X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post

I couldn’t make it to the half way point on this one, but based on your assessment & other reviews that say you need to finish the book, I may have to give it another shot.

B
    Totally understand. If I hadn't purchased my copy from Lividian and had instead just purchased a trade or paperback copy, then I probably wouldn't have continued on past the half way mark as I was really turned off by the book at that point; however, like previously mentioned, the 2nd half does get much better as the picture starts to come into focus and you realize exactly what the author is doing. If you can make it over that hump, I think you'll find the payoff well worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I will plug away a little bit more and see what develops. The main issue is the descriptive way he writes each scene/sequence. It's like reading a manual.

If you’re not engrossed in the story by page 80, odds are you won’t be (engrossed) moving forward.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished Guests by KPB. A very solid 4-story collection.

In between (as I was only reading Guests on the weekends) I was reading New Mythos Legends ed. by Bruce Gehweiler.

Quite the contrast with Guests, and not in a good way.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Started reading Survivor Song by Tremblay. Only 78 pages in and finding it to be a slog. There have already been sequences which I am only scanning and there were 5 pages of texts which I skippafter the first page. Not a fan of texts in my life and don't find them anymore appealing in a book.
    Read this a couple of months ago and thought it was great.

One of my favorite books so far this year.

If you’re not engrossed in the story by page 80, odds are you won’t be (engrossed) moving forward.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Not a fan of this collection…found myself doing a lot of skimming, ultimately a DNF. I won’t be going back to the Volk well for more…one and done.
    Sorry to hear your Volk experience didn’t work out.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished Catronia Ward's "Last House on Needless Street". Had picked-up a copy via Lividian. First time reading anything by the author but had heard the hype for the book and decided to give it a try. I struggled through the first half of the book and was very close to tapping out; however, I forced myself to continue and am glad I did so as the second half got much better, and the ending was a revelation. Totally forced me to reassess my feelings towards the book. Normally, I would give some details as to why; however, this is a very spoiler-heavy book. Overall, I am very glad to have read this and to have added this book to my collection.
    I couldn’t make it to the half way point on this one, but based on your assessment & other reviews that say you need to finish the book, I may have to give it another shot.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished Catronia Ward's "Last House on Needless Street". Had picked-up a copy via Lividian. First time reading anything by the author but had heard the hype for the book and decided to give it a try. I struggled through the first half of the book and was very close to tapping out; however, I forced myself to continue and am glad I did so as the second half got much better, and the ending was a revelation. Totally forced me to reassess my feelings towards the book. Normally, I would give some details as to why; however, this is a very spoiler-heavy book. Overall, I am very glad to have read this and to have added this book to my collection.
    Last edited by sholloman81; 07-17-2022, 11:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Started reading Survivor Song by Tremblay. Only 78 pages in and finding it to be a slog. There have already been sequences which I am only scanning and there were 5 pages of texts which I skipped after the first page. Not a fan of texts in my life and don't find them anymore appealing in a book.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Trying Stephen Volk for the first time, a PS Publishing short-story collection. Only one story in so far, so too early to tell if this is a keeper or not...Nathan Ballingrud sure talks up Volk in his introduction, but we'll see.
    Not a fan of this collection…found myself doing a lot of skimming, ultimately a DNF. I won’t be going back to the Volk well for more…one and done.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading Michael McDowell's "Blackwater". This was my first time reading anything by McDowell and my mind has officially been blown. I can't remember the last time I have ever read something this good, that had such an impact on me. Definitely the best Southern Gothic that I have ever read. I've basically fallen head over heels with this story and now have it very high on my all-time-favorites list! Is it horrible that I already want to read it again? Feels so bittersweet knowing that I won't get to spend anymore time with the Caskey family. Overall, cannot recommend this book enough! Please do yourself a favor and seek this out if you haven't read it.

Will probably read Catronia Ward's "Last House on Needless Street" next. Have never read this author; however, after seeing all of the praise for this book, I decided to pick-up a copy from Lividian when it was offered. Think it's finally time to give it a go!
    Last edited by sholloman81; 07-13-2022, 03:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    I’ve been meaning to try Stephen Volk for a long time. Every time PS announces a new collection, I tell myself I’m going to buy it, but never do. I need to just bite the bullet.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

I’ve really liked Volk’s work over the last 10 years or so.

I think he’s one of the best short story writers in the genre.

B
    That’s great to hear (not that I didn’t trust Ballingrud’s introduction, but…) — looking forward to diving back in tonight.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished up Black Heart Boys Choir by Curtis Lawson. I liked it, though there are several places that a complete suspension of disbelief is required to move the story along. It was a short book & fast paced. Lawson hits the ground running & doesn’t let up until the Carrie-esque conclusion, which unfortunately felt rushed.

Started Guests by Kealan Patrick Burke. Read the title story first & liked it a lot. Will probably start Blanky tonight.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Trying Stephen Volk for the first time, a PS Publishing short-story collection. Only one story in so far, so too early to tell if this is a keeper or not...Nathan Ballingrud sure talks up Volk in his introduction, but we'll see.
    I’ve really liked Volk’s work over the last 10 years or so.

I think he’s one of the best short story writers in the genre.

B

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X