What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Started Haven by Tom Deady. Still early but it is showing promise so far.
    I'd love to know what you think when you're done with the book.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
      I read The Passage and The Twelve last year. Then went on to The City of Mirrors and was not thrilled with how the trilogy was wrapped up. The books were good. Not great.
      I read The Passage a while back and liked it quite a bit. I’m contemplating a reread prior to tackling the next two books. I’m disappointed to hear that the trilogy doesn’t end well as I thought it started off strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
        I read The Passage a while back and liked it quite a bit. I’m contemplating a reread prior to tackling the next two books. I’m disappointed to hear that the trilogy doesn’t end well as I thought it started off strong.
        I thought it started off strong, but the second book was a letdown for me. It's been so long since I read it I couldn't say why, but I remember thinking maybe I should cancel my pre-order for the third book. In the end, I thought the third book was a big improvement on the second, and I was glad I read it.

Comment

I finished Swift, Silent, and Deadly: Marine Amphibious Reconnaissance in the Pacific, 1942-1945 by Bruce F. Meyers and now I'm reading Dead on Arrival-10 Great Fact Detective Cases from the Editors of Hillman Publications.

Cap
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I just finished THE MOUNTAIN KING by Rick Hautala. This is the first book of his that I've read. Overall it held my interest and I really enjoyed it. There was one scene that was somewhat unbelievable to me (He wouldn't have done THAT!) but otherwise it was a solid read.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
              I just finished THE MOUNTAIN KING by Rick Hautala. This is the first book of his that I've read. Overall it held my interest and I really enjoyed it. There was one scene that was somewhat unbelievable to me (He wouldn't have done THAT!) but otherwise it was a solid read.
              I enjoy Rick's work but agree he sometimes has characters do things that do not match the character. My favorite read of his is The Wildman.

Comment

My favorite read of his is The Wildman.
                I will have to give that one a try.

Comment

I finished listening to Swan Song last night. A very good book which I enjoyed. While it was long, it never dragged, and the different situations the protagonists found themselves in kept me interested. It's hard not to compare it to The Stand (which I love). Obviously the post nuclear setting is different to the the post disease setting which made for grimmer situations. Similarly, the good guys and the bad guys were developed, and the battle between good and evil seemed inevitable.
                  A little bit of the supernatural stuff mixed in with the science of the day made it almost plausible. Almost!
                  I expect you've all read it, but I would thoroughly recommend it if you haven't.
                  Now I've started listening to an Australian author - Jock Serong - The Rules of Backyard Cricket.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                    I finished listening to Swan Song last night. A very good book which I enjoyed. While it was long, it never dragged, and the different situations the protagonists found themselves in kept me interested. It's hard not to compare it to The Stand (which I love). Obviously the post nuclear setting is different to the the post disease setting which made for grimmer situations. Similarly, the good guys and the bad guys were developed, and the battle between good and evil seemed inevitable.
                    A little bit of the supernatural stuff mixed in with the science of the day made it almost plausible. Almost!
                    I expect you've all read it, but I would thoroughly recommend it if you haven't.
                    Now I've started listening to an Australian author - Jock Serong - The Rules of Backyard Cricket.
                    I really need to revisit Swan Song. It absolutely swept me away when I first read it. It’s nice to continue to see people discover it as I don’t feel it gets talked about enough.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                      Swan Song is probably in my top five all-time favorite books. I try to re-read it every five years or so. When someone asks me for a recommendation for something to read it is always near the top of the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
                        Swan Song is probably in my top five all-time favorite books. I try to re-read it every five years or so. When someone asks me for a recommendation for something to read it is always near the top of the list.
                        The McCammon book I have read was Boys Life and while I liked it, I was not blown away by it. I have been thinking about giving him another try before The Listener is released. I may have to give Swan Song a shot.

Comment

The McCammon book I have read was Boys Life and while I liked it, I was not blown away by it. I have been thinking about giving him another try before The Listener is released. I may have to give Swan Song a shot.
                          That's funny, because I'm the opposite. I thought Swan Song was ok, but I've never been impressed with it, whereas Boy's Life is one I've read a few times, and it's one that I'd highly recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                            That's funny, because I'm the opposite. I thought Swan Song was ok, but I've never been impressed with it, whereas Boy's Life is one I've read a few times, and it's one that I'd highly recommend.
                            I actually really like both books. I would also recommend Speaks The Nightbird, The Five and Blue World. ......actually I have yet to read a McCammon book that I was disappointed with. He's one of my favorite authors.

Comment

The Matthew Corbett series, BAM!! LOl!

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                                I actually really like both books. I would also recommend Speaks The Nightbird, The Five and Blue World. ......actually I have yet to read a McCammon book that I was disappointed with. He's one of my favorite authors.
                                I have all his books, and liked them all, but some resonate more than others. I wasn't sure I'd like the Matthew Corbett series, but damn, it's good!

Comment

Working...
                                X