X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the covers that I was speaking about earlier:

1646141_original.jpg

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    The third book in Sylvan Neuvel’s Themis Files trilogy - Only Human - just came out and since I had only read the first book - Sleeping Giants - I decided to start the second one - Waking Gods.

Upon starting WK I realized that I couldn’t remember anything about the first book other than a giant robot. Found a semi-thorough recap of SG and even after reading it nothing sounded familiar.

I guess that this is a long winded way of saying that I started a re-read of SG in prep to read the next two afterwards.

Something that these books offer that tradition mass produced books is the design work. I love the die-cut dust jackets and the detailed artwork on the covers is great. I think this trilogy would make a fine set from a specialty publisher. Imagine some amazing artwork could be included.

If I wasn’t on my phone I’d upload the covers.

Comment

They are beautiful looking books

Comment

Those covers are absolutely beautiful.

Comment

Finished The Listener last night. So far one of my favorite books of the year that I have read. Great characters great plot and a super fun read.

Comment

I finally finished Monster Midway by William Lindsay Gresham. MM was interesting...I just had to set it aside a few times. The carnival shows described within are from 50 or 60 plus years ago. You definitely won't find a good number of those shows at any fair you attend today. I have only read a small bit of The Green Man-Tales from the Mythic Forest edited by Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling. Instead I sank my teeth into Missing From His Home by J. Russell Warren. I can tell MFHH will be a fairly quick read for me.

Cap
            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              Started a book by a small-press (actually, micro-press is probably more accurate) that from the first paragraph I knew was going to be painful to read...labored, awkward, unnatural prose, stiff dialogue, the whole ball of wax...reads like something from the first day of community-college creative writing class. I made it two chapters in and threw in the towel. Life's too short and my TBR pile too large to spend time reading crap like this. After getting burned too many times, I now typically stay away from self-published works and those by unknown small-press authors -- especially those published in editions of under 100, as in the case of this S/L HC -- but this one sounded interesting enough that I gambled...and lost. Live and learn. At least I got it for a steal so I'm not out much $$.
              What was the book if you don't mind me asking? ~Cap

Comment

I finished reading The Grave's In The Meadow by Manning Lee Stokes. This was an excellent book. The plot is fairly predictable, it was well written and I thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the funniest moments? The ending. The main character Richard Ludwell is about the only survivor. He escapes the electric chair by pleading insanity and winds up in an institution. The last two words are not The End. The last two words are I am. Ludwell's roommate thinks that he is Napoleon and than Ludwell says I am (Napoleon).

Cap

Comment

Reading Haven. 70% done and love it so far

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                    Glad you are loving it, counters my ambivalence towards it.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                      I'm glad you like it. I might give it another try some day.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        I'm glad you like it. I might give it another try some day.
                        You really should. I am finding it a cross between The Outsider and Summer of Night. That's due to some plot similarities.
                        I should finish it today.

Comment

Splitting my time between Compulsory Games by Robert Aickman, and His Father's Son by Bentley Little

Enjoying both.
                          Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Just finished a rereading of Lord of the Flies. A great book that I haven't read in decades. It still holds up and is perfect for this time in this world right now.
                            Next up I'm probably going with the new Bryan Smith book. Last Day

Comment

I am re-reading The Long Walk. It has probably been very 30 Years since I first read this and I am really enjoying it. Too bad Richard Bachman passed away, he was a good writer.

Comment

I’m just about finished with the second book in Katherine Arden’s Winternight trilogy - The Girl in the Tower.

I devoured the first book, and loving the second one just as much. (I should finish it today in fact - I thought I had forgotten it at home, but luckily it got packed, along with my lunch. These 4:15 wake ups are hard.)

Comment

Working...
                                X