What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    I have all his books, and liked them all, but some resonate more than others. I wasn't sure I'd like the Matthew Corbett series, but damn, it's good!
    Speaks The Nightbird kinda left me cold. It wasn't poorly written as I've yet to read anything by McCammon that is, but it just didn't quite work for me. Maybe there was too much hype around it that unrealistically raised my expectations, or maybe the historical mystery genre just isn't my jam. I've been toying with picking up The Queen of Bedlam to give the series another shot.

Comment

While I enjoyed StN, for me the series really didn’t pick up and become fun until TQoB.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      Speaks The Nightbird kinda left me cold. It wasn't poorly written as I've yet to read anything by McCammon that is, but it just didn't quite work for me. Maybe there was too much hype around it that unrealistically raised my expectations, or maybe the historical mystery genre just isn't my jam. I've been toying with picking up The Queen of Bedlam to give the series another shot.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
        While I enjoyed StN, for me the series really didn’t pick up and become fun until TQoB.
        That’s kinda the feeling I’ve gotten from other reviews and why I haven’t completely written the series off as “not my thing”. I’m also rather prone to not enjoy series fiction. Most just don’t do anything for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          I'd love to know what you think when you're done with the book.
          So, what did I think of Haven. Well I should have loved it. I love the basic premise. I think the character development was also good. I did enjoy the story but there were too many distractions for me to love it. Without going into detail, I have no problem suspending reality. I am reading about a monster after all. With that said, I want the actions and basic activities taking place to be believable. Repeatedly this story went off in ways I not did not believe, they distracted me from the story being told. There is enough good here that I will read more of Mr. Deady to see how he develops.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            So, what did I think of Haven. Well I should have loved it. I love the basic premise. I think the character development was also good. I did enjoy the story but there were too many distractions for me to love it. Without going into detail, I have no problem suspending reality. I am reading about a monster after all. With that said, I want the actions and basic activities taking place to be believable. Repeatedly this story went off in ways I not did not believe, they distracted me from the story being told. There is enough good here that I will read more of Mr. Deady to see how he develops.
            I think you're sniffing around the edges of what turned me off. **BEGIN SEMI-SPOILER** When the bullies (stand ins for Henry Bowers' gang) beat up the good kids (Loser's Club) for the 20th time, I screamed 'THE HORSE IS DEAD, PLEASE STOP KICKING!" before quietly closing the book and walking away. **END SEMI-SPOILER**

I guess if it was a YA book, it would have set my expectations in a way where I could have tolerated the endless pointless drama. But it wasn't. I never found out what the monster was, I never found out what happened to the son of the Police Chief or Paul or the Good Kids. I think this book could have used a lot more editing. The basic ingredients were all there, but some of them were in there too much and overpowered the recipe.

I'm reading THE THICKET by Lansdale right now and I'm absolutely loving it. I have the Earthling edition and Paul knocked it out of the park on this production. This will be something I prize in my collection. Well, if the last half is half as good as the first half, I will. I meant for that sentence to be annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
              I think you're sniffing around the edges of what turned me off. **BEGIN SEMI-SPOILER** When the bullies (stand ins for Henry Bowers' gang) beat up the good kids (Loser's Club) for the 20th time, I screamed 'THE HORSE IS DEAD, PLEASE STOP KICKING!" before quietly closing the book and walking away. **END SEMI-SPOILER**

I guess if it was a YA book, it would have set my expectations in a way where I could have tolerated the endless pointless drama. But it wasn't. I never found out what the monster was, I never found out what happened to the son of the Police Chief or Paul or the Good Kids. I think this book could have used a lot more editing. The basic ingredients were all there, but some of them were in there too much and overpowered the recipe.

I'm reading THE THICKET by Lansdale right now and I'm absolutely loving it. I have the Earthling edition and Paul knocked it out of the park on this production. This will be something I prize in my collection. Well, if the last half is half as good as the first half, I will. I meant for that sentence to be annoying.
              My issues with the story were similar to yours but different. I was not concerned with the repeated attacks. I could not buy into so many felonious activities with no repercussions. So a teenager would cut another's face with a knife, no one bothers to report it. The chief of police plants an unregistered gun and hits a person with a shovel with the local pastor as a witness, no one bothers to report it. I can accept one or two of those in a story but they just kept coming. I do disagree with you on the monster, I felt it was explained well.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                My issues with the story were similar to yours but different. I was not concerned with the repeated attacks. I could not buy into so many felonious activities with no repercussions. So a teenager would cut another's face with a knife, no one bothers to report it. The chief of police plants an unregistered gun and hits a person with a shovel with the local pastor as a witness, no one bothers to report it. I can accept one or two of those in a story but they just kept coming. I do disagree with you on the monster, I felt it was explained well.
                I think our issues are identical. Because it was the fact that nothing changed in between assaults, no repercussions from the assaults, is what kept the assaults occurring. No one reported them to the authorities and the victims did nothing to push back or maybe end it for good. It was the same every time: OH NO, the deranged cliche caught the innocent cliche and now the misunderstood hero needs to snarl and chase away the deranged cliche. Until the very next time the identical thing happens.

I didn't find out about the monster because I didn't finish the book. I quit on that book twice. The first time I felt bad because I thought there was a possibility that it would smooth out and redeem itself. I felt I was being too harsh. And so I reopened and continued and then, no, I just couldn't. It really bummed me out.

Comment

I'm enjoying a very intelligent, well written, vampire novel called The Shake by Mel Nicolai, published, I think self-published in 2011. A pleasant midwinter surprise.

Comment

I finished Dead On Arrival and I'm now reading Monster Midway by William L Gresham.

Cap
                    Last edited by c marvel; 03-01-2018, 02:51 AM.
                    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I finished Mad Dogs a while ago and I loved it. Very much in the Elmore Leonard/Carl Hiaasen style, and while not particularly memorable, it was a fun read. I went straight into Hodge's Picking The Bones, which I have been picking up from time to time. I amnow listening to A long way to a small angry planet by Becky Chambers, and Artemis by Andy Weir. I'm enjoying both so far.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                        I finished Mad Dogs a while ago and I loved it. Very much in the Elmore Leonard/Carl Hiaasen style, and while not particularly memorable, it was a fun read. I went straight into Hodge's Picking The Bones, which I have been picking up from time to time. I amnow listening to A long way to a small angry planet by Becky Chambers, and Artemis by Andy Weir. I'm enjoying both so far.
                        I enjoyed Mad Dogs and Artemis. Still have Picking the Bones in my to be read pile. Did you enjoy it?

Comment

I just finished Mapping The Interior by Stephen Graham Jones. Thought it was ok. I enjoyed the story but not as much as most people seem to have. Now on to The Doll House by Edward Lee.

Comment

So far I am - I'm about halfway through it. As it's short stories, I am reading one or two here and there when the mood takes me.

Comment

Currently I am reading to Anny of Green Gables.

Comment

I am still in the middle of Monster Midway by William L Gresham. Today, I finished reading Dick Tracy #1 Meets Angeltop: Flattop's Little Girl and Dick Tracy #2: Meets the Punks written by Max Collins.

Cap
                                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X