No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dipping my toe into October Reading. October Dreams was my First Cemetery Dance book. I love Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October. Gleeful Halloween fun. Remember this is a full moon on Halloween this year, so be on the lookout for openers and Closers!! Halloween Reads.jpg

Comment

Finished Castle of Sorrows by Jonathan Janz last night. Liked it better than The Sorrows, though the last 50 pages suffers from some of the same problems as the first book.

Don't know what I'll pick up next.

B

Comment

Just finished "Blood Secrets" by Craig Jones. Wasn't sure what to expect but absolutely loved it. Very messed-up story! Have now begun Jeremy Robert Johnson's "The Loop". Have only ever read his short fiction, which is bonkers. Am excited to see what he does with a novel length story.

Comment

I'm reading Touch the Night and really liking it (maybe 20% into it). I have no idea where it's going, but Mr. Booth has me believing in his characters and caring about what happens to them. And the build is nice and steady. Glad I picked this one up.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
            Just finished "Blood Secrets" by Craig Jones. Wasn't sure what to expect but absolutely loved it. Very messed-up story! Have now begun Jeremy Robert Johnson's "The Loop". Have only ever read his short fiction, which is bonkers. Am excited to see what he does with a novel length story.
            I loved Blood Secrets as well! The suspense had strong Rosemary's Baby vibes. Really great read.

Comment

TROUBLED BLOOD by Robert Galbraith. About halfway through this 933 page book. My library copy had printing error of chapters 13/14 being repeated than skipping 35 pages. Another library copy had the same mistake. I e mailed the publisher about this on their damaged goods portion of the site but never heard back. I ended up buying the book from a brick and mortar bookstore, read the missing pages the day I bought the book and returned it the next day and continued on with the library book (first making sure there were no more printing errors!)

Comment

A few on the go at the moment - Tremblay's collection, 'Growing Things', which is excellent so far.
                'Crooked Houses', an anthology of haunted house stories. Usual mix of meh, good and outstanding.
                And a novel from the 1970's by Mark Ronson (pseudonym, I believe), called 'Blood Thirst'. Was expecting some trashy fun, but so far it's actually very good.

Comment

there is this article about love language and how different people send or receive love. I feel like its something simple that you dont need to be told but again very important if you are not aware of it

Comment

Just finished Jeremy Robert Johnson's "The Loop". Started a little slow, but about a quarter of the way through, it kicked into gear and went high octane. Very action packed with many gory scenes. I can understand why the term body-horror is used in a lot of the reviews as this is a very bloody story. The protagonist and her friends were a hoot and acted/felt like real teens. I think this book would definitely make a cool horror movie.

Am now starting "Those Below the Treehouse" by Matt Hayward. This will be my first book by this author; so, I'm not sure what to expect; however, it has gotten a lot of good press from authors/reviewers that I trust and the premise sounds cool; so, I am excited to give it a go.

Comment

WINDSWEPT HOUSE by Malachi Martin

very interesting take on Vatican drama behind the scenes.
                      Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                      Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

LOCK IN by John Scalzi is my current read...just a few pages in so too early to tell, but given that I've loved all but one of the dozen Scalzis I've read, I figure the odds are in my favor.

Hope it's better than the last book I read, JACK by Connie Willis. I was really excited about this one, as I have a soft spot for horror / WWII hybrid works, but this one just didn't do it for me. It was not bad, per se, but just fell far from expectations.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Recently I have slogged my way through Shift by Hugh Howey, which was an ordeal to finish. I have been meaning to read this for a long time after finishing Wool but I found it slow and boring. It made me abandon my long-held assumption that I would pick up that limited set from SubPress one day.
                          I listened to Wolf Hunt 3 by Jeff Strand which was enormous fun. I listened to all three of those and the performance by the reader Scott Thomas is outstanding. Highest recommendation to those who like light-hearted fun masquerading as horror.
                          I'm now listening to Heaven's River - the latest of the Bobiverse books (Dennis E Taylor). This is a much longer form novel than the first three and I'm enjoying it thoroughly.
                          I'm reading Flood by Stephen Baxter. Baxter's one of my "must have everything" guys. So many great ideas. I will go straight on to the sequel, Ark, after finishing this.

Comment

Just finished "Those Below the Treehouse" by Matt Hayward. This was my first read from this author and I am very impressed. I thought the story was fantastic. Very tense with just the right amount of gore for this type of story. He nailed the voices of the kids in this book perfectly. While not a one to one comparison, it reminded me a bit of Mathew Costello's "Vacation". Definitely an author I will be checking out again in the future.

Am now beginning Jonathan Janz's " The Siren & the Specter". This will be my first book by this author; so, I'm not sure what to expect. Have heard nothing but good things regarding this author and have been meaning to try one of his books for awhile. Hope he/it lives up the the hype.

Comment

Just finished The House by the Cemetery by John Everson. The first thing I've read from Everson since the awful Nightwhere. The first 2/3 of House started out as a slow burn haunted house / ghost story, followed by the last 1/3 which was an all out, Halloween themed blood bath. Liked The House by the Cemetery a lot.

Before I started House I got 100 pages into an older Stephen Jones anthology, White of the Moon. It wasn't that bad, just not what I was looking for a Halloween read. I'll probably finish it at some point in the future.

B

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                                Just finished "Those Below the Treehouse" by Matt Hayward. This was my first read from this author and I am very impressed. I thought the story was fantastic. Very tense with just the right amount of gore for this type of story. He nailed the voices of the kids in this book perfectly. While not a one to one comparison, it reminded me a bit of Mathew Costello's "Vacation". Definitely an author I will be checking out again in the future.

Am now beginning Jonathan Janz's " The Siren & the Specter". This will be my first book by this author; so, I'm not sure what to expect. Have heard nothing but good things regarding this author and have been meaning to try one of his books for awhile. Hope he/it lives up the the hype.
                                The Siren & the Specter was the first thing I had read by Janz, and I was very impressed with it.

Recently ordered Those Below the Treehouse by Matt Hayward. Glad to see you liked it. Most of the reviews I've seen have been very positive.

B

Comment

Working...
                                X