What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

PS published the two volumes above and announced a third volume of what was at the time advertised as a 9 volume series collecting all of Gorman's short fiction.

Unfortunately, soon after the third volume was announced, the series was cancelled.

A multi-volume series collecting the best of Ed Gorman's short fiction?? Sounds to me like this has Centipede Press written all over it!

B
    WOW! Nine books, that would have been amazing. I wouldn't say no to Centipede, but for ridiculous sentimental reasons, I'd rather see CD do that series. My first Gorman title was The Dwyer Trilogy. I found it at a Thrift store. It's a little dinged, but overall in good condition.

Comment

Just finished "Ready Player Two" by Ernest Cline. Noticed that it got a lot of flak in reviews and on goodreads; however, I enjoyed it a lot. It pretty much follows the template of the first book with a few minor tweeks and new characters. The majority of the quests had me cracking-up or swimming in nostalgia. Loved the John Hughes section. If you enjoyed "Ready Player One", then I believe that you'll enjoy this sequel.

Comment

Finished The Chrysalis by Brendan Deneen the other night. Some things I liked about the book (mainly the throw back horror feel to the 70's & 80's); some things I didn't (at times the pacing was slow almost to the point of boring; too many unanswered question at the end, and, for me, a conclusion (the last 10 - 15 pages) completely disjointed from the rest of the story).

The Governess by Stephen Gallagher - a chapbook / short story about Malone reconnecting with an estranged Professor Challenger (characters from Doyle's The Lost World) to save the ghost of his recently deceased son.
        Fans of Gallagher's work or quiet ghost stories should enjoy this quick read.

All the Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones - I'm a little more than half way through on this one, and it took about to the half way point for the story to kick in for me. I found the first half to be slow and, at times, Jones writing style difficult to follow (too many times I had to re-read sentences and "oh, he's talking about that").

But the story has seemed to pick up about half way through.

We'll see how the rest of the story goes from here.

B

Comment

It's been a while since I contributed anything to this thread, too many things happening at once I guess. I love the fiction of Cornell Woolrich, for now I've set aside Stories To Be Whispered: The Collected Short Fiction of Cornell Woolrich Volume Two. I am currently reading Nemesis: The Death of Timmy Quinn by Kealan Patrick Burke. In a KPB interview I read it sounds like we should see more of this series with a new main character. I read Ghost Heart by Weston Ochse and Yvonne Navarro-Great story- and Doubledown Book VII Frozen Shadows/Wild Woman by Gene O'Neill/Chris Marrs. I also finished in early December The Haunting Tales of Nathaniel Hawthorne edited by Michael Hayes.

Cap
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Finished All the Good Indians the other night, and while the story does pick up in the second half, still have to say I was, overall, disappointed with it. Due to the overwhelmingly good reviews I had read before picking it up, may be my expectations were too high to begin with.

On a better note, 2/3 of the way through Full Throttle and really enjoying it.

It's as good, if not better, than 20th Century Ghosts.

B

Comment

Finished Full Throttle the other night and it's probably the best collection I've read this year.

I'd rate it right up there with 20th Century Ghosts.

Now, about half way through Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia, and liking it a lot.

It's more of a gothic mystery story than the haunted house story I was expecting going into it.

B

Comment

Read Widow's Point by Richard & Billy Chizmar the other day. Liked it alot. Felt liked the they really nailed the classic haunted lighthouse story.

The story was kind of a lovechild between King's"1408" and "The Nephews" by Rick Hautala.

Currently reading The Classic Horror Collection, a 900 page tome of old horror stories. Started this one back before Thanksgiving and have just been kind of piecemealing it here and there since. Around 200 pages to go.

B

Comment

Touch The Night by Max Booth - disappointing. Gave up on this one a little over half way through.

Oh well, time to finish up The Classic Horror Collection - 2 more stories to go.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                    Touch The Night by Max Booth - disappointing. Gave up on this one a little over half way through.

Oh well, time to finish up The Classic Horror Collection - 2 more stories to go.

B
                    Oh man, I'd heard good things about Touch The Night, too...

Comment

I finished Nemesis: The Death of Timmy Quinn by Kealan Patrick Burke and now I'm back to reading Stories To Be Whispered: The Collected Short Fiction of Cornell Woolrich Volume Two. I am also reading Murder in the Blackout by J. Russell Warren.

Cap
                      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Finished The Raven by Jonathan Janz last night.

This one was a lot of fun. Janz offered a different take on the postapocalypstic novel and does it at a frenetic pace throughout the story.

Surprisingly, it was the end of the book, the last 20 pages or so, where the pace slackened significantly, though I'm sure this was a set up for the next book.

A trilogy perhaps??

After The Raven, started the collection And Cannot Come Again by Simon Bestwick. 4 or 5 stories in and they've all been great so far.

Dark weird fiction, creature features, quiet ghost stories, Bestwick seems to be able to handle all facets of the horror genre with ease.

B

Comment

I have the Raven, started it put it down, just haven't gotten back to it yet.

Comment

Last night I finished COVER ME: THE VINTAGE ART OF PAN BOOKS, a history of Pan pbs from the UK. Not sure what I'm going to start tonight, but I think I'm being drawn to Cornell Woolrich's WALTZ INTO DARKNESS, a novel I've read before, but it's been a very long time and I don't remember much about it at all. Mysterious Press came out recently with a new edition of it (in both tpb and HC...I grabbed the HC from Amazon), and I thought this would be an opportune time for a reread (something I very rarely do).
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                              I have the Raven, started it put it down, just haven't gotten back to it yet.
                              I found it to be a fast paced, entertaining read, but it's pure fantasy horror.

If's definitely a popcorn novel.

B

Comment

To my shock and dismay, I couldn’t finish Westlake Soul. I loved the beginning but liked it less and less with each page. And it’s not a bad book. It’s beautifully written and very original it just wasn’t for me. Felt like a YA novel. So I closed it and shelved it.

Then I started reading SEED by Anita Ahlborn and so far I’m loving it.

Comment

Working...
                                X