What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Thanks for the review on STRANGE STONE because, like sholloman, I've been not too sure if I should pull the trigger or not on it. I like Sangiovanni, Lee not so much, and I feel Lovecraft is hit-or-miss.

How's that GHOST RIDER omnibus? I never read the series when it came out, but I know it was hugely popular. I mean, in the 90s every comic had Wolverine, the Punisher, or Ghost Rider guest-starring in it to boost sales. I read a little of the spin-off series SPIRITS OF VENGEANCE when it came out and it was...fine. I find Howard Mackie's work to be VERY hit-or-miss. When it works, it's so much fun. When it doesn't...well, not so much.
    You hit the nail right on the head with "fun". The book is, mainly, a lot of fun. Mackie is NOT a skilled writer, and some of the dialogue, MOST of the dialogue, is cringe-worthy. The stories are so gonzo that you can't help but enjoy them. The book is dragged down by dozens of short stories/arcs from MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS that are all uniformly terrible, so I ended up giving the book a 5 out of 10. I'll probably be back for the second volume, though.

After finishing the GR omnibus, I moved on the the slightly better third volume of the SIMPSONS TREEHOUSE OF HORROR omnibus. Stories by Len Wein & Bernie Wrightson and Marv Wolfman & Gene Colan were a real treat.
    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just finished reading the Suntup AGE of Richard Matheson's "Hell House". This was my first time reading Hell House and it was everything that I was hoping for and more. Really strong character work, a great setting, and a willingness to push boundaries. I don't traditionally enjoy haunted house books as much as other horror troupes as I don't find them very scary, but this one worked for me big-time. Everything about the Belasco house/haunting was creepy, and the story was so much meaner that I had expected going-in. Overall, an A+ read for me and perhaps my new favorite haunting novel of all-time!

Am now reading the Earthling LE of Jonathan Janz's "Marla". This was a previous entry in Earthling's Halloween Series that I never got around to; so, I figure now's the time!

Comment

Working...
      X