What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuggers View Post

Unless they somehow made a deal for his newly announced Crypt of the Moon Spider....
    I hadn't heard about this one, but just looked it up -- thanks for the heads up. I still suspect it's more likely THE STRANGE, given that THE CRYPT OF THE MOON SPIDER is a novella, and I don't believe Midworld's done any slim volumes like that.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Finally finished Imajica.

Definitely a love / hate relationship with this book. At various times I didn’t want to put it down, at other times I didn’t want to pick it up.

Maybe, like with Barker’s Weaveworld, I would like it better on the second reading (though a second reading of Imajica would be some years down the road), where I could just get immersed in the story and not worry about keeping all the characters & names & places straight in my head.

Overall, I thought the book was 150 or so pages too long, and found the climax to be a bit underwhelming, though I did find Barker’s overall ending to be quite satisfying.

B

Comment

After Imajica, I read Fright Train, an anthology of train stories edited by the Switch House Gang (Tony Tremblay’s, Charles Rutledge & Scott Goudsward).

I liked the first story by Bracken MacLeod and the closing ghost stories by Amanda Dewees and Christopher Golden.

After Fright Train, I started Lord of Damnation by Simon Clark.

A 100 pages in and I’m enjoying LoD, though I thoroughly expect Clark to screw that up some how.

B

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
          A Clive Barker book was mentioned above, and that has me thinking...there are two I was thinking of looking into, but I am not certain whether I should or not (not his biggest fan, but I did enjoy the Books of Blood). Any insight on The Damnation Game and The Great and Secret Show?

As for what I am currently reading, well...it isn't horror or science fiction, but I will mention it anyway for those who may be interested: Unscripted, a book about the late Viacom chief Sumner Redstone. Pretty engaging, as many of these kinds of nonfiction books are...
          It’s been 25 years or so since I’ve read it, but I do remember really liking The Damnation Game.

I think it was his first novel & was more of a horror novel than his later books, which tended to be more fantasy in nature.

I‘ve never read The Great and Secret Show, though I have heard good things about it. Have it in my TBR pile somewhere.

B

Comment

Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Bryan Smith's "The Freakshow", an extreme horror novel. This book was a little frustrating for me, but that may have been due to my expectations. The book immediately launches into its plot and the killing starts from pretty much the get-go, and yet it didn't feel like the book truly began until well over a third of the way through. I know I didn't connect to it until around that point; however, once I did, it became a blast to read. Some of the kill/splatter/sex scenes were quite shocking, and I've been a reader of extreme horror for a while. Also had some very fun/despicable characters to root for & against. Overall, I can understand why this book has the rep that it does and would give it a solid C to C+ rating.

Am now reading Don Winslow's "City of Dreams". Already over half-way through. This book has an unputdownable quality and is yet another reminder for me as to why Winslow might be my favorite living crime writer.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
              Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Bryan Smith's "The Freakshow", an extreme horror novel. This book was a little frustrating for me, but that may have been due to my expectations. The book immediately launches into its plot and the killing starts from pretty much the get-go, and yet it didn't feel like the book truly began until well over a third of the way through. I know I didn't connect to it until around that point; however, once I did, it became a blast to read. Some of the kill/splatter/sex scenes were quite shocking, and I've been a reader of extreme horror for a while. Also had some very fun/despicable characters to root for & against. Overall, I can understand why this book has the rep that it does and would give it a solid C to C+ rating.

Am now reading Don Winslow's "City of Dreams". Already over half-way through. This book has an unputdownable quality and is yet another reminder for me as to why Winslow might be my favorite living crime writer.
              I've been real hit-or-miss with Bryan Smith in the past. I was not a big fan of 68 Kill, but I did enjoy Blood and Whiskey. I've mostly stayed away from his extreme horror stuff as it's not quite my jam, even though I have Depraved 4 on my shelf (which is really to keep a full matching set of Screaming Cacti lettereds). Maybe one day I'll give it a shot, though.

Comment

Just finished reading Don Winslow's "City of Dreams". This book was a fantastic middle-book for this trilogy of stories. Could not put it down and was constantly thinking about it when not reading it. Cannot wait for the final book in the trilogy, "City in Ruins".

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Bryan Smith's & Brian Keene's "Suburban Gothic", a sequel to Keene's "Urban Gothic" and Smith's "The Freakshow". Super fun so far, especially if you're into the extreme horror thing!

Comment

60 pages to go in Lord of Damnation, and doubt I’ll pick it up again.

The first third was interesting enough, but then it just got kind of ridiculous.

I might’ve finished it if I thought there was any chance of the author pulling it out in the last quarter, but based on my past experiences with Clark, I don’t think there’s any chance of that.

B

Comment

Two stories into In A Lonely Place by Karl Edward Wagner.
                    So far, really enjoying it.  

B

Comment

Finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Bryan Smith's & Brian Keene's "Suburban Gothic", a sequel to Keene's "Urban Gothic" and Smith's "The Freakshow". As I mentioned above, this is a super fun book, especially if you're into the extreme horror thing. I believe you can enjoy "Suburban Gothic" on its own, but I would truly recommend reading the two books mentioned above to maximize the experience. Lots of previous characters and events are referenced. There's also lots of fun little Easter eggs from each author's catalogue as well as references to books/characters by other authors they enjoy. For example, there was an explicit reference to Edward Lee's The Bighead as well as other cryptids. This was Keene's & Smith's first collaboration; however, you would never know it as their styles blend seamlessly. Really hope they write together in the future.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Mark Matthews "The Hobgoblin of Little Minds"

Comment

Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Mark Matthews "The Hobgoblin of Little Minds".  In all honesty, this book just wasn't for me.  Probably would have DNF'd it if I wasn't so obstinate about that sort of thing.  It wasn't a bad book per se, but IMO, it just took way too long to get to the heart of the story.  By the time it actually picked-up and started getting good, I had already mentally tapped-out and really wasn't interested in reinvesting at that point.  I personally felt like a lot of the back story could have been condensed and not much wouldn't have been lost which would have also helped with the overall pacing of the book.  Really, I think this would have made a better novella than novel.  All that being said, there were still some really cool scenes and ideas in this one, and I can see it being especially poignant for someone who has suffered from or been around someone suffering from mental illness.  Overall, I would give this a C- to D+ grade.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Shane McKenzie's "Muerte Con Carne"

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                          Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Mark Matthews "The Hobgoblin of Little Minds". In all honesty, this book just wasn't for me. Probably would have DNF'd it if I wasn't so obstinate about that sort of thing. It wasn't a bad book per se, but IMO, it just took way too long to get to the heart of the story. By the time it actually picked-up and started getting good, I had already mentally tapped-out and really wasn't interested in reinvesting at that point. I personally felt like a lot of the back story could have been condensed and not much wouldn't have been lost which would have also helped with the overall pacing of the book. Really, I think this would have made a better novella than novel. All that being said, there were still some really cool scenes and ideas in this one, and I can see it being especially poignant for someone who has suffered from or been around someone suffering from mental illness. Overall, I would give this a C- to D+ grade.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Shane McKenzie's "Muerte Con Carne"
                          That's a bummer. I've had it on my shelf for a little while and I've been looking forward to reading it. I have read a couple of Matthews's short stories and I did like them quite a bit, but a short story and a novel are two different things. I'll still get around to reading this, but it might have slid down a notch or two in the reading pile.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

That's a bummer. I've had it on my shelf for a little while and I've been looking forward to reading it. I have read a couple of Matthews's short stories and I did like them quite a bit, but a short story and a novel are two different things. I'll still get around to reading this, but it might have slid down a notch or two in the reading pile.
                            Hopefully, you'll like it better than I did. I just couldn't get it to click for me. Was especially bummed as this was the first Thunderstorm title that I've ever considered DNF'ing. Thankfully, I picked this up at a much-reduced price on the aftermarket; so, I don't feel quite so bad about not enjoying it as much as I was expecting.

Comment

Finished up a re-read of Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury this morning.

While the story does read as somewhat dated, Bradbury’s themes of censorship and nuclear war are as prevalent today as they were 70 years ago.

After 451 I started West of Hell, a weird western anthology with three novella length stories by James A. Moore, R. B. Wood, & Michael Burke.

A few pages into the Moore story, which features his recurring character, Jonathan Crowley. So far, so good.

B

Comment

Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Shane McKenzie's "Muerte Con Carne". This book was a blast! Nothing revolutionary, but you can tell the author really had fun writing this one. Had a bit of an Edward Lee feel to me, a mix of Goon & The Backwoods, if it was set at the Mexican border. Also dug the couple of short stories that were included with the main story. One of them even gave me some major Harlan Ellison vibes. Overall, If you enjoy splatter/extreme horror, this one is recommended.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Kristopher Triana's "A Cold Place for Dying". Am a huge Triana fan and can't wait to see where he goes with this one!

Comment

Working...
                                X