X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I've yet to read a Strand book. I have the Earthling edition of THE HAUNTED FOREST TOUR but haven't gotten around to reading it. I've also missed out on all the TSB limited editions of his that have been coming out of late. I think the last one was CLOWNS VS. SPIDERS, which sounds interesting, but hard to plunk $99 on when I'm not sure of the author.
    I’m a big fan of Strand, and have most of his body of work. It’s immensely readable, and as mentioned, just plain fun. The jokiness and patter can, at times, be a bit much, and the dialogue among the characters a little one-note, but all in all it’s incredibly entertaining stuff. I wouldn’t start with CLOWNS VS SPIDERS, however, as it’s one of his works that reviews seem to suggest (I haven’t read it yet) suffers disproportionately from those aforementioned quirks. Lots of other great ones to try, though, that are sure to make you a fan as well.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Six chapters into One Who Was With Me by Conrad Williams. Intrigued but not sure were it is going at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Exactly...my recent run of reads has been less than satisfying. I'm pretty confident Strand will break the streak.
    I've yet to read a Strand book. I have the Earthling edition of THE HAUNTED FOREST TOUR but haven't gotten around to reading it. I've also missed out on all the TSB limited editions of his that have been coming out of late. I think the last one was CLOWNS VS. SPIDERS, which sounds interesting, but hard to plunk $99 on when I'm not sure of the author.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Exactly...my recent run of reads has been less than satisfying. I'm pretty confident Strand will break the streak.
    Strand 's books are just pure fun. Even his brutal books are fun. One of my favorite authors.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I've had those "reading blocks" and their brutal. Sometimes I just can't engage and I know it's me and not the book. This usually happens after a run of mediocre books. I occasionally have to dip back into the well of beloved authors or books to break through and regain that momentum.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X