Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Just read Jerzy Kosinski’s THE PAINTED BIRD, and it may be the darkest, most bleak book I’ve ever read. Also one of the best; I can’t stop thinking about it.

Now reading SEVENTEEN, a hitman/spy novel…had to lighten things up a bit after BIRD,

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Am about a quarter of the way through the new Robert Mccammon, The King of Shadows. So far, so good. I really love the Matthew Corbett series and can't wait to see how he wraps it up!

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Started The Black Company by Glen Cook this morning.

Only 30 pages in so far, not really far enough to make an impression at this point.

B
    Hope you stick with it and end up enjoying it, one of my favorite series. He is certainly one of the founding fathers of the Grimdark branch of fantasy.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    The other night I finished the fourth (and apparently last) book in Becky Chambers's Wayfarers series - The Galaxy, and the Ground Within. Loved it like usual. Just a fun and amazing sci-fi series about the people (well, not human people, species people.)

To give myself a little break from regular book-books, last night I started Darwyn Cooke's Ego collection from DC Comics. I wish I was aware of Darwyn when he was still with us because damn, what a talent.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Started The Black Company by Glen Cook this morning.

Only 30 pages in so far, not really far enough to make an impression at this point.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the "Gwendy" series on my lunch break at work. Had been waiting until I received the LE for Final Task from SST before plowing through them all. OMG, the ending of this series totally wrecked me. Am sitting here at work all emotional and up in my feelings. Enjoyed all three books, but, truly loved the last book, Final Task. Adored all of the Dark Tower & Derry references. Also really loved the character of Gwendy. What a way to go out! She's definitely rocketed-up my list of all-time favorite SK characters. So happy to have these three books on my shelf!

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Half way through Road of Bones by Christopher Golden and liking it a lot so far.

A very atmospheric & quick paced read.

B
    The second half of the story held up pretty good.

A short, fast paced novel and Golden keeps the tension ratcheted up.

Not a whole lot of explanation (& that may have helped the story).

Now to finish up Inspector Lestrade: The Black Temple & Other Stories by William Meikle.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Half way through Road of Bones by Christopher Golden and liking it a lot so far.

A very atmospheric & quick paced read.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

That edition looks really cool. The other Annotated classics (that are suggested companions) aren't from Mysterious Press, so I assume they're not similar? Any idea/
    The Dracula & Frankenstein editions were both done by other publishers (Dracula by Norton & Frankenstein by Liverpool (??)). Stylistically, the covers for all three are similar. I couldn’t comment on the interior content, as I only have the Jekyll & Hyde version from Mysterious Press, which if you are a fan of the story I would highly recommend.

B

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Started Stephen Graham Jones's My Heart is a Chainsaw last week, and was really enjoying the first part of it because I was hearing his voice while reading it. I've seen him twice recently so I have a good memory of his cadence when he speaks which translates very well to his written words.

But after about 30% of the book, I'm struggling a little bit. I think it's because I've just been so damn tired when I get to bed and try to read.

Was speaking to a buddy about SGJ and he asked if I had read Mongrels yet. I haven't, but it gave me a good idea of a reading theme next year. Werewolves.I have quite a few werewolf books that I've read and not read before, and think it could make a good theme. We'll see if that happens or not.
    On the last chapter right now. Stayed up late to finish the bonkers penultimate chapter last night, and feel confident I can finish this before the end of the year.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Finished the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson from Mysterious Press.

The MP version contained the original novella, proposed changes & edits by Stevenson, an extensive (very!) introduction by Leslie Klinger, and appendices on the various film, play, and graphic adaptations.

B
    That edition looks really cool. The other Annotated classics (that are suggested companions) aren't from Mysterious Press, so I assume they're not similar? Any idea/

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Currently Reading "Three Dark Windows" by Bryan Smith

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    About 140 pages into Anno Dracula by Kim Newman & really enjoying it so far.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Currently reading The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories, Vol. 5.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson from Mysterious Press.

The MP version contained the original novella, proposed changes & edits by Stevenson, an extensive (very!) introduction by Leslie Klinger, and appendices on the various film, play, and graphic adaptations.

B

Leave a comment:

Working...
X