What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    I have the DARK MASTERS trilogy in my sights if I like this one. I’m reading it in BEST NEW HORROR #25 that I found on clearance at HPB for $2.00. DARK MASTERS has piqued my interest for some time, so when I saw this a couple months ago and noted that it had Volk’s novella, I snatched it up (it also had THE GIST by Michael Marshall Smith).
    Ended up skimming the second half after finding the first half a bit of a drudge...the second half was only marginally better. A number of reasons why, but not worth the effort to go into detail. Oh well, at least it saves me the money for the limited trilogy.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Half way through The Chalk Man by CJ Tudor and thoroughly enjoying it!

B

Comment

I finally started my ARC of Grady Hendrix's WE SOLD OUR SOULS. I was so excited to get this, roughly a year ago, and then I could never bring myself to crack it open. I think it was because of my general distaste for Horror novels that take place in the world of Rock musicians. I have yet to read one that rang true, and I can't stand the endless passages of:
        "He ran his hands lovingly up the frets, caressing high G and making it purr like a kitten with a cooch full of rabid weasels, as the amp squealed the way that Ozzy's sphincter did at Donnington during the "Tribute to Satan" tour....As his fingers bled, he lost himself to the feeling of the strings cutting into them, the pain giving way to the ecstasy that was....ROCK AND ROLL!"

I'm up to page 61, and there has been a little bit of that so far....but I trust Hendrix enough to keep going.
        http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dude, we must've been separated at birth! I don't buy any novels that feature rock and roll bands. Too much ego-maniacal, nonsensical, floofy bullshit all up in thar!

savalas.png
          Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
            Half way through The Chalk Man by CJ Tudor and thoroughly enjoying it!

B
            I just finished it last Friday. I loved the beginning but it was a generous 3 stars for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
              I finally started my ARC of Grady Hendrix's WE SOLD OUR SOULS. I was so excited to get this, roughly a year ago, and then I could never bring myself to crack it open. I think it was because of my general distaste for Horror novels that take place in the world of Rock musicians. I have yet to read one that rang true, and I can't stand the endless passages of:
              "He ran his hands lovingly up the frets, caressing high G and making it purr like a kitten with a cooch full of rabid weasels, as the amp squealed the way that Ozzy's sphincter did at Donnington during the "Tribute to Satan" tour....As his fingers bled, he lost himself to the feeling of the strings cutting into them, the pain giving way to the ecstasy that was....ROCK AND ROLL!"

I'm up to page 61, and there has been a little bit of that so far....but I trust Hendrix enough to keep going.
              The HC is a gorgeous production.

Comment

Kojak is the man.
                Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

I finished reading Racing the Sunrise: Reinforcing America's Pacific Outposts, 1941-1942 by Glen M Williford. I am now reading and enjoying Lost in Darkness by Jeffrey Thomas. I'm still reading Circus Boy Adventure Stories-based on the Circus Boy TV series.

Cap
                  Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by njhorror View Post
                    Dude, we must've been separated at birth! I don't buy any novels that feature rock and roll bands. Too much ego-maniacal, nonsensical, floofy bullshit all up in thar!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21487[/ATTACH]
                    You are truly my brutha from anutha mutha.
                    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm 150 pages into Thomas Harris's Cari Mora and I'm genuinely sad to say it's not very good. Fingers crossed for a rousing second half but I'm not that hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonUK View Post
                        I'm 150 pages into Thomas Harris's Cari Mora and I'm genuinely sad to say it's not very good. Fingers crossed for a rousing second half but I'm not that hopeful.
                        I am a little farther than you an at this point would give it a C. Part of that may be a result of high expectations. I am also left hoping for a rousing finish as well.

Comment

Three quarters of the way finished with Merrily Watkins Book 3, A Crown of Lights by Phil Rickman.
                          I'm enjoying it very much and ordered numbers 4, 5, and 6.
                          Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                            I just finished it last Friday. I loved the beginning but it was a generous 3 stars for me.
                            I liked it more than you did. It was a solid 4 stars for me. I found it to be a well paced book and an enjoyable story that always kept me wanting to get back to it.

I really thought the book picked up in the second half, with all the revelations. I was left with a couple of questions at the end, either questions that weren't answered, or things I just missed as a reader, since there were so many revelations in the last third of the book.

I know this was being compared to King's It & The Body, but to me it most brought to mind the novels Girl Gone & Sarah Pinborough's Behind Her Eyes. I liked both of those books, but I think I liked The Chalk Man a little better. I thought the ending was a little more plausible in TCM, even though it still had it's Scooby Doo stretch at the end, as all these stories seem to have.

I'm looking forward to giving Tudor's next book a try.

B.

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                              I liked it more than you did. It was a solid 4 stars for me. I found it to be a well paced book and an enjoyable story that always kept me wanting to get back to it.

I really thought the book picked up in the second half, with all the revelations. I was left with a couple of questions at the end, either questions that weren't answered, or things I just missed as a reader, since there were so many revelations in the last third of the book.

I know this was being compared to King's It & The Body, but to me it most brought to mind the novels Girl Gone & Sarah Pinborough's Behind Her Eyes. I liked both of those books, but I think I liked The Chalk Man a little better. I thought the ending was a little more plausible in TCM, even though it still had it's Scooby Doo stretch at the end, as all these stories seem to have.

I'm looking forward to giving Tudor's next book a try.

B.
                              Well, I'm glad you liked it more than I did. I went into slightly greater detail in my Goodreads review, but my problem with Chalk Man is that the main characters don't do anything. They're not active in the story apart from having things happen to them or around them.

I've read a novella and a novel (They Say a Girl Died Here Once) by Sarah Pinborough and I loved both of them. I found Behind Her Eyes in the thrift shop and I'll read it at some point.

Comment

Just started Maigret and the Wine Merchant by Georges Simenon, 1970.

Comment

Working...
                                X