No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neal Asher Lockdown Tales! A collection of Novella's conceived, written or Completed during COVID. I've been a huge Asher fan for years, it's always clear that the trails and tribulations of his life inform his writing. The polity universe is a beautiful, joyful, dreadful place. Beware Penny Royal!!

Comment

Just finished the new Murderbot novella, "Fugitive Telemetry." More of a murder mystery than the previous novellas. If you liked the previous novellas, then you will definitely like this one too. Am thinking of reading P. Deji Clark's new novel "A Master of Djin" next. I really loved his previous book/novella "Ring Shout" and have been hoping to read more by him. Really hoping that this book is a strong as "Ring Shout" was. It is his first full-length novel; so, my fingers are crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
        Just finished Martha Wells' "The Murderbot Diaries". I know that some people on the forum didn't dig this book; however, I really enjoyed it. Loved the characterization for Murderbot. Also loved the way that Murderbot interacts with humans and other bots. May shelve this one next to " Sea of Rust" as Murderbot and Brittle are probably two of my favorite (recent) robots/AI stories.
        I know I said it elsewhere, but I loved the novellas - didn't care for the novel as much. I think I'm only good with Murderbot in ~100 page chunks.

I still need to read Sea of Rust. It's on the shelf at least.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

I still need to read Sea of Rust. It's on the shelf at least.
          Really looking forward to the prequel, DAY ZERO, that's due out in two days (in trade, anyhow...while Cargill let it slip via a cover reveal on Twitter, the S/L hasn't yet been announced).

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Really looking forward to the prequel, DAY ZERO, that's due out in two days (in trade, anyhow...while Cargill let it slip via a cover reveal on Twitter, the S/L hasn't yet been announced).
            Am really hoping SubPress does a limited for the prequel. I had never heard of Sea of Rust until I picked it up via one of the SubPress sales. Am very glad that I did as I really enjoyed that book. Didn't know that there was a prequel until recently. Think I will hold off on a trade copy and keep my fingers crossed for a limited edition being announced.

Comment

Am really hoping SubPress does a limited for the prequel. I had never heard of Sea of Rust until I picked it up via one of the SubPress sales. Am very glad that I did as I really enjoyed that book. Didn't know that there was a prequel until recently. Think I will hold off on a trade copy and keep my fingers crossed for a limited edition being announced.
              Sub Press is indeed doing the limited of the prequel, which is nice since they did SEA OF RUST (which I agree with you, was a great read...in fact, I enjoyed it more than the other recent Artificial Intelligence (AI) novel I read, MURDERBOT DIARIES) and should make for a nice two-volume set. Here's the tweet where Cargill indicates the publisher is Sub Press and posts the great wrap-around cover art:

https://twitter.com/Massawyrm/status...007981057?s=20
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Just finished P. Deji Clark's new novel "A Master of Djinn". Not my typical sort of read, but, I really loved his previous novella "Ring Shout" and thought that I would give his first novel a shot. Am glad I did as I really liked it. The book was a good mix of alt history, steampunk, fantasy, middle eastern folklore, & middle eastern culture. Really enjoyed the main characters a lot in this one. Clark has a way of writing strong, interesting, & well developed female characters. He also finds a way to speak on things like racism, sexism, & class without it ever seeming preachy. Really hope that he considers making this book into a series as I would love to revisit these characters and setting. Overall, a recommended read!

Comment

I haven't ready P Deji Clark yet - I do have a novella from him that I must have gotten from Tor as a freebie - The Haunting of Trans Car 015.

Comment

Finished The Wide Carnivorous Sky by John Langan. I found it to be a mixed bag. It definitely had its high points and its low(er) points.

Half way through Later by Stephen King. So far, so good.

B

Comment

Finished Later. Not bad, not great.

Started The Shadows Over Baker Street ed. by John Pelan & Michael Reeves.

An anthology of stories that are mish mash of Sherlock Holmes & HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos.

Three stories in, and have enjoyed them all so far.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                        Finished Later. Not bad, not great.

Started The Shadows Over Baker Street ed. by John Pelan & Michael Reeves.

An anthology of stories that are mish mash of Sherlock Holmes & HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos.

Three stories in, and have enjoyed them all so far.

B
                        A Study in Jade is Fantastic. I think it won a couple of awards. I wish Gaiman would follow up with some additional stories.

Comment

Recently received Matthew Costello's "Home" from CD and decided to give it a read. Actually, I re-read "Vacation" first to plunge myself back into this world which was a great help as the plot for "Home" picks-up immediately after "Vacation". Overall, while nothing in either book was groundbreaking, I did enjoy each novel and would rate them a solid C+ read. The completist in me is hoping that CD will publish the third book to complete this trilogy.

Think I will begin "Usher's Passing" by Robert McCammon as my next read as I recently received the limited edition from CD as well. Been a while since I've read "Usher's Passing" and hope it holds up as well as I remember it.

Comment

Recently received Matthew Costello's "Home" from CD and decided to give it a read. Actually, I re-read "Vacation" first to plunge myself back into this world which was a great help as the plot for "Home" picks-up immediately after "Vacation". Overall, while nothing in either book was groundbreaking, I did enjoy each novel and would rate them a solid C+ read. The completist in me is hoping that CD will publish the third book to complete this trilogy.

Think I will begin "Usher's Passing" by Robert McCammon as my next read as I recently received the limited edition from CD as well. Been a while since I've read "Usher's Passing" and hope it holds up as well as I remember it.
                            I really enjoyed Vacation and Home. CD has a Signature series book titled Siege that contains prequels to Vacation and Home. That one has not been released but I do have the ARC. Given how much they have already invested in the series I really hope they publish Family as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I really enjoyed Vacation and Home. CD has a Signature series book titled Siege that contains prequels to Vacation and Home. That one has not been released but I do have the ARC. Given how much they have already invested in the series I really hope they publish Family as well.
                              Thanks for mentioning the upcoming signature series book, "Siege". Didn't know that book was in the CD pipeline and definitely will be preordering it whenever it gets announced.

Comment

Thanks for mentioning the upcoming signature series book, "Siege". Didn't know that book was in the CD pipeline and definitely will be preordering it whenever it gets announced.
                                They are both fun little stories and they fit well with the books they are prequels to.

Comment

Working...
                                X