What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Dang it…I’ve been kicking myself for passing on this one. I can’t find a copy online either.
    Probably going to only get harder to find the S/L HC, unfortunately, as King indicated a couple days ago that he was going to follow up on all the hype he's seen and read it himself. I suspect that comment spurred some King fantatics and media (film) companies to find out more about it, potentially increasing demand, both in the short- and long-term. If you're just after the story, though, if there isn't already a trade-paperback in the works, there certainly will be now.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Been reading a bunch of crime comics from Ed Brubaker (thank you Humble Bundle for a hell of a deal on a huge number of his books) but recently started to finally read Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind.

One of those books that's been on my radar for years but I've never just stumbled upon a copy (similar to the story so far actually) but there was a pile of free books in our break room last year and one of them was a copy of TSofW.

So far I'm enjoying it. Quite a bit different than Brubaker's crime comics.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
        Been reading a bunch of crime comics from Ed Brubaker (thank you Humble Bundle for a hell of a deal on a huge number of his books) but recently started to finally read Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind.

One of those books that's been on my radar for years but I've never just stumbled upon a copy (similar to the story so far actually) but there was a pile of free books in our break room last year and one of them was a copy of TSofW.

So far I'm enjoying it. Quite a bit different than Brubaker's crime comics.
        Will be interested to hear your final thoughts on the Zafon…like you, always been interested in the series (and SHADOW in particular) but for whatever reason just never pulled the trigger. My worry, too, is I’ll like it and then need the Sub Press set, and it’s verryyy spendy these days.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
          Will be interested to hear your final thoughts on the Zafon…like you, always been interested in the series (and SHADOW in particular) but for whatever reason just never pulled the trigger. My worry, too, is I’ll like it and then need the Sub Press set, and it’s verryyy spendy these days.
          RIGHT?? That damn SubPress set . . .

Comment

Just finished Ghoul N' The Cape by Josh Malerman. Took me about a week and a half as this is one mammoth book. I enjoyed the heck out of this one. A road trip story for the ages. Also, I know some people have complained about the thinly veiled political commentary, but, for me, it didn't seem that heavy-handed and took nothing away from the story. Overall, this one definitely gets an A grade from me!

Comment

Current read is Adam Neville’s LOST GIRL. Previous read was Perez-Reverte’s THE DUMAS CLUB.

Comment

Current read is Adam Neville’s LOST GIRL. Previous read was Perez-Reverte’s THE DUMAS CLUB.
                How'd you like DUMAS? I believe you said it was a book you've been wanting to read for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

How'd you like DUMAS? I believe you said it was a book you've been wanting to read for a while.
                  I had, and the Sub Press S/L deluxe edition was the edition I'd been lusting after for years and the edition I saved my reading of the book for. Unfortunately, sometimes what you lust turns to be not all you'd built it up to be once you have it...this was, to some degree, an example of that. I did enjoy it, and it had a wonderful eerie, old-world feel about it (perhaps due to its Spanish origins), and the blend of pulp and literary in a book-centric plot made for generally entertaining reading. All that said, it had neither the overt supernatural slant that I believed it to have -- I hadn't expected much, but even those minor estimates were off -- nor the lean pacing that some reviews had remarked upon. Instead, it was a clever mystery thriller with just a hint of supernatural, and a storyline that seemed to rely too much on redundancy and coincidence to advance its plot. Characterization definitely took a back seat to plot -- which is arguably appropriate given its pulpy construct, but it still suffers for it. Ultimately, I skim-read the last quarter as it just felt like the story was bogging down a bit too much in its own clever aspirations. All in all, I'd give it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

Comment

Finished John Scalzi's 'Kaiju Preservation Society'. Exactly what I wanted from a Scalzi novel. Good story, lighthearted science fiction what a bunch of humor! Great read except that it makes me want more Scalzi to read!
                    Up next is Stewart O'Nan's 'Ocean State'.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      Finished John Scalzi's 'Kaiju Preservation Society'. Exactly what I wanted from a Scalzi novel. Good story, lighthearted science fiction what a bunch of humor! Great read except that it makes me want more Scalzi to read!
                      Up next is Stewart O'Nan's 'Ocean State'.
                      Received my signed 1st HC of it from Flyleaf Books yesterday (inscribed, actually, my first such book from...I realized that of all my signed Scalzis that I hadn't ever ordered an inscribed one (and I like one such book from each of my preferred authors), so I remedied that situation). Very much looking forward to reading it...once I get done with LOST GIRL, I think I'm just going to bypass the older TBR-pile contenders and leap right into it). Great to hear it's a good one!

Comment

I had, and the Sub Press S/L deluxe edition was the edition I'd been lusting after for years and the edition I saved my reading of the book for. Unfortunately, sometimes what you lust turns to be not all you'd built it up to be once you have it...this was, to some degree, an example of that. I did enjoy it, and it had a wonderful eerie, old-world feel about it (perhaps due to its Spanish origins), and the blend of pulp and literary in a book-centric plot made for generally entertaining reading. All that said, it had neither the overt supernatural slant that I believed it to have -- I hadn't expected much, but even those minor estimates were off -- nor the lean pacing that some reviews had remarked upon. Instead, it was a clever mystery thriller with just a hint of supernatural, and a storyline that seemed to rely too much on redundancy and coincidence to advance its plot. Characterization definitely took a back seat to plot -- which is arguably appropriate given its pulpy construct, but it still suffers for it. Ultimately, I skim-read the last quarter as it just felt like the story was bogging down a bit too much in its own clever aspirations. All in all, I'd give it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.
                        That's a bummer. I hate it when that happens. I always try to clear my head of any kind of expectations going into a book so I can approach it with a fresh mind, but you can really only do that to a certain extent. DUMAS has been in my TBR for years. It might be there a bit longer until I can finally get to it.

Comment

Received my signed 1st HC of it from Flyleaf Books yesterday (inscribed, actually, my first such book from...I realized that of all my signed Scalzis that I hadn't ever ordered an inscribed one (and I like one such book from each of my preferred authors), so I remedied that situation). Very much looking forward to reading it...once I get done with LOST GIRL, I think I'm just going to bypass the older TBR-pile contenders and leap right into it). Great to hear it's a good one!
                          I had waited so long for new Scalzi that I had to read that one right away. For me it had Fuzzy Nation vibes with more humor and the connection to the old Godzilla movies was well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I had waited so long for new Scalzi that I had to read that one right away. For me it had Fuzzy Nation vibes with more humor and the connection to the old Godzilla movies was well done.
                            Also good to hear, as I really enjoyed FUZZY NATION.

Comment

Finished The Auctioneer by Joan Samson.
                              4/5

Last night finished Dreaming in the Dark, ed. by Jack Dann, an anthology of all Australian writers.

While geared more towards the fantasy end of the spectrum,
                              there is enough good dark fiction to recommend to horror readers.

Especially good we’re the stories by Angela Slatter, Kim Wilkins (who I’d never read before) & Janeen Webb.

3.5/5

Right now rereading The Island of Dr Moreau, my favorite from HG Wells.

B

Comment

Also good to hear, as I really enjoyed FUZZY NATION.
                                Started Scalzi’s KAIJU PRESERVATION SOCIETY last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X