X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boggle Champion
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

I'm a huge Don Winslow fan and agree with you in regard to the "City trilogy", good not great. IMO, his best stuff occurred after he was done writing the Neal Carey series of books but before The Force in 2017. IMO, from The Force on, his stuff has been good but not special. I would definitely read Power of the Dog if you haven't done so. Savages is also very fun and is a somewhat newer title from his backlog.
    Thanks for the recommendations!

The City books were my first Winslow reads...I have a copy of Power of the Dog from the used bookstore, I'll give that one a try next.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    About to start The Autopsy, which is the last story in Michael Shea’s collection Polyphemus.

Looking forward to it, as The Autopsy is one of my all time favorite stories.

B
    I hope you saw the adaptation on Netflix!

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    About to start The Autopsy, which is the last story in Michael Shea’s collection Polyphemus.

Looking forward to it, as The Autopsy is one of my all time favorite stories.

B

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    I just started Robert McCammon's SEVEN SHADES OF EVIL, and while I'm thrilled to be reading another Matthew Corbett book the typeface in the trade hardcover is SO....SMALL...as to be almost unreadable. If this is what Lividian is planning for the last book in the series, I'll probably wait for the e-book.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Good to hear about How the Skin Sheds. I have it on preorder through Thunderstorm. I haven't even heard of Bruises on a Butterfly, so something further for me to look into. I think it was your review of Halo of Flies that put it on my "must track down" list and then, of course, I couldn't find it. I've only recently added it to the collection, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Something always jumps the queue.
    I know that frustration! So many authors fighting to be the next read. And me with only two eyes and such little time. 

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

How the Skin Sheds is an excellent Lutzke title and I've heard a lot of people rave about Bruises on a Butterfly. I have it but haven't read it yet. Halo of Flies is heartbreaking horror. Lutzke has a very distinct style and I think he's criminally underappreciated.Â
    Good to hear about How the Skin Sheds. I have it on preorder through Thunderstorm. I haven't even heard of Bruises on a Butterfly, so something further for me to look into. I think it was your review of Halo of Flies that put it on my "must track down" list and then, of course, I couldn't find it. I've only recently added it to the collection, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Something always jumps the queue.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied

Why must you do this to me?! Why, sholloman, why? Fine...I'll have to track down a copy now. All joking aside, your review just solidifies what I've already heard about the book. I'm glad it was a good read. I've been hearing good things about both writers recently. I have Lutke's Halo of Flies and Cannibal Creator just waiting in the TBR queue. The Bedmakers sounds just up my alley, though.
    Yeah, you really should track it down if you are able and the price is fair. I finished it last night and haven't been able to stop thinking about it all morning. For a dark tale, the book has so much heart.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied

Why must you do this to me?! Why, sholloman, why? Fine...I'll have to track down a copy now. All joking aside, your review just solidifies what I've already heard about the book. I'm glad it was a good read. I've been hearing good things about both writers recently. I have Lutke's Halo of Flies and Cannibal Creator just waiting in the TBR queue. The Bedmakers sounds just up my alley, though.
    How the Skin Sheds is an excellent Lutzke title and I've heard a lot of people rave about Bruises on a Butterfly. I have it but haven't read it yet. Halo of Flies is heartbreaking horror. Lutzke has a very distinct style and I think he's criminally underappreciated. 

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Chad Lutzke's & John Boden's "The Bedmakers". Had no idea of what to expect going into this one as I'd never read either author prior to this book. I was pretty much blown away. This was such a fantastic story. The characters felt so real, and the friendship of the two leads, Genie & Calvin, was very endearing. This is definitely not a horror story, though it does have some scary scenes. I'd characterize it as more of a dark tale. After reading this one, I hope these authors chose to collaborate again as I'd be in on a new book for sure!

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Chad Lutzke's & John Boden's "The Bedmakers". Had no idea of what to expect going into this one as I'd never read either author prior to this book. I was pretty much blown away. This was such a fantastic story. The characters felt so real, and the friendship of the two leads, Genie & Calvin, was very endearing. This is definitely not a horror story, though it does have some scary scenes. I'd characterize it as more of a dark tale. After reading this one, I hope these authors chose to collaborate again as I'd be in on a new book for sure!

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of the Golden/Keene edited Drive-in Multiplex Anthology book. I've seen some less than stellar reviews out there for this book; so, I've got my fingers crossed that I enjoy it more than they did. 

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Boggle Champion View Post
    Currently reading:
    City in Ruins by Don Winslow, 3rd book in Winslow's "City" trilogy. I'd rate the series good, not great. Would like to try other Winslow books though if anyone has some recommendations.
    I'm a huge Don Winslow fan and agree with you in regard to the "City trilogy", good not great. IMO, his best stuff occurred after he was done writing the Neal Carey series of books but before The Force in 2017. IMO, from The Force on, his stuff has been good but not special. I would definitely read Power of the Dog if you haven't done so. Savages is also very fun and is a somewhat newer title from his backlog.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I don't quite remember who brought it up--maybe Ron, but I believe someone else chimed in on it as well--but I just finished Blacktop Wasteland by S.A. Cosby and it was one heck of a book! This shot Cosby onto my "need to find other books by this author NOW!" list. It's a short, lean book and I had doubts that Cosby was going to pull of a satisfying ending, but for my buck (and that's all that the book cost me as I bought from a library book sale), he sure did. Reminded me of the best crime heist movies in all the right ways. So good. So to whomever it was that posted about the book: Thank you very much!

Leave a comment:

• Boggle Champion
    replied
    Last week I finished The Angel of Indian Lake by Stephen Graham Jones. Read/re-read the entire Indian Lake Trilogy in April, absolutely loved it. Chainsaw is sitll my favorite, but the series is a must-read for anyone who's happily seen too many horror movies. I intend to read a lot more SGJ going forward.
    Also finished The Black Ice (audiobook) by Michael Connelly, the second Harry Bosch novel. Wasn't on par with Black Echo which was a masterpiece, but still a great entry. I've listened to these two, but plan to read the next few volumes.

Currently reading:
    City in Ruins by Don Winslow, 3rd book in Winslow's "City" trilogy. I'd rate the series good, not great. Would like to try other Winslow books though if anyone has some recommendations.
    Cold, Black and Infinite by Todd Keisling. Been reading these stories in between books for about a month now, almost done with the collection. Great cosmic/folk horror. Has anyone read Devil's Creek by Keisling? I'd like to get into that one sometime soon.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied

I still haven't pulled the trigger on this one. I'm kinda hoping you'll come back completely disappointed so it'll save me some money. I have the feeling that won't be the case, though. Either way, curious to hear your thoughts.
    Too funny! I tell myself that same thing sometimes when I pass on a book that I'm on the fence about purchasing. I will definitely leave a review here when done.      

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

Am now reading the reading the Thunderstorm LE of Chad Lutzke's & John Boden's "The Bedmakers". This was a blind buy for me as I've never read either author, but I do trust Thunderstorm's taste and am hoping to find a gem!
    I still haven't pulled the trigger on this one. I'm kinda hoping you'll come back completely disappointed so it'll save me some money. I have the feeling that won't be the case, though. Either way, curious to hear your thoughts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X