X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boggle Champion
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I wasn't aware of this edition, but just tracked down the info on it. I'm inclined to wait for the SST edition -- assuming they're doing one -- but may weaken when Sunday's BB ordering period opens...we'll see. Only reason I'd go for the BB edition is that I'm betting SST is not doing a limited edition...but I'm thinking that's probably a losing gamble since they've done all the others.
    Yeah, I just hope that the UK special edition rights weren't transferred or anything.

If I hadn't pre-ordered the Barnes & Noble edition, I would have bought the Broken Binding one. I actually prefer the US trade edition cover though, and the extras in the b&n edition are a nice bonus.

Broken Binding said they'll be publishing more horror books in the future, so I'm definitely looking forward to what else they have in store.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Boggle Champion View Post

Anyone planning on picking up Broken Binding's edition of Horror Movie? It looks tempting, but I'd much prefer an SST edition. I hope the BB edition doesn't interfere with SST's Tremblay line.
    I wasn't aware of this edition, but just tracked down the info on it. I'm inclined to wait for the SST edition -- assuming they're doing one -- but may weaken when Sunday's BB ordering period opens...we'll see. Only reason I'd go for the BB edition is that I'm betting SST is not doing a limited edition...but I'm thinking that's probably a losing gamble since they've done all the others.

Leave a comment:

• Boggle Champion
    replied
    Finished You Like it Darker by Stephen King. I've always loved King's short stories, and this was another great collection. I preferred the shorter stories to the included novellas, which I'd put in the middle of the pack for King's novellas. The 'sequel' story was definitely not what I was expecting.

Currently listening to Harlan Coben's Fade Away, the 3rd in the Bolitar series. So far my least favorite, but I do enjoy Coben's style.

Yesterday I received Paul Tremblay's Horror Movie (b&n edition) in the mail. The red sprayed edges look excellent...I've been really looking forward to reading this one, but I've had Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted on my pile for a while now, and I think I'll be reading that one first. It'll be my first read by Palahniuk.

Anyone planning on picking up Broken Binding's edition of Horror Movie? It looks tempting, but I'd much prefer an SST edition. I hope the BB edition doesn't interfere with SST's Tremblay line.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Bryan Smith's "Kill the Hunter". Generally speaking, I enjoy Smiths stories, but I was a bit disappointed in this book. The story itself was pretty fun; however, it also feels a bit half-baked. Lots of things left unexplained or glossed over quickly, and just when the story really starts to take off, it abruptly ends. This one really should have been a novel as opposed to a novella as it needed more story. Overall, while there were things to like, this was an average read at best.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Edward Lee's "The Television".

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished up Subject 11 by Jeffrey Thomas.

Too weird, too slow, to little payoff at the end.

Starting The Pallbearers Club by Paul Tremblay.

I know this one hasn’t got much praise on the forum, but want to read it before Horror Movie comes out.

B

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuggers View Post

Dead Sea is incredible, that was my introduction to Curran and I've yet to be disappointed....but yeah with the success WHP has had with his back catalog I'm just assuming we're going to eventually get everything he's published in deluxe editions
    I'm sure that these will look great on a shelf. How's the quality of their lettereds? Similar to when they were doing the slipcase lettereds at Dark Regions back in the day?

Leave a comment:

• Chuggers
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I haven't read anything by Curran, but I keep meaning to. WHP seems to be on a tear with the Curran books. I was this close to pulling the trigger on their lettered of DEAD SEA.
    Dead Sea is incredible, that was my introduction to Curran and I've yet to be disappointed....but yeah with the success WHP has had with his back catalog I'm just assuming we're going to eventually get everything he's published in deluxe editions

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

My experience was limited to THE RITUAL — which had a great first half — and BANQUET FOR THE DAMNED, which did a nice job of evoking a setting, albeit at the cost of character. This was my first of his recent self-published work, and I won’t be going back to that well. Poor characterization, excruciatingly drawn-out scenes, and a way of writing in a self-aware, almost purple-prose style that utilized overwrought, odd word choice, a very distracting style that I don’t remember from those two aforementioned novels.
    Oof. I guess I'll be continuing to steer clear of his work for now.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuggers View Post
    Cracking open the lettered deluxe WHP edition of Biohazard by Tim Curran
    I haven't read anything by Curran, but I keep meaning to. WHP seems to be on a tear with the Curran books. I was this close to pulling the trigger on their lettered of DEAD SEA.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    About halfway through Subject 11, a novella / short novel by Jeffrey Thomas.

At this point, no idea what it’s really about or where it’s going.

B
    That reminds me that I need to get around to reading the Punktown set from Centipede. I keep putting it off as I do with collections and anthologies.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I'm trying his short stories, Some Will not Sleep, so fingers crossed!
    I've enjoyed his short story collections very much.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

My experience was limited to THE RITUAL — which had a great first half — and BANQUET FOR THE DAMNED, which did a nice job of evoking a setting, albeit at the cost of character. This was my first of his recent self-published work, and I won’t be going back to that well. Poor characterization, excruciatingly drawn-out scenes, and a way of writing in a self-aware, almost purple-prose style that utilized overwrought, odd word choice, a very distracting style that I don’t remember from those two aforementioned novels.
    I'm trying his short stories, Some Will not Sleep, so fingers crossed!

Leave a comment:

• Chuggers
    replied
    Cracking open the lettered deluxe WHP edition of Biohazard by Tim Curran

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    About halfway through Subject 11, a novella / short novel by Jeffrey Thomas.

At this point, no idea what it’s really about or where it’s going.

B

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Well, that's a bummer. I was hoping for a great review to give me a reason to try Nevill again. I read The Ritual due to all the rave reviews and really found it to be a slog. There was some good ideas and some great set pieces but it just dragged on and on. In fact, it is the only instance in which I think the movie is so much better than the book. That being said, I've been meaning to try another one of his books because he does seem to have a solid following. Your sparse comments coupled with some reviews I've read has given me the sense that Fiends of Hell is not the one I should try.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X