Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Came back to this story for more punishment. It is not the worst thing ever but I'm back to maybe shelving it. We are now unto some not so subtle social-polotical commentary, which are jabs, and a very long and boring action sequence that lacked any type of character connection.

Authors please take note and if you have political commentary please keep it subtle so you don't alienate some of your readers. I do not like reading this stuff while I'm trying to enjoy a fictional story.

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I will plug away a little bit more and see what develops. The main issue is the descriptive way he writes each scene/sequence. It's like reading a manual.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading "Pines" by Blake Crouch. Picked-up the LE from Gauntlet/Borderlands a while back and finally decided to give it a go. In terms of the book itself, this is probably one of the more underwhelming limited editions that I own. The cover-art seems like your basic stock-art picture. Nothing really special about the paper quality, and there was no art in the book. About the only thing that makes it a limited edition, IMO, is the author signature-sheet and the lower print-run for this version. In terms of the story itself, I was blown away. This was my first read of a Blake Crouch book and definitely won't be my last if this one is anything to go by. "Pines" was such a propulsive read, almost impossible to put down. Really enjoyed the creep factor of Wayward Pines and its inhabitants. Also really enjoyed the mystery element of the story which kept me guessing right up until the end. Can't wait to read the sequel, "Wayward", once it is released by Gauntlet/Borderlands end of year to see what happens next. My only complaint going forward would be that I wish these editions were a bit more lavish as I think these will be stories that truly deserve that sort of treatment!

On a side note- Apparently this series was turned into a television series. Didn't know that and have no idea if it was any good. May have to check it out if the sequel books live up to my expectations.

Leave a comment:

• njhorror
    replied
    Just finished THE NORTH WATER by Ian McGuire. It can be rough reading for some people.
    I enjoyed it very much. At points it gives off a vibe like "The Terror" by Dan Simmons. There is some violence, although that is not its selling point, and the implication of self prostitution by a minor, but in context it doesn't seem all that shocking. A well told story.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    Keep us posted on HEAT 2. HEAT is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I'm curious about the book. Although I do have to admit that, as big a fan as I am, I have never been the least bit curious about the lives of any of the characters before or after the events of the movie.

And where did you score a signed copy? I'd love to get one myself!
    Mysterious Bookshop had a limited quantity of copies signed by Mann, done exclusively for them, I believe, as a favor to Otto Penzler, the owner. Sold out pretty fast.

Heat is one of my favorite films as well, very curious to see where this book goes. I’ll be sure to report back on it.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Gonna second dannyboy’s request for feedback on HEAT 2. I’ve been on the fence about picking it up.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Keep us posted on HEAT 2. HEAT is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I'm curious about the book. Although I do have to admit that, as big a fan as I am, I have never been the least bit curious about the lives of any of the characters before or after the events of the movie.

And where did you score a signed copy? I'd love to get one myself!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Finished a couple Fracassi novellas, now on to HEAT 2 by Michael Mann (signed) and Meg Gardiner.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished up Swedish Cults by Anders Fager, a collection of Lovecraft inspired stories set in Sweden and Norway, which I liked a lot.

Currently about a third of the way through The Possession by Michael Rutger, and also enjoying this one very much.

B

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Am very intrigued by this post. I loved those movies (HE HUSTLER and THE COLOR OF MONEY) and did not even realize they were based on a book. I ashamedly have never heard of this author but will have to remedy that at some point soon! I mean, if Centipede is doing an edition, than he must be a worthwhile author!
    Tevis also did THE QUEEN’S GAMBIT, which was a fantastic miniseries on Netflix not too long ago. I finished THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH, and while I wasn’t bowled over by it, I did enjoy it enough to look forward to those other two, THE HUSTLER and THE COLOR OF MONEY.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    On a bit of a Walter Tevis kick at the moment, and just finished THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH. Centipede also has an edition of it forthcoming, so it was nice to acquaint myself with it (for the first time) beforehand. I have THE HUSTLER and THE COLOR OF MONEY waiting in the TBR pile.
    Am very intrigued by this post. I loved those movies (HE HUSTLER and THE COLOR OF MONEY) and did not even realize they were based on a book. I ashamedly have never heard of this author but will have to remedy that at some point soon! I mean, if Centipede is doing an edition, than he must be a worthwhile author!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    On a bit of a Walter Tevis kick at the moment, and just finished THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH. Centipede also has an edition of it forthcoming, so it was nice to acquaint myself with it (for the first time) beforehand. I have THE HUSTLER and THE COLOR OF MONEY waiting in the TBR pile.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    That Straub experience is why I’ve been too wary to reread GHOST STORY, a novel I have very fond memories of and a book I consider an essential classic and Straub’s finest work, right up there with King’s early classics.

I’d rather just let that belief stay frozen in amber.
    For what it’s worth, I’ve reread Ghost Story & liked it more the second time.

First read was in the mid 80’s when I was on a Straub kick in high school.

Reread it in the mid to late 90’s when the SF book club came out with the Stephen King library.

I think I got more of the story (as it is a very involved read) the second time around ( also probably helped that I was older).

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished Dust Devils by Jonathan Janz. A definite disappointment.

Plan on starting Swedish Cults by Ander Fager tonight.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished F. Paul Wilson's "Midnight Mass". While not a ground breaking book by any means, I found it to be a very enjoyable vampire tale. The characterization was strong and there were lots of interesting scenes. Took a lot of the usual vampire troupes and either expanded on them or subverted them. Also enjoyed the various types of vampires displayed and their hierarchy. All that being said, this book did have some flaws. The religious bits in the book skew very Christian/Catholic. It didn't bother me and there is a very compelling reason for this story-wise; however, there were some lines and ideas in there that will be offensive to other religions, especially Islam & Judaism. I also didn't realize until I was about three-quarters of the way in, but, the book reads like the beginning of a series. Not sure if that was the intent, especially as Wilson hasn't written a follow-up in the almost 20 years since this one's publication; however, the last chapter definitely left a lot of room for more with a few of the characters left in (almost) cliffhanger like situations. Overall, I would recommend this book as it is a very solid vampire tale; however, it probably wouldn't crack my top-ten vampire books/stories of all-time.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Currently reading HIDDEN PICTURES by Jason Rekulak.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X