesn't really make you want to read it in big chunks, but small nips here and there. I hear Herzog's extraordinary voice in my head as I read, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X