What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    I'm reading The Twisted Ones, which is nicely creepy so far. I'm over half way, and finding it hard to put down.

https://www.amazon.com/Twisted-Ones-...9997711&sr=8-1
    This one sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the mention, I think I will give this one a go.

Comment

I enjoyed the latter half of THE TWISTED ONES. First half did not engage me but it definitely picked up. Currently reading THE EYES OF THE BEAST ( Aka ADVENTURELAND) by Steve Harris.

Jim

Comment

I just finished The Warehouse, by Rob Hart. This one was recommended by Stephen King.

While not a horror novel, it certainly read like one in some respects. I'd say it's a much more serious treatment of Bentley Little's The Store (sorry, Jeff), and I would recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=the+wareh...b_sb_ss_i_5_13

Comment

I just finished The Warehouse, by Rob Hart. This one was recommended by Stephen King.

While not a horror novel, it certainly read like one in some respects. I'd say it's a much more serious treatment of Bentley Little's The Store (sorry, Jeff), and I would recommend it.

I believe that I got an ARC of that last year’s ECCC. Autographed too. Nothing quite like getting a book signed by the author and saying “I’ve never heard of you or the book but could you sign it?” (I may not have said those exact words.)

Comment

That one was on my radar when the hype was active for it...my interest in it kind of cooled when the hype cooled. Probably should give it a second look.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Just finished The Pale White by Chad Lutzke . Highly recommended read. I really like Chad’s style of writing.
              Up next Doll Crimes by Karen Runge

Comment

I finished reading Death Pledge by Bill Walker (Not the same Bill Walker who has two CD releases). Death Pledge was just great and it's one of the best books I've read in quite a while! I have not gone back to reading Dracula. I am reading Nightmare Alley by William Lindsay Gresham and Circus Boy Starring Corky by Gordom Grimsley.

Cap
                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I finished John M. Ford’s The Dragon Waiting: A Masque of History Simon & Schuster (1983) this morning. I bought the book in November and fully expected to have it read by Christmas but that didn’t happen. Of course, the holidays had something to do with it, but honestly, the book isn’t written to be a fast read. It’s very thoughtful, twisty and oddly paced. But here’s the thing, it’s intriguing rather than off-putting, but it will sneak up on you if you’re not looking for it and I wasn’t. I put it down and walked away from it a couple of times. It is a book that makes you think and pause. In the end the book didn’t leave me happy the way some books do, it left me feeling unresolved thoughtful. It felt like life. I know I’m going to go back and read this one. It really is a very different mature kind of fantasy novel. It should be read by any serious student of fantasy writing. Throwing this link in, even though I’ve posted it before. I’m very excited about Tor’s plan to put Ford’s Books back into print.

https://www.tor.com/2019/11/15/tor-b...ublished-work/

Comment

I finally finished Stephen King's REVIVAL just now. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was about 75 pages into it before I realized I had read it before. I looked at my Good Reads page to verify that and sure enough, I had rated it 3 stars out of 5 back in March of 2015.

Since I was that far into it and couldn't remember much of it I went ahead and finished it. The story definitely picked up as I went along and I enjoyed the last 2/3 of the book quite a bit. In fact, after this second reading I would probably rate it higher than 3 stars. It was a very satisfying read.

Comment

Reading Michael McDowell's Jack & Susan in 1933. Pleasantly surprised, it's a really snappy take on the Nick & Nora/Thin Man story. I'm Really enjoying it. I read that McDowell had planned to expand the series to include a book from every decade, he eventually wrote three titles Jack & Susan in 1913, 1933 and 1953, before bowing out of the contract for some reason. The books were originally published in 1985, 1986, 1987 and were reprinted by Felony & Mayhem Press in 2013. What a shame he passed away so young.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                        Reading Michael McDowell's Jack & Susan in 1933. Pleasantly surprised, it's a really snappy take on the Nick & Nora/Thin Man story. I'm Really enjoying it. I read that McDowell had planned to expand the series to include a book from every decade, he eventually wrote three titles Jack & Susan in 1913, 1933 and 1953, before bowing out of the contract for some reason. The books were originally published in 1985, 1986, 1987 and were reprinted by Felony & Mayhem Press in 2013. What a shame he passed away so young.
                        I have a couple of these (believe I’m still missing one), but haven’t read any yet. Good to hear they’re well worth the time.
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

A generous soul recently gifted this set of "Mongo" novels by George Chesbro to me and I am about 50 pages into the first volume, Shadow of a Broken Man. I have heard great things about Chesbro but this is my first venture into his works. So far I am impressed by what I've read.

Chesbro Mongo.jpg

Comment

That was nice, happy reading!

Comment

Reading The Green Kangaroos by Jessica McHugh. Bazaar and wonderful.

Comment

1984. First time.

Comment

Working...
                                X