No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to the library on 2/12, and now I'm half way through my last book. So this is nine days worth -

Dog Beach, by John Fusco - funny so far, about an ageing Hong Kong stuntman trying to evade the triads while making a movie in Malibu,

The Means, by Douglas Brunt - good ending, but I thought the story could have been fleshed out a bit. A story of politics and news influencing each other.

The Shaft, by David J. Schow - awesome! This came in from Centipede Press and I couldn't put it down.

The Forgers, by Bradford Morrow - another good one, about a forger who forges signatures and inscriptions on rare books, gets caught, and is stalked by a somewhat deranged individual out for vengeance.

Gangsterland, by Tod Goldberg - A Mafia hitman kills four FBI agents and is forced to resettle in Las Vegas...as a Rabbi. This one was funny and good, well worth a read.

Wonderland, by Stacey D'Erasmo - an ageing female rock star is trying to make a comeback. I lost interest in this one. It's a bit more literary than I could be bothered with this week.

Phantom Instinct, by Meg Gardiner - who cares what it's about, it's Meg Gardiner! Excellent, as always.

Dark Spies, by Matthew Dunn - about a sniper on the run from multiple governments after being hung out to dry on a mission. This one was really good. With the author being an ex-MI6 agent, it should ring true.

Run, by Andrew Grant - a fun read about a computer programmer who copies the wrong data to his USB sticks and is on the run, but from whom? I thought the ending could have been better, but still good.

Comment

I just finished Neil Gaiman's latest collection Trigger Warning, so I decided to read a book that a co-worker gave me with a sticky note warning - this is one jacked up story - Room by Emma Donoghue.

And jacked up is a fitting descriptor. It's just so uncomfortable. I wasn't sure at first if I'd be able to finish, and not finishing a book is not an option for me (I even forced myself to finish Summerland by Michael Chabon which I HATED.) One of my best friends says that I should finish it, but the uncomfortableness really bothers me.

Comment

Almost finished with Weaveworld by Clive Barker, Finished The Deep by Nick Cutter a few days back and was nothing but disappointed with it
        Last edited by Tommy; 02-21-2015, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
          Almost finished with Weaveworld by Clive Barker, Finished The Deep by Nick Cutter a few days back and was nothing but disappointed with it
          Weaveworld is one of my favorites.

Comment

Just started Trigger Warning. Gaiman is a fav of mine, the man creates real magic.

Comment

Originally posted by markgunnells View Post
              Just started Trigger Warning. Gaiman is a fav of mine, the man creates real magic.
              He's become hit and miss over the years. Maybe I'm still disappointed that I feel like I'm the only one who thought American Gods was lackluster at best . . . But I did enjoy the short Black Dog from Trigger Warnings quite a bit.

Saying all that, he is still one of my favorite authors (biased from youth?)

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                He's become hit and miss over the years. Maybe I'm still disappointed that I feel like I'm the only one who thought American Gods was lackluster at best . . . But I did enjoy the short Black Dog from Trigger Warnings quite a bit.

Saying all that, he is still one of my favorite authors (biased from youth?)
                I too am not a great fan of American Gods, I think Neverwhere is his best novel. But I'm still a fan. Ocean at the End of the Lane and The Graveyard Book I thought were wonderful, and I even delighted in his children's book Suddenly, the Milk. I'm a bit over halfway through this collection, not every story is a winner for me, but I'm enjoying more than I'm not.

Comment

Finished The Whispering Swarm by Michael Moorcock. Probably my least favorite of his novels. Oh well, he's still on my favorite authors short list. Venturing onto Wuthering Heights. I'm on a classics kick right now.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Finished Trigger Warning, and it was a stellar collection. And full of very disturbing and chilling stories. My favorite was "Feminine Endings" which was truly unnerving.

Comment

I am stilll working my way through the first Game of Thrones book. Been a lot of distractions, etc. and it's a great read, but just taking me time to get through it.

Comment

I just finished A Simple Plan and The Ruins both I actually liked. A Simple Plan I thought was well written, movie wise I have no interest in watching as the story would probably just piss me off. But I really like how it was written and it left me on the edge of my seat most of the time. Each character was painted out proper so I had a strong connection with all of them and the emotions that they were going through. Easily a 4/5 stars, maybe even a 5 lol. As for The Ruins, I can see why it's a love or hate type of book. It wasn't as well written as A Simple Man but it did have it's moments. I think where it really shines is how gruesome the scenes are. Where it somewhat fails is how too far fetch some of the characters actions are. Seriously, they've only been stuck 24-48 hrs and they're trying to salvage as much water as they can already...I mean c'mon lol. If you take the book for what it is, which is just a nasty, raunchy, horror story I think it's enjoyable. For me it's a 4/5 star just because of how crazy the story was lol.

So now I've moved on to All Heads Turn Wen the Hunt Goes By. I'm really impress with the Centipede Press edition. Definitely one of my favourites in terms of design and quality. The paper used is really thick and got a great texture. Hopefully the story is just as good.

Comment

Reading The Confession by John Grisham currently. I must admit to being a fan. I think this one is rather gripping.

Comment

Originally posted by Julzz View Post
                            I just finished A Simple Plan and The Ruins both I actually liked. A Simple Plan I thought was well written, movie wise I have no interest in watching as the story would probably just piss me off. But I really like how it was written and it left me on the edge of my seat most of the time. Each character was painted out proper so I had a strong connection with all of them and the emotions that they were going through. Easily a 4/5 stars, maybe even a 5 lol. As for The Ruins, I can see why it's a love or hate type of book. It wasn't as well written as A Simple Man but it did have it's moments. I think where it really shines is how gruesome the scenes are. Where it somewhat fails is how too far fetch some of the characters actions are. Seriously, they've only been stuck 24-48 hrs and they're trying to salvage as much water as they can already...I mean c'mon lol. If you take the book for what it is, which is just a nasty, raunchy, horror story I think it's enjoyable. For me it's a 4/5 star just because of how crazy the story was lol.

So now I've moved on to All Heads Turn Wen the Hunt Goes By. I'm really impress with the Centipede Press edition. Definitely one of my favourites in terms of design and quality. The paper used is really thick and got a great texture. Hopefully the story is just as good.
                            Still gotta read both these books, but the film for A Simple Plan is really great. I won't go so far as to say it's my favourite Sam Raimi flick (I really love the Evil Dead series) but it may be his best. It's definitely not like anything else he directed.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                              Finished The Whispering Swarm by Michael Moorcock. Probably my least favorite of his novels. Oh well, he's still on my favorite authors short list. Venturing onto Wuthering Heights. I'm on a classics kick right now.
                              Hadn't heard of that one. Newer work? Part of the Eternal Champion arc?

Comment

Finished 'The Shaft', by David Schow - great blend of crime and supernatural horror, 80's style. Very enjoyable.

Nearly finished 'Dark Matter', by Michelle Paver - excellent story, so far, told journal style, of a three man expedition to the Arctic and what they encounter there. Very atmospheric, very interesting, very well written. And, pretty creepy, bordering on scary.

Comment

Working...
                                X